Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension

Original JH Diamond Tarp

I see many folks here have swapped out the stock diamond tarp for a larger rectangular style tarp. Just curious if anyone uses the stock tarp that came with their JH. If so, have you had any problems with hard wind driven rain coming in? I think just from my initial set-up, I should be fine no matter what mother nature throws at me, but would like to eventually upgrade to a larger tarp for more coverage on the safe side, not to mention a place to hang out with others should rain be an issue.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The Claytors big, you'll be fine.
    Most upgrade to a rectangle for the door option in colder weather. Or for the privacy factor in mixed company.

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use the orig JH tarp and I find that it covers well and if I knew there was going to be rain with gusts expected, I would 1) Choose a site with natural wind protection. 2) Be very wary of surrounding trees for possible "Widow makers" 3) Lower the tarp height and elevate the hammock position so there was more of the diamond surface to cover it. Another thing you might do is lower (Stake closer) to the tarp on the windward side and "Double stake" its guy line. Lastly, make sure you have a means to direct the water off the hammock suspension (Drip lines) away from the hammock.
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    Claytor JH & NN
    Tarp
    Claytor Camo
    Insulation
    LL UQ, RevX TQ
    Suspension
    ws-straps
    I haven't been out camping with any really strong sustained gusts, but based on my original JH tarp performance so far in rain and thunderstorms while tested in my yard, I don't foresee the need for a larger tarp.

I get strong winds on my own property that have ripped my flap stakes out; so I am considering better stakes. But so far I've been able to overcome that issue by tying off the flaps to trees (when possible) and being a bit more picky about what constitutes an effective stake installation.
    Hangin' round beats on the ground...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Bob

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    My first storm in a hammock was spent under a JH tarp. I set the hammock high and the tarp low. I still had wind blown rain coming in. I've since been in the same, and much worse, conditions under a rectangular tarp with no problems. I've never used a diamond tarp of any brand since then. Some folks here swear by them, I hate 'em. That was early in my hanging days, and I'm sure I could do better with one now. But what I have works, so why bother?
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Hunter View Post
    I see many folks here have swapped out the stock diamond tarp for a larger rectangular style tarp. Just curious if anyone uses the stock tarp that came with their JH. If so, have you had any problems with hard wind driven rain coming in? I think just from my initial set-up, I should be fine no matter what mother nature throws at me, but would like to eventually upgrade to a larger tarp for more coverage on the safe side, not to mention a place to hang out with others should rain be an issue.
    i still use mine.here are pictures of my camo claytor and tarp last thursday at montgomery bell state parkneo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by neo; 02-10-2013 at 10:16.
    the matrix has you

i use mine. last year i was in one heck of a storm with upwards of 40 mph winds with sideways rain and gusts up to 50 mph. i was fine.not a drop of water got to me. but i also changed my suspension to tree huggers and cinch rings.felt nice the swaying side to side.only thing i worried about was if the tarp steaks would pull out. one did in the beginning but i fixed it before the rain started.

• + New Posts