Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter
    Tarp
    DIY-needs doors
    Insulation
    CC foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use both, although I'm a cold sleeper so to me all forms of insulation are good as long as they don't poke holes in the gear...

BA Insulmat Pad for Winter, What about Summer

Good reading hear for sure! I'm new to hammocking and wanted to make my current bag / pad work. I am warm to 37 degrees in my Big Agnes Zirkel bag w/ Big Agnes Insulmat. Note that the pad slides in to a bottom sleeve of the bag.

Now, for summer, I want to go lighter. What pads should I look at for lows in the 60's? And, I have the bungie type straps that go under the bag and around the pad so I'm guessing that will hold the pad in place just fine?

Hammock
    Falcon Hammock™
    Tarp
    Hawk Tarp™
    Insulation
    Condor Quilts™
    Suspension
    BTS & Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBuffalo View Post
    Good reading hear for sure! I'm new to hammocking and wanted to make my current bag / pad work. I am warm to 37 degrees in my Big Agnes Zirkel bag w/ Big Agnes Insulmat. Note that the pad slides in to a bottom sleeve of the bag.

Now, for summer, I want to go lighter. What pads should I look at for lows in the 60's? And, I have the bungie type straps that go under the bag and around the pad so I'm guessing that will hold the pad in place just fine?
    Hi- you may try some Reflectix
    between the hammock and the bag or as long as it doesn't contact your bare skin.

Happing hanging!
    SurvivaLen
    VersaShelter, inc. -- LIMITED TIME OFFER!> Raptor Sleep-Shelter.
    http://www.versashelter.com * Visit us on Facebook * Follow us on Twitter * Email Us

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    guide gear
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Woopies
    keep in mind that I do not have much experience with winter hammock camping,but it seems to me that the double layer of the claytor hammocks makes using a pad much easier. Would it not be fairly easy to create some kind of DIY pad holder that could fit snugly under a single layer hammock? I would imagine using some kind of tarp of sorts tied under the hammock, then just sandwich a pad in between the tarp and the hammock.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Hammock
    Tablecloth DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ- 32F
    Suspension
    m'spike hitch, web
    Quote Originally Posted by rakhan View Post
    keep in mind that I do not have much experience with winter hammock camping,but it seems to me that the double layer of the claytor hammocks makes using a pad much easier. Would it not be fairly easy to create some kind of DIY pad holder that could fit snugly under a single layer hammock? I would imagine using some kind of tarp of sorts tied under the hammock, then just sandwich a pad in between the tarp and the hammock.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?
    For a quick trial run, hang an inexpensive ultralite hammock (like a wallyworld or byer travelight) underneath your hammock and slip the pad in between. hang the underhammock from the overhammock's suspension attachments. worked for me for a quick weekender.
    --he who knows the great enthusiasms.
    -T. Roosevelt

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i have had 3 different 3/4 under quilts.i got cold well above thier ratings.i am going to try a full length under quilt nextneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washinton3
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle
    I use both depending on the weather but I like my JRB full length quilt the best

So who has experience using an inflatable pad in the slot of a double layer hammock like the Warbonnet BB? Seems like a layup to me although maybe a tad narrow in the shoulder area.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBuffalo View Post

RedBuffalo, I just use a light sleeping bag in the summer - no pad needed. The sleeping bag will also keep the mosquitoes from biting through the bottom of the Hammock.
    Basically for dry weather camping, no pad down to 55F degrees, one pad 55F to 45F, double pads up 45 to 35, double pads and a warm blanket inside sleeping bag when below 35F. I use the Gossamer Gear hammock pad as I described on page 4 of this post.
    P.S. I stay home if it's cold and wet.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    I have used a pad with my Single nest and double nest Eno The pad seems to stay put better with the single nest, but works adequately with the larger hammock too. I have a Warbonnet Traveler with a double layer on order. I am anxious to see how that works.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast