View Poll Results: Short hike in or car camp this year?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hike in 2 miles.

12 11.65%
  • Hike in 4 miles.

21 20.39%
  • Hike in longer than 4 miles.

35 33.98%
  • Car camp.

7 6.80%
  • Don't car as long as I can hammock.

28 27.18%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    "Well I said It was to far for what it is.. This time of year its crowded with loud young drunk crowds and limited parking.. I'de rather be somewhere a bit quieter."--GaryR

Yeah, I felt the same way at last years hang spot, but we all ended up having lots of fun there, remember, Gary?

Quote Originally Posted by SMJerry View Post
    Are we hanging up at the campground or down around the lake?
    Where ever you can find a spot. If memory serves, there are plenty of dispersed wooded spot that could be used for a hammock site all around the lake. Also...bring large tree straps because the trees up there tend to run very large (at least two years ago they did).

BF

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary_R View Post
    "And this time of year I think this spot is worse. I had no knowledge of last years site but I know something about Wahtum Lake. It can get pretty crowded for my tastes and I would prefer a location that is less likely to have piles of drunk teenagers.. If it was a Fall hang I would totally be out there with ya.. And who knows maybe you will get a good weekend up there with none of the negatives.. its just to far for a maybe for me. This year has been crazy I didn't get out like I planned to scout sites earlier..

Its where you wanted to go, I have no issue with that.. Go have fun.
    I just see it causing issues that add stress to what I want to be a stress free thing."

Gary, i'm not sure why you keep bashing this years hang spot, but it's getting old quick. We all get it. You don't approve. Maybe next year you could actually come up with a constructive solution when asked months in advance for a hang location (as I did repeatedly in this thread). If you don't want to come, that's cool, but please stop downing it for the ones who do.
    And besides, it's not the destination, it's the company along the way.
    BF

BF
    Last edited by bigfoot2; 07-23-2013 at 12:33.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    MY apologies wasn't meant to come across as bashing, I posted a simple "I will probably pass" and you posted in a way that felt like it was trying to convince me otherwise.. So I answered.. I deleted the posting for you and hope that you have an awesome hang as I always wish the best for them all..
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Play Nice Children!

On to real stuff... Is the link for the short walk or the long hike? I don't know anything about the area so I am not sure what's what. I am still going to try to make the trip, and hopefully try some different hammocks and have some fun.

And if so dumb(young) people show up with beer, all the better for bringing it down the trail for us. I am not above steeling beer! As long as it is for a good cause, right!

Also what about food and other stuff? And can you have camp fires in the area?

Thanks,

Wolfman

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    OK... so as much as there are those that don't think this is a great place.. gimme two trees and good company and I can hang anywhere.
    So.... moving on...
    I can't wait for this hang.. had to miss last years.
    I have a great place for next years hang... plenty of trees and the crowds are not bad...
    Since I am coming up on Friday.. I am going to park at the campground and do the short hike down the stairs. Hope we can all get an area that we can group together.
    17 days till hang time!
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    On to real stuff... Is the link for the short walk or the long hike? I don't know anything about the area so I am not sure what's what.
    You can drive to the lake...or you can backpack 13 miles in from Eagle Creek TH, or you can also come in over the Benson Plateau from what I understand (I don't know the mileage off the top of my head but you can go to portlandhikers.org and look in the field guide area for lots of great info). If you do backpack in, you will want to make sure there is nothing in your truck as the car clouters in the Gorge are famous, especially at the Eagle Creek TH. You'd really be better off driving to the lake...

Sorry I'll be missing you Wolfman!!!
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Im amazed at how many bad experiences some of you have had up in that area. I have hiked hundreds of miles in the gorge and in to and around the lake and have yet to have my truck touched over the past 20 years. I hear the rumors about it and the signs up there clearly remind you to hide or take your valuables with you... but as stated.. never have had a problem.
    It's always good practice not to leave your good stuff in the car.. heck... I'm more concerned in the Wal Mart parking lot.
    Having said that... it is a short hike from the parking to the lake... and all down hill.
    You can take the PCT (Trail 2000) from Cascade locks up and over Benson Plateau to the lake. It is a good hike, but the first two miles are switch back hell. Once over Benson though it is a nice hike to the lake.
    Looking foward to a great hang!
    Jerry
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne

Hammock
    Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks Renegade, I think you'll be having fun too!

Not sure yet if I will be hiking in or just walking in from the parking lot. I will look up the area on that site. I have never hiked the Gorge so it will all be new to me. Looking forward to the hang!

Also, If I did hike in from Benson Plateau would I be able to hang on that trail? I don't want to bring a tent and I have a new hammock I am going to try. Hopefully it will fit me.

Wolfman

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Oregon, so BIG.
    Insulation
    TQ MIA,UQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    MSH, whoopies + RL
    Sad new member here . I work Tuesday-Saturday. Good to know there is a sizable group of Oregon hangers though!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    Thanks Renegade, I think you'll be having fun too!

Not sure yet if I will be hiking in or just walking in from the parking lot. I will look up the area on that site. I have never hiked the Gorge so it will all be new to me. Looking forward to the hang!

Also, If I did hike in from Benson Plateau would I be able to hang on that trail? I don't want to bring a tent and I have a new hammock I am going to try. Hopefully it will fit me.

Wolfman
    Yes, you can hang up at Benson... the upper camp area is better.
    Jerry
    ― John Wayne

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast