Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images

Overnight in the Deam Wilderness

Golfhiker and I met at the Mt. Rogers Hang in Jan. He kindly invited me to a Feb hike-n-hang over at the Deam Wilderness in southern Indiana. My brother, Breaking Wind, came along for the fun as we met at the Fire
    tower.

After meeting everyone, we started our 4 mile hike on the Sycamore Trail.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1360678927
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1360678927

A little lunch under some big Red Pines made for relaxing moment as we got to know the Indiana gang a bit better.
    We settled in for a quiet walk with Golfhiker and Crash. It was a beautiful sunny day with temps in the 40's.

About 3 miles in, we pitched camp near a small pond. Breaking Wind set up his Clark.[IMG]www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=25158pictureid=18234[/IMG]
    As the campfire was readied, a pair of Hoot Owls reminded us of who owned the territory. They were very near and quite loud, but I was happy to spend the night with them.
    We checked out Golfhiker's new Z-Packs cuben tent, a well thought out product of Joe's. Crash was the cowboy of the group with a simple sleeping bag on the ground. As sundown approached, a few more folks made it to camp. 17 people enjoyed a fine campfire while catching up and telling tall tales. It made for a very enjoyable evening.
    About 3:30 AM I heard rain pinging on my HG cuben tarp. I knew the forecast said rain and wind was moving in; just not so soon. We decided to pack up and make a midnight run for the truck. A little stop near an old family cemetery made things a bit spooky, but I've always enjoyed night hiking. After a couple of miles, we found home and the Fire Tower. (We had climbed it before our hike. 110' high with a lot of steps! Very cool!)
    Thank you Golfhiker for a great time! I'd like to see more of the Deam!

Home Run
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Home Run; 02-12-2013 at 09:34. Reason: Trying to get all the pics to show up! Looks like I need help!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like you had a good time! Can't wait to see the pics (click the "Go Advanced" button below, then click the button "Manage Attachments" and upload your photos).

But, I don't understand...why did you run for the trucks in the middle of the night when it started to rain? You had a tarp, right? Was that the end of the trip?
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    My brother had no tarp...we were winging it. (I had invited him at the last minute.) Even though we could have rigged something up, he had a 200 mile drive home. And we both love night hiking....couldn't resist.

Thanks for the advice on the pics. I'll work on it when I get some time.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Sounds like you had a good time! Can't wait to see the pics (click the "Go Advanced" button below, then click the button "Manage Attachments" and upload your photos).

But, I don't understand...why did you run for the trucks in the middle of the night when it started to rain? You had a tarp, right? Was that the end of the trip?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ok, I see. You wouldn't let your brother under your tarp...

So, did the others also bail, or did they continue the trip?
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts