Tarp
    DIY CWH
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Web/ buckles/rings
    Images

HF Challenge- One arm setup

OK HF, I have a challenge for your help. I am disabled and have limited use of my left arm. The challenge is to get the best of the best ideas on how to set up my gear to minimize the effects of my disability. All suggestions are appreciated and as things start coming together I will post updates (maybe even delve into the video reviews.... could never hold a candle to Shug). Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    For your tree straps... you could tie a leader rope around the loop end of it. You could walk that around the tree, pick it up and hook it on. Then you could pick it up and work it up the the tree to your desired height. Regarding the UQ, you could use small biners to hook it onto the suspension on the hammock. Tarp, you might consider Dejoha's continuous ridge line idea as all of the tensioning is done at one side. Just some suggestions

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    If you have webbing for suspension with triangle plates you could have a carabiner on the end and just go around the tree and clip it. If you had a tri-glide with a loop attached on the free end out of the tri-glide you could use your limited hand, (maybe), to pull that while your good hand separates the plates. Continuous ridge line for the tarp and carabiner at one end, figure nine at the other. For tie outs i would attach shock cord to the tarp loops, maybe three feet, have a loop at the end for around the tarp stake and a loop, (figure eight on a bite), about half way for when you want the tarp in bad weather mode. Anyway just a thought or two. I'm going to be setting up my rig in a day or two and i'll try it one handed and see. Hope this helps

bill

PS ; let us know what you can and can't do with your arm. That might help figure things out.
    Last edited by mbiraman; 02-12-2013 at 23:49.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY CWH
    Tarp
    DIY CWH
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Web/ buckles/rings
    Images
    Thanks CB and Bill. I have some grip in my "bad hand", I can lift my arm some using my shoulder (up to parallel with the floor), but my arm collapses in once it gets 2-3" up, I can't pull back much either mostly can lock my arm and twist my body.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    1-If you made a loop out of 1 inch strap that was long enough to go from your hammock gather out to you forehead ,you could hold it up with your neck muscles while you clip a carabiner into your strap. It would look like a head band with a leash pulling a hammock out of your pack. I use my pack as a big stuff sack ,so nothing gets undone,its always adjusted and ready.

1- Just slip on your head band ,

2-take your pack to the first tree wrapping the strap around the tree and caribiner it back to itself.

3-take off head band ,and walk backwards with the pack toward tree 2.

4- put back on head band pulling up the other strap with your good hand.

5-adjust both ends now that the trees are holding the weight you can slide the straps up the tree to get you proper angles. strap suspension might be the handiest.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    If you have webbing for suspension with triangle plates you could have a carabiner on the end and just go around the tree and clip it. If you had a tri-glide with a loop attached on the free end out of the tri-glide you could use your limited hand, (maybe), to pull that while your good hand separates the plates.
    PS ; let us know what you can and can't do with your arm.
    This is the hammock suspension setup I suggest. From Arrowhead-Equipment.com

I was thinking tarp tie outs could incorporate these cordlocks from DIYGearSupply.com

and possibly this set up for tarp ridge line

Here is a great video for attaching a tarp to tree from Redoleary. Concepts here can be modified to find a setup that will work.

Last edited by chickenwing; 02-13-2013 at 00:41.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Yeah, I would think you could do a cinch buckle like chickenwing showed with one hand "fairly easily"... If nothing else you could hold the hammock with your armpit so that the buckles hang in front of you wand weave the webbing through with your good hand. If you can hold some with your bad hand it may not even take cussing at it :P

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    My friend who is a hammocker, lost his arm 7 years ago at work. We found straps with a spring clip to hold his weight and he does fine with it. Actually, It's inspiring to see what he can do now.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I would go half way with Chickenwing. I would acctually say that rings would be a little easier to adjust than the buckles. They will have a slight weight and bulk penalty over the buckles but in my opinion...I make this crap so I get to play with it all........rings will adjust with less effort. Now the one point to hang on there is that you will need to tie a slipped half hitch to secure them from slipping where you don't with the buckles we offer. An extra step but I don't think it would be to hard. While the buckles are great they can lock down tight and to loosen you can need to lever them perpendicular to the direction of the webbing to free the tension....it could be done one handed but I feel like it might be a struggle/frustration that the ring system would not have.

For the tarp I would agree that using line locks, and I would say to have them on all corners of the tarp would be best. What I would do if I were building the tarp is put just line locks on the ground attachment points. On the ridgeline I would add the line lock with a D ring. Attach a mini carabiner to the end of the line, pass it around the tree and clip back to the D ring then adjust tension with the line lock. You get the desired V set up for your tarp suspension and tension can easily be dialed in with the line lock.

I have a couple friends that works with adaptive systems for disabled vets in the Tenkara fishing world. One is a doc that does Physiatrist, AKA Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation I would like to bounce this off his brain to get any further suggestions if you don't mind. Helped to convert him back to hammocks last year so he has an edge with his background and an idea with what we want to do to get you in the air.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY CWH
    Tarp
    DIY CWH
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Web/ buckles/rings
    Images
    Paul, Go for it. Im open to all the input I can get.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast