BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by runningfromseptember View Post
    I have this tarp. It's large and certainly not light, but it's a good winter tarp for me and offers lots of coverage. I think it's a tremendous value. I'm very pleased with it. I got it AFTER I bought a GG tarp that was supposed to be 12x12 but that turned out to be 9x9 because of a change in the reported sizes... before it was LxD but it changed to diagonal x diagonal and they didn't bother to tell anyone. Silly.

Anyway, people will tell you the shelter is massively heavy... of course it comes with two long and utterly disposable heavy aluminum poles, stakes, guy lines, etc. After tossing the poles, changing out the stakes and leaving only tarp, line and lightweight stakes in the bag, mine weighs (if memory serves) about 21 ounces. Not light, but it's a 14 foot tarp.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    Wal-Mart Equip
    Tarp
    GG Emergncy Sheltr
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ/Foam/Net
    Suspension
    Amsteel/Tech Line
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    I have this tarp. It's large and certainly not light, but it's a good winter tarp for me and offers lots of coverage. I think it's a tremendous value. I'm very pleased with it. I got it AFTER I bought a GG tarp that was supposed to be 12x12 but that turned out to be 9x9 because of a change in the reported sizes... before it was LxD but it changed to diagonal x diagonal and they didn't bother to tell anyone. Silly.

Anyway, people will tell you the shelter is massively heavy... of course it comes with two long and utterly disposable heavy aluminum poles, stakes, guy lines, etc. After tossing the poles, changing out the stakes and leaving only tarp, line and lightweight stakes in the bag, mine weighs (if memory serves) about 21 ounces. Not light, but it's a 14 foot tarp.
    I also have this tarp. Just got to finally set it all up recently. I set it up by itself the first time, and tested it in a heavy rain storm. I checked on it every 2 hours or so. Held out the rain for a good 6 hours, but then started to leak. I'm not sure if it leaked from the seams or through the material, so I went ahead and seam sealed everything and gave it a really good once over with Kiwi Camp Dry.

I know I probably added some extra weight by doing that, but I'm not worried about it. Also, I'm not sure how cleanly other tarps are stitched but this one looks a little messy at places. I included some pictures of a stitch "blob" and tried to get a good picture of the tie out area. It's my first tarp so I have nothing to compare it to. I'll try to get a weight measure on it soon and post the values.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    You guys rock! I am looking at tarps currently and you are making it so much easier to choose. I will be saving the pennies to get a better tarp next month. I would rather spend more on a reputable vendor who makes stuff in the USA.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Buckle or Whoopie
    The few times I've gone cheap, I've regretted it. A tarp failure could ruin your trip. Or, worse...

Purchase a good quality tarp. I own several Hennessy's. They're a good value.

When I can afford it, I'm going to upgrade to a tarp offered by one of the fine cottage vendors I've learned about on this forum.

Stay dry,

fly fisher

Just got two of the 81/2 by 81/2. They are for my 3 year old car camping. They seem to be a good value. It dont rain here in TX. But it will keep the sun off us. I would buy them again so far. But I have not used them.

As far as sportsmans guide. Well not impressed with them at all. They snuck in a 99 cent package protection charge. I asked what it was. Its to assure a fast and speed customer service. HA! CS should be a given if you want me to buy from you again.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird multicam DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Webbing + Rings
    I've got the 8.5 and I like it. It's a bit heavy and the corners are pretty cheap but it gets the job done I think. You get what you pay for, and I paid for a cheapie spare tarp I can happily loan out or throw in the car. I probably wouldn't rely on it as my only tarp on a long arduous and isolated journey.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    my dad is just got for me the 11X11 tarp!

I bought the small one last year. We decided to keep it. I used it car camping with my daughter for shade. It worked perfect for the shade. I have not tried it in any type of rain.

I should have set the big one up this weekend at my parents to see how it handled freezing rain, snow, and good steady rain. It would have been the perfect test.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I recently got one of the HQ Camo tarps. Ordered in on a Sunday evening and it arrived the following Friday.
    It came with some steel stakes and some tieouts (8 of each, I think). The tarp alone in stuff sack weighs 15 - 16 oz. When I replaced the stakes and tieouts and rigged it with a continuous ridgeline mine now weighs 1 lb 7 oz total. It came in a bag that measures approx. 3" x 16" but could easily be fit into a smaller bag. Mine measured 8'4" each side with loops at each corner and 2 additional loops on each side. There are 2 loops about 16" up from 2 of the corners but they are so near the corner loops that I don't see much use for them.
    It has a seam sewed along one diagonal and a center loop on that seam. The sewing all seems adequate. If I decide I need more tie points I will use the JRB type grip clips.
    This may not be my go-to tarp but it will be a good backup (and I really needed a camo tarp).
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I posted a review with picutres of the Camo tarp yesterday. Good buy for a cheap tarp.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Hennessy/ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have had two tents from SG, and they were fine, no issues with quality, too bad no one here needs a tent...

Never tried their tarps. I motocamp, so although space is a factor - weight not so much.
    I'd be interested in hearing what you find out when you buy one!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast