Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images

Question Why Are Folks Still Buying Sportsman's Tarps?

Okay, I drank the "Cheap Sportsman's Tarp" Kool Aid and found it to be a bitter brew.

(See review here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=70111) Accordingly, my Sportsman's tarp has been returned to the vendor once I got a look at the poor quality and deceptive sizing of it.

Following more research (here on Hammock Forums, White Blaze, and other places), I found what I consider to be a superior tarp solution for only a little more money, albeit with more weight. (See review here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=70219) I also found at least one other similarly high quality tarp at exactly the same price...and similar weight point.l

So, I really have to ask, why are folks still so focused on buying a poor quality tarp from a company which clearly does not care to tell its customers the truth about what they are buying. What is it I am missing here?

Enlighten me.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The price is really attractive. Last year I bought the GG 12 x 12 based on the stellar reviews, but the tarp I received was unusable (unless you don't mind getting wet).

The strange thing about last year was that there were folks like me that said the GG tarps weren't worth a plug nickel, and others that thought it was great and kept them dry as a bone in monsoons. Did we get two different tarps? Or do some people just not take the time to actually test the tarps and some do?

Same thing about this tarp. Some think it's great, and others think it's useless. I don't understand it either.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles

Following more research (here on Hammock Forums, White Blaze, and other places), I found what I consider to be a superior tarp solution for only a little more money, albeit with more weight. (See review here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=70219) I also found at least one other similarly high quality tarp at exactly the same price...and similar weight point.l

[/COLOR]
    Not to be argumentative, but, for me, $80 is not just 'a little more money' than $25. I have not seen the DD tarps but, based on the Frontline hammock I had, I imagine that they are of very good quality and value. I have a very good tarp for serious use but I also needed (or wanted) a very inexpensive, square, camo tarp for day hikes and backyard use. The SG HQ fits the bill.
    Having said that, the best tarp money I ever spent was on a $50 Campmor 10' x 10' nylon tarp that is still in use after 20 years. To get lighter, I went to my current JRB, but my brother still uses the Campmor on every trip.
    Last edited by Passinthru; 03-25-2013 at 16:37. Reason: spelling
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images
    n's Guide tarp I reviewed. No offense taken.

I don't know where you came up with your $25 tarp cost figure...but I suspect that number is artificially low.

To "True Cost" the Sportsman's Guide tarps, I would suggest that you may have to:

Buy a few of the tarps to find out what size they actually are....rather than the size that they advertised.

Next you have to send any tarps back that are too small/smaller than advertised.

Then you have to carefully inspect Sportsman's Guide tarps that are the right size to make sure that you didn't get one that has lots of needle holes, loose stitching, etc. Once again, you may have to send one or more tarps back.

Lastly, whatever Sportsman's Guide tarp you settle on...you then have to factor in the cost and time of sealing the seams (as they do not come from Sportsman's Guide seam sealed).

By my estimation, once you factor in all of the Sportsman's Guide's selling costs, shipping costs, material cost to waterproof and/or seam seal, time wasted inspecting, shipping, ordering, etc. you are DEFINITELY going to have some multiple of $25 in sunk costs for a cheap Sportsman's Guide tarp.

BTW, many of us have limited budgets for hammock gear so I am not trying to suggest that anyone spend more money than they need to spend. Instead, what I am suggesting is that folks carefully evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of any new gear so that they get the best VALUE for their money.

After all, whatever money we save on our tarps...we can spend on Dutchware ridgeline and guy systems. LOL

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    If anyone has "upgraded" their tarp and would like to get rid of their Sportsman's Guide / HQ Issue Camo tarp (or something real similar), I'm in the market for an inexpensive camo tarp - one that will pack to a reasonable size like these.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speed clips
    Images
    I got one of these (digital camo) last spring for my son. $19.95 on amazon.
    It was NOT seam sealed, however... once sealed it has worked great. It's plenty big on the diagonal (almost too big). And has held up well. That being said you can tell it's made a bit cheaper than an OES or similar tarp. The tie-outs are kind of chincy. I could see them ripping much easier than a high end tarp. Either way, we have weathered some fairly nasty weather under it. Has never leaked, or had any issues at all. At 20 bucks you get what you pay for! If you're looking for a cheap (good) tarp this is a winner!

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I got the smaller 9X9 version of this tarp when I needed to spend a SG gift card. I've only used it in the rain once, and it held up fine ( although it was more of an all night sustained sprinkle than a full on rain ). I may hit the seams again with some sealer just to reassure myself, but frankly I should do that to any tarp.

It's obviously not as well made as my Kelty Noah 9 ( which is built like a tank ), but so far it hasn't let me down. At worst I'll make a lot of cool stuff sacks from it if it ever fails.
    Last edited by geneaut; 10-03-2014 at 12:50.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123