Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    BA Lost Ranger
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles

Big Anges Air Core Pad

Hey guys. I've been using the Big Agnes Lost Ranger and CCF pad combo with great success (down to 38 degrees with no problems) but with Christmas around the corner I'm looking to upgrade. I want the something with less bulk and a little more insulation. My first thought was an UQ but they're pretty pricey and I like the convenience of being able to go to the ground if I need to. That's where I ran into problems as the CCF pad is pretty uncomfortable on the ground. Does anyone have experience with an BA air core pad?

Hammock
    Clarke NX-250
    Tarp
    Clarke Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator 0
    Suspension
    Tree Strap/rings
    Ive used the Big Agnes Insulated mummy air core pad with my sleeping bag while sleeping in a tent and I have never had a problem with it.

i have a similar inflatable (exped). It totally changes the feel of the hammock compared to ccf: stiff and rigid, which you may or may not like. It also opens up the hammock and there's no shoulder squeeze. You'll be lifted up almost four inches, and this can make it feel easy to fall out of the hammock. Inflating/deflating/packing is burdensome. Personally, I prefer ccf and underquilts. Or maybe a small inflatable on top of ccf (like Shug's setup).

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

BA ins air pad

I have used the BA insulated air pad both inside a HH Expedition, and between the HH and SS under cover. As has been said, it does change the 'hammock comfort' feel. It was however plenty warm in both positions to freezing, with very slight condensation in the folds of the pad. I have never used it at below 30 deg. however, and don't know how low it would acceptably go for warmth. Weighing in at 28 oz. I don't use it in favor of my DIY down UQ. It's that downy goodness factor. But I might add it to a sled pack winter trip just to experiment some time.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    I have used the BA insulated air pad both inside a HH Expedition, and between the HH and SS under cover. As has been said, it does change the 'hammock comfort' feel. It was however plenty warm in both positions to freezing, with very slight condensation in the folds of the pad. I have never used it at below 30 deg. however, and don't know how low it would acceptably go for warmth. Weighing in at 28 oz. I don't use it in favor of my DIY down UQ. It's that downy goodness factor. But I might add it to a sled pack winter trip just to experiment some time.
    +1 I have the Lost Ranger and insulated air core pad... they both work OK, but I had to underinflate the pad to make it comfortable.... biggest drawback is the weight of this setup... I've since purchased a TQ/UQ combo - significant improvement on both weight, comfort and ease of setup/teardown.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I carry half a z-rest pad (6 sections) , and either a Thermarest Prolite or a Big Agnes insulated aircore (in both cases, I carry the short pad...60" for the BA IIRC).

The z-rest is usually for lunch stops, but it's also available for using under the BA if needed for warmth or to protect the inflatable... as you said, the combo gives you the option of going to the ground. Just don't blow it up so hard that it turns into a surfboard!

Works just fine in either my Blackbird or Hennessey.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    I used the BA air core pad a couple weeks ago as added insulation when the temps dropped below the rating of my underquilt. I have a hennessy expedition. I barely inflated the pad, and still let air out after I climbed in. It does change the feel of the hammock, but I was comfortable and warm. I had very little air in the pad, so I'm not sure how well it would work as the only form of insulation. It was in the low 20s when I tried it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY

Big Anges Air Core Pad

The Big Agnes sleep system worked ok for me, but I'm a wriggler & always end up at the edge of the pad with a cold spot a some point.
    Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, & narrow-mindedness, & many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men & things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
    Mark Twain

Hammocking in SoCal

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    BA Lost Ranger
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Thanks for all the replies. Such a hard decision, I want the UQ for the comfort but I really like the thought of the air pad if I do have to go ground. Just wish there was an easy way to go to the ground with an UQ.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY

Big Anges Air Core Pad

Quote Originally Posted by Gannoli View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Such a hard decision, I want the UQ for the comfort but I really like the thought of the air pad if I do have to go ground. Just wish there was an easy way to go to the ground with an UQ.
    I'm in the same boat... I've slept on air pads & foam in my hammock. Personally preferred the foam, but still want an under quilt. Once I pull that trigger, I think I'll keep a torso length pad in the kit as go-to-ground/too-cold-night insurance. Rest of the time it'll be a doubled up leg pad.
    Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, & narrow-mindedness, & many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men & things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
    Mark Twain

Hammocking in SoCal

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast