Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust78 View Post
    I was under the impression that Chopawamsic did not allow hammocks. Has that changed recently?
    It has. I was communicating with the staff last week and they just changed the rules. It will probably be my first overnight in the new hammock in a couple of weeks.

Hammock
    Hummingbird double
    Tarp
    HG 4 season C.F.
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ,HG& EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    Dolly Sods, WV is my favorite place in the mid-atlantic so far.
    Just getting ready to plan a trip there in a few weeks. Any recommended hang spots?

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by gplg View Post
    Just getting ready to plan a trip there in a few weeks. Any recommended hang spots?
    'The Forks' is probably one of the premier sites in the sods... But that's mostly in the Summer because it's a cool spot to swim and I think you can generally expect to see some other groups camping there.

The cool thing about the sods is it is just so remote. Last time I went I was tenting, so we spent a fair amount of time looking for sites, but with hammocks you should be able to camp just about anywhere. Just be careful if you plan on staying in the NE section, which is the meadow-like area, because there aren't many trees up there.

Last year we did a big loop of the SE end, and only spent a few hours in the Northern meadows area. This year I plan on spending five days out there and seeing more of the Northern section in the meadows. The highlight last year was Lion's Head rock. When you get out to the 'overlook' there look behind you and you'll see a pretty tough rock scramble going up the mountain... Climb it, it's worth it. The top plateaus out and is one of the coolest mountain peaks I've been on. One of the overhanging rock ledges up there looks like a Lion's Head, hence the name.

Really just go with an idea of what you wanna do and you'll find cool stuff no matter what.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Hummingbird double
    Tarp
    HG 4 season C.F.
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ,HG& EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    'The Forks' is probably one of the premier sites in the sods... But that's mostly in the Summer because it's a cool spot to swim and I think you can generally expect to see some other groups camping there.

The cool thing about the sods is it is just so remote. Last time I went I was tenting, so we spent a fair amount of time looking for sites, but with hammocks you should be able to camp just about anywhere. Just be careful if you plan on staying in the NE section, which is the meadow-like area, because there aren't many trees up there.

Last year we did a big loop of the SE end, and only spent a few hours in the Northern meadows area. This year I plan on spending five days out there and seeing more of the Northern section in the meadows. The highlight last year was Lion's Head rock. When you get out to the 'overlook' there look behind you and you'll see a pretty tough rock scramble going up the mountain... Climb it, it's worth it. The top plateaus out and is one of the coolest mountain peaks I've been on. One of the overhanging rock ledges up there looks like a Lion's Head, hence the name.

Really just go with an idea of what you wanna do and you'll find cool stuff no matter what.
    Awesome! Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cvitter View Post
    It has. I was communicating with the staff last week and they just changed the rules. It will probably be my first overnight in the new hammock in a couple of weeks.
    Really!? Excellent news! This must be a recent development. I was about to reply to this thread that hammocks aren't allowed at PWFP.

Are they only allowed in the back country site, or are they also allowed at the general camping area?
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortTripHome View Post
    you should check out sky meadows state park--it has an easy hike to the backcountry sites, and its close to your neck of the woods.

also close to you is:
    westmoreland SP
    lake anna SP
    the Bull Run natural area (not sure about camping)
    I was under the impression that hammock camping was a no-no in the VA SPs
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    I was under the impression that hammock camping was a no-no in the VA SPs
    Unless the rules were changed since Dec 2012 when I was at Westmoreland, you are correct. It is not that you can't use a hammock but rather they only allow camping on their designated "pad" sites. Those sites have been cleared of all trees, outlined with building lumbers, and filled with pea gravel. You can't use a hammock because there is nothing inside the pad to attach to.

I asked if I could use my hammock in the picnic area and was told it was up to the indiviual officers. If they deemed that my straps were doing any damage to the trees, I would be asked to take my hammock down. I was also told the rangers would always error on the side of protecting the trees I took that as a nice way of saying no.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cvitter View Post
    This is good to know. I have hiked that area and some of those are nice campsites. And if they now allow hammock camping that's a change for the good.

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleClark View Post
    This is good to know. I have hiked that area and some of those are nice campsites. And if they now allow hammock camping that's a change for the good.
    I am not sure when the web site content will get updated but this is the email I got:

"Dear Craig,

The management team discussed the camping hammock policy for the Chopawamsic Backcountry. The 2013 Park Compendium will allow and encourage the use of camping hammocks in the backcountry campground. Theses camping activities are still confined to the defined campsites - and some sites may not include trees that are appropriate for this activity.

Please stop by or call the the visitor center for more information on camping opportunities at Prince William Forest Park.

If you have further questions regarding the policies at Prince William Forest Park I would be happy to connect you with the Chief Ranger.

Sincerely,"

So my plan is to give it a shot in a few weeks. Weather dependent I am planning on the first or second week in March (fingers crossed).

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast