Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grand Trunk Air Bivy for thru-hiking?

Hey guys, new dude here

I've been doing some AT multi-days here in north Georgia of late and have a totally inappropriate tent, so I figured I'd try some overnight hammocking out on some longer trips I'm planning. I've got a Travel Hammock regular (Non-SB) hammock and love it, so naturally I started looking at some of the SB, SBPro, Air Bivy, FFT etc. products.

I've been all over the TH website, dealer websites, and have been reading through the discussions going on here around all those and unfortunately have been left with a lot of, um, confusion. What I'm getting so far is this:

• There's, like, one complaint ever. Hope that gets worked out
    • The big bossman of the company hangs out here, which is awesome
    • There's been a 10-year guarantee offered, which is more awesome
    • Lots of folks are trying out the REI deal for the Air Bivy package and love it on first impression

All of which are good pros to note. Where I'm coming up short on answers is here:

• There's inconsistency on what the actual hammock and tarp are that are shipping in that package. Is it the SB Pro? SB UL? Is the tarp the same 10' that's on the website or is it a smaller 8.6ft?
    • Has anybody but this package to work on the trail yet? Is it durable enough to handle, say, a month of backcountry use? Tarp big enough and tough enough for a little weather?

I'm cool with working out things like rigging issues and accessorizing components on my own after I take the plunge and get it here, but was hoping for some feedback before making the initial purchase. Get the Air Bivy deal? Buy a separate SBPro and FFT? Skip it and look at some competitors that have been trail tested?

Whatever I end up with, I'll report back once I've given it a thorough shakedown

Thanks y'all!

-Jeff

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Suprgeek,

Welcome to the forum..... soon to be a member of the hanging gang

Whichever hammock you decide upon, concurrently begin to develop your insulation plan....no need to learn the hard/cold way.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGeek View Post
    There's inconsistency on what the actual hammock and tarp are that are shipping in that package. Is it the SB Pro? SB UL? Is the tarp the same 10' that's on the website or is it a smaller 8.6ft?
    Jeff,

I got the REI deal a couple of weeks back and can only report on this piece.
    You get the SBPro, the 10x10 Funky Forest Tarp, guy lines, ground stakes, sacks, pre-knotted rope hanging kit, and other goodies.

Cool thanks for checking. I just noticed that I inadvertently split a thread with this one, so I'll watch that thread for the dimensions questions to see how that plays out. Funny how the REI site says one thing and the individual products show another.

Still got the questions though about sustained use and if anybody else has put this thing to work out there in some woods and some weather, and maybe side-by-side it with the Hennessy's and the like.

Of course I love the idea of an all in one sub-$100 solution but given the presence of so many >$200 ones out there it makes me a little skeptical. Doing the math, though, I could buy two and call home for a drop-ship if I run into trouble and still come out ahead!

And yep, working on the insulation plan. I've got a good bag and a couple of awesome thermarest self-inflates, wonder how those will lay in there under the bottom. If not I'll look at quilts...

-j

Insulation
    Down

SB Deal at REI

Hi

Are you sure it is SBPro on REI Deal? The one that I got doesn't look like Pro. It looks more like ether regular SB or ultralight SB made with different fabric, so where is your rating of 400 Lb. On top it is blue in color, as REI stating. I am not really experienced too much in this but from a picture of SBPro and descriptions of both it doesn't look like Pro.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by fx67 View Post
    Are you sure it is SBPro on REI Deal?
    The hammock I got is definitely the SBPro.

Insulation
    Down

Strange

Then potentially we have some inconsistencies on what is packed there. Is yours dark blue? What does it say on label attached to the sewn in stuff stack?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by fx67 View Post
    Then potentially we have some inconsistencies on what is packed there. Is yours dark blue? What does it say on label attached to the sewn in stuff stack?
    Yes, mine is dark blue in color. I can't say for sure what it says on the label until I get home to look.

The hammock I received as part of the REI package deal looks exactly like the SBPro hammock on their website. It has the black loops sewn into the bugnet and not the netting loops similar to the SBUL.

On the "ABES please advise" thread Alter ID says he received his kit today and it came with the ultralight hammock. I wonder why some would come with the Pro and others with the Ultralight....

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I'm sure that REI will make it right.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast