Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

Anyone use the SS in addition to an UQ?

From the threads I've read, everyone prefers to use a SuperShelter, or an UnderQuilt, but not both.

The supershelter worked just fine for me on a windy New Year's Eve at 20 degF. With the addition of a 1/4" GG CCF pad, I was toasty. I wondered, what would I need on the underside to be warm at significantly lower temps?

A few days later, Kurt successfully used his Multimat-downbag-sandwich, an under quilt of sorts, between his supershelter pad and under cover, at -27 degF! Wow!

At Mt. Rogers, I'm going to try a KAQ outside the SS UC on one night. If it will fit, I'll try it inside the SS UC on the second night. The forecast is for about 24 degF both nights.

Has anyone combined a SS with an UQ before?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

I recently hung out in mine using the UC, very loosely attached and a Speer PeaPod inside the UC. I also added a heatsheet between the hammock and the PP to prevent condensation into the PP. It worked like a champ. I will be bringing this setup with me to the hangout.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I use the SS ocf but with the JRB WeatherShield2 (WS2) on the Blackbird(BB) for warm to cool nights or the JRB Mt. Washington under quilt (MWUQ) for cool to cold nights. Haven't tried them together yet. The MWUQ by itself has kept me warm down into the low 20's (coldest I've hung in). Don't see why the SS ocf sandwiched between the MWUQ would not work. Add the space blanket between the ocf and hammock and see how cold you can go.

Maybe if Shug reads this post or any of our other cold loving hanger they will give it a try. Sub 0F without having to layer tons of sleep clothing?
    Noel V.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    The SS undercover is sil, yes? You'll want to put a vapor barrier between the UQ and the hammock (space blanket will do just fine I imagine), and then so long as the undercover is not so tight as to compress the quilt, you're good. Oh yeah, provided it is cool enough to warrant all this stuff.

This is a lot like my quilt and sock arrangement. The bottom half of the sock is sil, the hammock side of my UQ is sil, the UQ can be quite close to the the sock without danger of having condensation due to vapor through the UQ.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 01-19-2009 at 23:16.

• + New Posts