DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cvitter View Post
    I am not sure when the web site content will get updated but this is the email I got:

"Dear Craig,

The management team discussed the camping hammock policy for the Chopawamsic Backcountry. The 2013 Park Compendium will allow and encourage the use of camping hammocks in the backcountry campground. Theses camping activities are still confined to the defined campsites - and some sites may not include trees that are appropriate for this activity.

Please stop by or call the the visitor center for more information on camping opportunities at Prince William Forest Park.

If you have further questions regarding the policies at Prince William Forest Park I would be happy to connect you with the Chief Ranger.

Sincerely,"

So my plan is to give it a shot in a few weeks. Weather dependent I am planning on the first or second week in March (fingers crossed).
    Make sure to put up a trip report here on the site when you do go. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I'd be verrrry interested to see how your experience was.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    Make sure to put up a trip report here on the site when you do go. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I'd be verrrry interested to see how your experience was.
    I will definitely take some pictures and make some notes. Just wish I could make the trip sooner than later but I need to wait until the over night lows are in the 50's so I don't spend the night shivering.

Images
    I will definitely take some pictures and make some notes. Just wish I could make the trip sooner than later but I need to wait until the over night lows are in the 50's so I don't spend the night shivering.
    If I beat you to it, I'll post a note in this thread. You have to go to the welcome center anyway to get your backcountry permit and key so I'll double check with the rangers just to be sure.

Last time I hiked that area I was thinking I liked campsite 7 the best but its away from the reservoir so I might pick one closer to the water. They won't be buggy this time of the year

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Very cool Uncle Clark.

In other news the rangers at Belle Isle State Park wrote to let me know that using hammocks stretched across the pads at the primitive camp sites their was acceptable. They have four tent pads right on the river two of which have trees around them that should work for hanging a hammock. The 4 pads are circled around a fire pit and have a pit toilet as well. They called the site a canoe in site but the hike from the nearest parking lot is about 1.5 miles (easy hike).

Hammock
    DIY-That needs a name
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Hook - Strap
    Images
    I am not sure when the web site content will get updated but this is the email I got:

"Dear Craig,

The management team discussed the camping hammock policy for the Chopawamsic Backcountry. The 2013 Park Compendium will allow and encourage the use of camping hammocks in the backcountry campground. Theses camping activities are still confined to the defined campsites - and some sites may not include trees that are appropriate for this activity.

Please stop by or call the the visitor center for more information on camping opportunities at Prince William Forest Park.

If you have further questions regarding the policies at Prince William Forest Park I would be happy to connect you with the Chief Ranger.

Sincerely,"

So my plan is to give it a shot in a few weeks. Weather dependent I am planning on the first or second week in March (fingers crossed).
    GLAD to see this finally. I had been to the ranger office several times last year and never got an answer.

We live in Fredericksburg and this would be a great option!
    There are very few problems we can solve ourselves, but there is almost nothing we cannot solve together.

Most often when someone says they can't, they are unwilling to try.

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    wonder how SNP feels about woodburner stoves

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ataris121 View Post
    I use my Boilerwerks in the park all the time but the rangers are nowheres to be seen usually

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images

Hammock Camping spots in VA

Quote Originally Posted by ataris121 View Post
    From my inquiry last fall, they are avid,y against any wood burning. They aren't fond if Alcy stoves or any open flame style cooking that doesn't have an on/off switch.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Webbing - Buckles
    False Cape State Park - Has anyone done any hammock camping here? Any tips to share? Thanks/John

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB & Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Man View Post
    I am interested in some areas near the Staunton/Harrisonburg/Lexington areas.
    Saint Mary's WIlderness Area is a favorite of mine. We try to get out there a few times a year and camp alongside the creek... pretty decent fly fishing as well (at least in the spring). Got a few waterfalls in there and a few "hidden camp sites" that are usually empty when we get there so I have never had to compete for a place to enjoy the weekend.
    Google: " George Washington and Jefferson National Forest, Raphine, VA 24472"
    http://www.hikingupward.com/gwnf/stmaryswilderness/

Hope that Helps..

Enjoy Virginia!
    SG

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast