Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How I discovered Hammocking

Years ago, when I was just out of high school, some friends and I went backpacking in the high sierra mountains. It was 1981...I had one of those lightweight string hammocks. As I recall, it was great when we would settle down after hours of walking. Fast forward to the fall of 2012, and I thought I would see if I could find another string hammock like I had way back when...I went to REI and found the ENO double nest...It was NOTHING like my old hammock! Soon, I looked on the internet to see what I could find out about hammock camping...Surely someone must have done it...Viola! I stumbled across this forum, and the rest is history! I now have a Wilderness Logics Light Owl, as well as my ENO "guest hammock"...I've made my own whoopie slings and toggles. I've purchased an underground 20 degree underquilt, and I take them wherever I hike. I'm looking forward to hitting the trail this Summer, and enjoying the high sierras, in comfort! How did you get into hammocking?

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I got into hammocking after trying a friend's Hennessy for about five minutes, then went and got my own. After sleeping for sometimes 11 or 12 hours out camping with absolutely no back pain, I gave my bed to my sister and set one up in my bedroom. Best thing I ever did for myself after quitting smoking
    Debi

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Blue pads, Thermarest, Big Angnus, Sgt Rock, Hammock, Hammock Forums, Evolution Baby!

Hammock
    DIY 4x9 1.1 oz ripstop (5.3 oz)
    Tarp
    ZPack Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    DG UCRs, Mule Tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnmanmike View Post
    How did you get into hammocking?
    2000, I was looking for a way to only make one portage trip (pack and canoe) in the Boundary Waters. That led me to ultralight hiking and building cedar kayaks (2001-2), which led me to AT hiking (2003) which led me to hammock camping (2003). (As I remember it)

I am coming up on the 10th anniversary of my first section hike on the AT this May. I hammock camped on that trip.
    Rick (Risk) Website: http://www.imrisk.com
    I cook. I sew. I walk. I lead. I hang. I write. I play.
    Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.amazon.com/Wildly-Success.../dp/B00COCI5HW

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Last spring I was looking to buy a new knife. So was looking at knife vids and tests on YT. That meant a lot of these so called "Bushcraft" vids. And I though "So thats what I ahve been doing all my life...bushcraft. Anyway, those Bushcraft people like their hammocks. And one of them sent me and old Army Jungle Hammock. I had one night in it before the winter hit, and that was it. I am returning to the trees for the remainder of my outdoors life.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    This thread in the intro section will give you hours of reading: "What made you a "hanger?""
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti
    During off time from college I live in Aspen with family. I love mountain biking and one day I climb on my bike to the top of one very unknown mountain trail where it was just beautiful. I thought I'd like to sleep overnight there, maybe do some "Bear Grylls / Les Stroud" survival stuff (nah... just learn it)
    I found backpacker magazine, went to their award wining gear. I noticed they had a category for ultralight equipment. I started research, got Andrew Skurka book, in sleeping systems read about hammocking. He notices (in my edition) that hammock camping is not light.... I made my own research on that after reading EVERYWHERE hammock camping is way more comfortable. Found this forum, now completing my list of gear. Not a single hammock hang (yet)
    Bit crazy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiktor View Post
    During off time from college I live in Aspen with family. I love mountain biking and one day I climb on my bike to the top of one very unknown mountain trail where it was just beautiful. I thought I'd like to sleep overnight there, maybe do some "Bear Grylls / Les Stroud" survival stuff (nah... just learn it)
    I found backpacker magazine, went to their award wining gear. I noticed they had a category for ultralight equipment. I started research, got Andrew Skurka book, in sleeping systems read about hammocking. He notices (in my edition) that hammock camping is not light.... I made my own research on that after reading EVERYWHERE hammock camping is way more comfortable. Found this forum, now completing my list of gear. Not a single hammock hang (yet)
    Bit crazy
    I first learned of hammocking while looking at BackpackingLight.com, back when they were trying out Cuben hammocks (which apparently fail under stress, I haven't seen any recent attempts at this). The general argument at the time was that hammocks weigh too much to be ultralight. After finding this forum and doing research on my own, I found out that hammocks don't have to be so heavy. I think the only weight that necessarily has to be greater in a hammock as opposed to a tarp is that you need suspension for the hammock; everything else is a wash. So, effectively, for the weight cost of a couple of straps and a couple of pieces of rope, you get to sleep comfortably at night.

A few hangs in the Sierras, and I was hooked. I really hate when I have to go camping in the desert now, because I have to leave behind my beloved hammock

Now I am spending all my spare money on hammocking I have a new underquilt I'm desperate to try out (just as soon as my boss stops bothering me!). It's such a comfortably addicting hobby

Hammock
    eno single nest hammock
    Insulation
    0 degree bag
    well me and my friend went into REI one day and saw these hammocks. eno hammocks to be exact so out of plain curiosity me and him both bought one. and just like you i figured i was not the only one who took a hammock with them on hiking trips. and i found this place. sense i got my hammock i have never went back to sleeping on the ground.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    For me, it was the creaky bones of a 50+ year old body against the hard, lumpy, wet, stick, pine cone and rock infested ground resulting in sore hips, knees, back and anything else that cam in contact with it. I came across Just Jeff's page, which led me here.

ps- you may be a long lost cousin
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast