Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images

Looking to buy a tarp

I very happy with my HH Expedition. I used the stock tarp that has done well in some serious rain, and some serious wind but has nevr had to handle both. I know I need a bigger tarp and I am looking to get one for my birthday. I haven't done any winter hanging and don't see me doing that often if I do. I am definately a 3 season guy. I have JRB underquilt that I really like but I am concerned that it would get wet if I had a foggy night or a windy night with some rain. I am looking at the JRB 11X10 tarp but have seen some threads saying it is overkill for 3 seasons. Given what I have told you, what tarp would you recommend if you had to purchase one?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    You can't go wrong with the MacCat tarps:
    http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/
    I use to use Brian's MacCat Deluxe, but now use a OES SpinnTex 8X10 cat cut that I can close off the ends to block wind from the foot or head a bit - plus I saved about 4 oz. His tarps are a little heavier than others, but they are better built and stronger than anything else I've seen.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'd have to agree with the OES MacCat vote. Brian makes some bombproof tarps that look as good as they preform. Spend the extra coin and go for the Spinntex, it is some sweet stuff.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    Okay Looked at the CAT Delux. Do I read it right, it is 13.8 oz and the JRB tarp is 19 oz so it is only 5.2 oz heavier amd I looking at that right? I also looked at the Speer Winter tarp. Looks like it is the same size as the JRB 11x10 but is three oz lighter. Opinions of JRB versus Speer?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    Okay Looked at the CAT Delux. Do I read it right, it is 13.8 oz and the JRB tarp is 19 oz so it is only 5.2 oz heavier amd I looking at that right? I also looked at the Speer Winter tarp. Looks like it is the same size as the JRB 11x10 but is three oz lighter. Opinions of JRB versus Speer?
    That JRB has more coverage because it is rectangular instead of Hex cut. Hence the extra weight. So far, I have never seen any "mist" when testing with a hose or in a deluge. Others may have. Both are great tarps. The build quality of the Mac is 2nd to none. The JRB has some great pitch options ( Baker Hut etc).

The MC is seam sealed, you will have to seal the JRB, but no big deal. I have sealed 2 of them easily enough.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Tarp noise

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That JRB has more coverage because it is rectangular instead of Hex cut. Hence the extra weight. So far, I have never seen any "mist" when testing with a hose or in a deluge. Others may have. Both are great tarps. The build quality of the Mac is 2nd to none. The JRB has some great pitch options ( Baker Hut etc).

The MC is seam sealed, you will have to seal the JRB, but no big deal. I have sealed 2 of them easily enough.
    Would the rectangular cut of the JBR make for a more noisy tarp than the Speers?

• + New Posts