Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

Best roads to Grayson Highland Park for Mt. Rogers Hang

I'll be coming from West Virginia south on I-77 then south/west on I-81 heading to Grayson Highland State Park.

Following I-81, Mapquest says to take Exit 60/VA-90 toward Rural Retreat and go south using VA-90 and VA-11 hooking up with VA-16. (On my VA map I only see Rt.614. Not a 90 or 11 listed.)

Is 90 & 11 South a better route than staying on I-81 and getting off at Exit 45/Marion and simply follow VA-16 down to VA-58.

Not a big deal, just thought if someone who knows the roads has an opinion I'd follow their suggestion. And don't know if one route is better than other if weather turns snowy.

Thanks.

11 parallels I81. 90 turns into 749 at Rural Retreat then 614 at Cedar Springs. If you got off on 16, you'd have to backtrack aways before 16 turns south and heads to hwy 58.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Assuming one was coming from Abingdon what would the best route be? Going to Damscus then taking 58 East?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Some of those that have used those routes will be able to give the best answers when they get back to HF.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

I'll be coming from West Virginia south on I-77 then south/west on I-81 heading to Grayson Highland State Park.

Following I-81, Mapquest says to take Exit 60/VA-90 toward Rural Retreat and go south using VA-90 and VA-11 hooking up with VA-16. (On my VA map I only see Rt.614. Not a 90 or 11 listed.)

Is 90 & 11 South a better route than staying on I-81 and getting off at Exit 45/Marion and simply follow VA-16 down to VA-58.

Not a big deal, just thought if someone who knows the roads has an opinion I'd follow their suggestion. And don't know if one route is better than other if weather turns snowy.

Thanks.

Go to exit 45 instead, take a left at the bottom of the ramp you are now on HWY 16. Proceed on 16 East till you see the sign for the park, the sign is in the town of Volney. If anyone needs more precise directions please feel free to PM me. I grew up in the general area and visit the park often. The other way through Rural Retreat is a mountainous secondary road. It is not faster but a more direct route. Maybe more scenic, but easy to get lost that way.

Assuming one was coming from Abingdon what would the best route be? Going to Damscus then taking 58 East?

Yes.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hnryclay View Post

Go to exit 45 instead, take a left at the bottom of the ramp you are now on HWY 16. Proceed on 16 East till you see the sign for the park, the sign is in the town of Volney. If anyone needs more precise directions please feel free to PM me. I grew up in the general area and visit the park often. The other way through Rural Retreat is a mountainous secondary road. It is not faster but a more direct route. Maybe more scenic, but easy to get lost that way.
    Thanks for info!

• + New Posts