Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!

Ridge Line stretch

I already know that there are to many variables but I'll ask anyway. If I were to use quality nylon (REI - EMS brands) cordage for a structual ridge line how much would it/could it stretch during an over night slumber? One inch, two inches?? Does any one shorten there ridge line knowing that it will hit the target length with in a certain time at max stretch? Am I over thinking this?

The only know factors are ENO double, 6' 175lbs occupant.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The whole point of having a structural ridgeline is to set a consistent sag in your hammock fabric. You don't want it to stretch at all.

Nylon cord will stretch. The amount that it does is dependent on a lot of things, though. You'd be better off using some cording that doesn't stretch (dyneema, etc).
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Low stretch is good for ridgelines... but they should not carry a lot of weight so the super strong specialty cordage is not required. The forces on the ridgeline should be only a fraction of the forces on the suspension system.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used 550 cord and found it to stretch too much when I hung my hammocks tightly. Better than nothing, but not as good as low-stretch cord.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    One thing I have noticed on my RLs: Very often, after I get in, they are actually looser than before. The hammock sags in the middle, bringing the hammock ends closer together.

However, this may vary both with the hammock and how tight I tension the RL to start with. For example, my BB definitely tightens up not when I sit down in it, but after I lay down in it! Hence WB's directions not to over tighten, and that in fact correctly adjusted the RL might be a little loose while using it as a chair. But then whan you get all the way in, it will tighten right up. But I think that, in my use anyway, all my other hammocks, the RL has loosened up once I get in. The same action that causes my tarp to sag on the HH ( with the tarp attached to the hammock suspension) apparently causes the RL to loosen. A factor may be that I don't pull my RL very tight to start with, tending to attach higher to the tree. So, under those circumstances, a very strong RL is not needed. FWIW.

• + New Posts