Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Brian used to list his tarps as width from the ridgeline. This page lists the ultra as 104" wide at the widest point...just over 8-1/2 ft.
    http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/products.html

Edit - Ah, you meant between side tie-outs. Nevermind.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by willswim View Post
    I looked at the ULtra and liked it until i noticed it was only 4 feet on the sides. I like the option of pulling down the ends in bad storm/wind, which is why i am looking at the bigger, SWT. Does the craftmanship and design of the MacCat warrant buying it over the more versatile Speer?
    You can set-up in a manner (hang low) where you can get coverage good enough to deal with a storm in the MacCats, just have to be a bit more anal during set-up. The winter tarps just make it easy.

The craftsmanship on the Speer WT is no ugly sister/brother. Both are going to be good quality and design and it would be hard to fault you with either decision. If you want to save a few ounces, go with the MacCats; if you want easy storm set-up go with the SWT. Either way you get a great tarp.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 01-20-2009 at 11:40. Reason: Bad day for spelling
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I looked at the ULtra and liked it until i noticed it was only 4 feet on the sides. I like the option of pulling down the ends in bad storm/wind, which is why i am looking at the bigger, SWT. Does the craftmanship and design of the MacCat warrant buying it over the more versatile Speer?
    I have the MacCat Ultra (used with a BB) and if I had one complaint, it would be the side coverage.
    OES uses a deep catcut and that also reduces side coverage. I'm considering making a tarp change...but I will continue to fiddle with it and see if I can improve it.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

bringing the MacCat sides down

with grip-clips and a bit of extra cord you can bring the sides of the MacCat down for 2-sided storm protection

Grizz

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1
    Tarp
    SWT
    Thanks for the great information. I understand many of you want to have multiple tarps, and makes sense to have more than one if you camp regualarly. but i want one tarp to cover all needs. so i have more questions. What about easy of use for a first time tarp owner? is one going to be better in that area than others? is the learning curve a small enough that it wouldn't matter?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nah, basic tarp set-up is basic tarp set-up. Attach to trees, stake to ground; simple. When you start pitching it for use as a ground tarp it can get more complicated, but for hammock use you only need a couple of practice set-ups in the back yard to get the feel for it.

but i want one tarp to cover all needs.
    Then go with a winter tarp. You can use it year round with a weight penalty. A winter tarp is a great thing to have in the winter and can be set-up perfectly well for a summer tarp. Seasonal tarps just display a hiker's sensitivity to pack weights. I like options, so the more tarps/hammocks/quilts, the more better.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    I am not a gram weenie so this may sound like apostasy but the difference between the MCat Delux (13.8 ozz) and the Speer Winter tarp (16 oz) is not that much 1.2 if I am reading the websites right

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Not much, but also factor in extra stakes. Once you hit the point of weight obsession, it's the grams that matter not the ounces. I'm a recovering gramaholic, but a couple thousand miles of carrying stuff on your back will make you pay attention. Less tarp = more cookies in the pack. 2.2oz is at least a couple of Oreos.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If you really want to notice the difference in a summer tarp vs. a winter tarp, compare the SWT to OES' Spinntex Standard (8oz). This is what I have for summertime and the difference is very noticeable in the pack. They aren't 'cheap', but well worth the investment in my opinion. I wouldn't carry it in late fall or winter, but I adore it the rest of the time.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    I am not a gram weenie so this may sound like apostasy but the difference between the MCat Delux (13.8 ozz) and the Speer Winter tarp (16 oz) is not that much 1.2 if I am reading the websites right
    I can't get on OES website right now (different issue) but I think comparing the MacCat Ultra is more "apples to apples"
    Under that comparision, the weight difference is nearly the same. The major differences seem to be OES bomb-proof design vs more coverage for the SWT.
    I'm looking forward to seeing a SWT up close at Mt Rogers...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast