Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    and don't forget that fluid follows gravitational force. Makes a bit of a difference where that funnel is with respect to the side of the hammock

I'm of the "middle of the night is a fine time to see the stars and check the rigging" school of relieving oneself.

Grizz
    I'm with Grizz on this one, fo' sure. I couldn't imagine missing while p....... Anyway, I like to check the rigging in the middle of the night, see what's happening in camp, etc. if I have to go. Otherwise, I just hold it until I'm going to actually get up. I'm usually an early riser, and manning the breakfast fire. That's because I have to get up to pee, and it's real rare that once up, I'll go back to sleep.

Images
    I had to pee every night on my thru, and not once did I leave my hammock to do so. I put my gear under my hammock and slightly off center to one side. Then when I had to go I would look out to make sure I was leaning out the side where the gear wasn't and went. Never hit my hammock or gear. Also never stepped out into urine. I stepped out on the other side over my gear.

As for people walking by and seeing a hiker leaning out of the hammock, it happens. Especially when you sleep till 2 or 3 pm and your pee break comes at 10 or 11 am. They don't get disgusted, just more jealous of yet another advantage of the hammock.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Images
    i dont keep a pee bottle by the bed at home..so getting up and walking the 10 or so steps to the pee tree is no big deal..if u are one of those who will pee 40 times a night sleep in layers so your getting up does't chill u and u can dose right back off

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    i dont keep a pee bottle by the bed at home..so getting up and walking the 10 or so steps to the pee tree is no big deal..if u are one of those who will pee 40 times a night sleep in layers so your getting up does't chill u and u can dose right back off
    Yes, but if you were to ever keep a pee bottle next to your bed you will never get up to go again.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Yes, but if you were to ever keep a pee bottle next to your bed you will never get up to go again.
    Hey man, you're not helping your chances of attracting a "hammock princes"
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Well they say with other things that those who say they dont and other lie about it and say they dont. I am not going to lie I on every hammock camping or Hiking trip will carry a empty Gatoraid bottle and use it every time. I hate having to get out and Pee even when it's nice out. I have found in the past that if it's colder out and your body get's cold I have to pee more often which mean's I would have to get out of bed several times at night. It use to puzzle me that I could drink way more at home and not get up at night and pee but every time I would go out and camp I would have to pee more. since I started hanging I don't have to as much but can almost always count on having to pee at least once at night.

The Gatoraid bottle is a clear bottle not to be confused for something else. I lay on my side and tilt the bottle towards me at about a 40-30 degree angle and lean into it. as some have stated that it could be a problem when you have more. my fingers are my guide line when I feel the warmth on my fingers I know that I am getting close. When done I tighten up the lid real good and store in between my legs for warmth no since in throwing away good heat in the winter not to mention I don't lose all the warmth of the bedding I am laying in and also not letting my body cool down by standing out side taking care of mother nature and by the time I wake in the morning I just take it out with me and away from camp and water and poor it out.

It may not work for some but I sure am glad that it works for me.

just my 2 penny's worth.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post

The Gatoraid bottle is a clear bottle not to be confused for something else. I lay on my side and tilt the bottle towards me at about a 40-30 degree angle and lean into it. as some have stated that it could be a problem when you have more. my fingers are my guide line when I feel the warmth on my fingers I know that I am getting close. When done I tighten up the lid real good and store in between my legs for warmth no since in throwing away good heat in the winter not to mention I don't lose all the warmth of the bedding I am laying in and also not letting my body cool down by standing out side taking care of mother nature and by the time I wake in the morning I just take it out with me and away from camp and water and poor it out.

It may not work for some but I sure am glad that it works for me.

just my 2 penny's worth.
    I guess we are in the minority CD, but I'm with you. Due to my back injury I sometimes go 6 or even 8 times a night. It's the same even when I'm at home. There's no way I'm getting up that many times from my hammock. Gatoraid bottles rock for this task and have never failed me. I too use it for warmth afterward. When it needs to be emptied, I just reach out at arms length and pour it on the DOWNHILL side of my camp. I used to just go over the side if my hammock but one has to be careful as it is possible to dribble on the fabric and also trails the urine right into camp, which is not always downhill. Lastly, there should be no "eeewwww" factor with urine. Most would not think twice about sticking a cut finger into their mouths. Urine is just a protein free filtrate of your blood. No more no less.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I once made an attempt to pee out the side of the hammock, but the ground was too cold. (smile)

All joking aside, I am fortunate at 56 to still get up only once, and it is a great time to check out the night sky, listen for critters, check camp, etc. Some of my fondest memories of camping involve times I have gotten up. I used to do the bottle thing when winter camping in a tent because crawling in and out of the tent was such a hassle. Now with the hammock, it seems so much easier, I don't use the bottle.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have only used the gatorade bottle once as a test, and it worked well enough.

It's yet another tool in the toolbox... good to have if you need it.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I have only used the gatorade bottle once as a test, and it worked well enough.

It's yet another tool in the toolbox... good to have if you need it.
    What, like your zipper on your bugnet is jammed? Or both your legs and one arm is broken? 'Cause that's what it would take for me to have to pee in my hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast