Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR

Synthetics for AT?

I am preparing to section-hike the Appalachian Trail, and because of the wet weather, I am thinking about using TQs and UQs with synthetic insulation. I understand that synthetics perform better under wet conditions, although with enough moisture their thermal capacity will also decrease.

I also understand that they are heavier and don't compress as much as down. I will be carrying a large pack, but am aiming at a maximum weight of 25-30 pounds. I think that the lack of compression won't be a problem, but I do have concerns about the additional weight.

Any advice? Other pros and cons of synthetics?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I used a a 3 Season Jarbidge River UQ a 1 Season Owyhee TQ from Arrowhead last summer on the AT in GA. Worked just fine. Would have preferred that they compressed a bit more but it was not a big deal. I just put them in a compression bag and straped them to the outside of my pack.

Picture from my set up at Springer about 20 feet from Shelter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Other pros and cons of synthetics? You've already nailed it-weight and pack space, but both have drastically improved over the years....still down wins and several of the cottages (Underground Quilts and JRB are two I know of maybe more) that are now offering quilts with the highly water repellant almost waterproof down. The process to make the down such adds insignificant weight.
    Your weight goal of 25-30 pounds is a good one and in time I bet you'll shoot for even lower. Last week on our section hike my pack weight was 17 pounds and that was with 2 pounds of photography stuff
    Back to the down quandry, I've been section hiking on the AT since 1974, with countless nights using down and I've never had any wet out.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Look at the weight difference. It all depends on what an extra pound means to you. If I was gearing up for an extended trip I would go synthetic for wet country. Other folks will sweat every gram.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

I've got a AHE KAQ New River. It doesn't pack as small as down, plus I'm using a sleeping bag for a TQ. Packed loose and stuffed in my REI Flash 62, they take a little less that 1/2 the usable space. Still leaves me plenty of room for the rest of my gear, plus I've got extra space elsewhere in the pack. Would it be nice to be a little lighter?...yes. But I'm not ready to give up my traditional Guinness on the first night out either, so it's all relevant to what you have and how important it is to carry. Hike your own hike and do what's comfortable for you.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    On the AT last year, there was a bunch that didn't use any UQ at all for a large part of the trail. It was hot and humid enough as it was.
    Good judgement comes from experience - Experience comes from bad judgement

This is the same thread as this one started by the OP https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=71677

See both for responses from others!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts