Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Fog Condensation on MWUQ and HH

Here are a few pics of what fog can do. This setup was on my back porch and none of this is from rain. It was also unoccupied last night so none of it is breathing. It's all from the thick blowing fog we had.

This is one advantage I see to hammock socks over simply using a larger tarp. When it's this humid out nothing can stop a certain level of condensation, but a sock can stop the thick blowing fog and let it condense on the sock, then drip off before it gets onto the quilts.

But it's all a matter of style.

“Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Yes, that Warbonnet synthetic UQ sounds better and better.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I agree, Jeff, those can be tough conditions.

I encountered that kind of misty blowing fog on Dugger Mountain in AL a few weeks ago. I was unlucky in not having my hammock sock with me on that particular trip, but instead used a Speer PeaPod. It was cool enough that I could keep the PeaPod mostly closed the entire night, so most of the condensation was on the outer DWR, which was easy enough to mostly dry off the next morning with my pack towel. If not for that, though, the next night would have been very damp indeed if I had to pack the pod up still wet.

A real problem in those conditions is the amount of moisture that collects on the bottom side of a tarp. It is easy to get lots of moisture on you by brushing yourself or your gear against the wet inside of the tarp.

I think that such fine fog in the right temps could be very dangerous with certain types of gear.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Here are a few pics of what fog can do. This setup was on my back porch and none of this is from rain. It was also unoccupied last night so none of it is breathing. It's all from the thick blowing fog we had.

This is one advantage I see to hammock socks over simply using a larger tarp. When it's this humid out nothing can stop a certain level of condensation, but a sock can stop the thick blowing fog and let it condense on the sock, then drip off before it gets onto the quilts.

But it's all a matter of style.

JJ,

The drops look like they would shake off.... there also does not appear to have any penitration of the DWR ripstop.

Can you comment/report on these two points?

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Yes, and someone starting an early thru like Karl will run into this a fair amount of times I believe. I just looked at the forecast for Suches GA and the low for the next couple of nights will be in the teens and for several nights after that it'll be around freezing or slightly above. At least when it freezes you can just brush it off. Long nights, dreary days slightly above freezing, that can get you "down" with down. I think it is borderline insanity not to have some sort of pad this time of year.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    JJ,

The drops look like they would shake off.... there also does not appear to have any penitration of the DWR ripstop.

Pan
    I'm betting it did not get into the down. It will be interesting to find out. I have found the DWR on both a PeaPod and MWUQ to be quite effective. I found out due to a couple of tarp mishaps during severe storms.

The only problem would be packing up to hit the trail. Of course if the drops will shake off, or can be dried with a pack towel. But it sure would be preferable to keep the moisture off in the first place.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post

Yep - you can see in the pics that the DWR beaded up the water really well, and most of it did shake off. I didn't see any specific spots of penetration on the MWUQ but even after shaking it off the fabric still felt damp...I didn't weigh it afterwards so I can't confirm if the down was directly affected but I would be surprised if it wasn't. Even the Hennessy fabric wetted out on the windward end.

I'm pretty happy with the DWR considering how wet it was outside...basically like setting up in an all-night sprinkle with no tarp. This fog was as thick as anything I saw in Monterey, and easily the thickest fog I've seen in North Carolina.

I try to be extra careful with my gear so I wouldn't have liked to pack it up that wet, but I don't think it was enough to significantly affect the loft after this one night. I would be ok packing it up after a night like this if I had to. Several nights like this with no chance to dry it out during the day and I'd be more concerned...but that's the case with any gear in these conditions.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 01-19-2009 at 22:52.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts