diy
    Tarp
    xenon sil diy
    Insulation
    pad n' mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopies n' webbin

Overnight in the smokies

Did my first hang since finding this site and beginning to build my own gear. Hiked middle prong trail to lynn rpong to Miry ridge and stayed in campsite 26, a really cool site back off the trail. Set up my hammock in a nice forest of hemlock trees, but soon found out that all my gear doesnt really mesh too well. My diy hammock isnt wide enough to handle my zlite pad which made for cold feet around 3 am. I also had trouble finding two trees with enough space to set up my kelty tarp but I made it work. My lafuma warm n light bag worked well with the pad until my feet came off the pad.Later in the night the wind kicked up on top of the mtn and was hitting around 40 mph or so winds were heavy all night and the next day .Hiked out the next day on miry ridge trail to panther creek across a big river crossing back to middle prong. All in all not a bad trip around 15 miles hiked got to hang out with my dad and some buddies and was out of the house so it cant be bad.Now that i know what my gear can handle I can start making some adjustments to my setup.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Glad to hear the trip went well. A trick I have learned is to put a small pad inside the footbox of the bag/quilt...that way it stays put. If you ever want to hit some trails look me up. I am always looking for a chance to get in the piney woods.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Very useful trip cause you found out what doesn't work. You'll gradually fine tune your setup,,we all did it/ are doing it. The more your out there tree selection will become more obvious and natural. Like everything else you get better with practice.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    xenon sil diy
    Insulation
    pad n' mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopies n' webbin
    I was happy I was able to make my own gear and happy to find its limits pad would have done fine in my eno but I really wanted to keep weight down just about all the trees in the area wer right at about 10 feet from each other I could have got some further apart but they were gettin on down into the woods. Underquilts is in the plans for the future so i wont have to hassle with the pad.

Hammock
    5 DIY's and a Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images
    I camped at CS26 during the fall its a very nice site. Ended up hanging just down the hill to the left of the big logs around the fire ring. The Smokies are a great place to hike and hang
    If God had meant for us to sleep on the ground,
    He wouldn't have created trees....

“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    I was up at CS26 back in the fall--spring was dry at that time, but I managed. I had to readjust my suspension to fit the tree's shorter spacing. But it was a great hike. Good on you for making your own gear and getting out there. Always a learning curve and always another adjustment to make.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    xenon sil diy
    Insulation
    pad n' mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopies n' webbin
    I stayed down from the big fire pit/log area a bit, found the campsite very dirty.I spent a good hour cleaning u the site and an area out on Miry ridge trail where some people trashed a flat area.On the up side I found a titanium stake,.26$ a mesh net bag i can hang from my ridgeline also found a fishing fly a 4 gig sdhc card and some paracord and some guy lines!

Hammock
    5 DIY's and a Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images
    Ey
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombieforce View Post
    I stayed down from the big fire pit/log area a bit, found the campsite very dirty.I spent a good hour cleaning u the site and an area out on Miry ridge trail where some people trashed a flat area.On the up side I found a titanium stake,.26$ a mesh net bag i can hang from my ridgeline also found a fishing fly a 4 gig sdhc card and some paracord and some guy lines!
    Darn. We saw some ground dwellers leaving a tent there we think. They were hiking out as we were leaving. When I asked about the tent, one guy said they were all just going on a day hike. I'm doubtful that was the truth.

If you found some pot stand legs from a minibulldesign bongo stove they're mine. Left them there by acccident. :-)
    If God had meant for us to sleep on the ground,
    He wouldn't have created trees....

“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Half the fun of hammocking is in the fiddling around, and fine tuning. Where’s the photos, or better still video? You can’t go to the Great Smokies and not shoot some video or snap a few photos for us here on the Hammock Forums to see. lol You’ll have to go back and this time, take some photos for us. lol

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    Tree set up gets easier just make sure to look up for what shug affectionately calls the widow maker. (Dead branches , overhanging limbs). But I make a joke that you know that you are a hanger when ever you out and about you point out good spots to hang. Fine tuning is fun to. I wish I was by the AT but where I am we have the CDT (Continental Divide Trail) A newer thru hike trail but it is awesome none the less.
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast