Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Tarp End Flaps

I was thinking about the end flaps, or caps, or eaves, or gables, or whatever. I like the idea for some situations, but I really dislike having two more tie-outs (one on each end). So I tried to think of a way to do it w/o the tie-outs. What do y'all think of this?

Rather than making two caps, just have one piece of material. Sew it permanently to one side, then put velcro/zipper on the other side. When in use, it's attached to both sides of the tarp but just hangs down. Not straight down...it'll be shaped so the almost conforms to the bottom of the hammock but there should be a ~2' space between the hammock and tarp flap.

If the wind blows rain underneath at the ends, the rain will hit the outside of the hanging flap and run down the bottom.

The important thing...at the apex of the tarp there will be a small gap for the hammock support and ventilation. Maybe a small piece of elastic will keep the gap underneath the tarp's ridgeline so no rain comes inside the flap.

Options:
    - Put a pocket along the edge closest to the ground. Putting something in the pocket would help keep the flap from flapping, too.
    - Make both sides removable.

Thoughts?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i believe that would work great as long as you are fairly consistent in the way you hang your tarp & hammock. and i think a lot of you are.
    i tend to hang my tarp a lot higher than the hammock.
    but, yeah, with a pocket that has something in it to add a little weight & keep it from blowing, that would certainly do the job.
    it sounds like a good project for testing.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Sounds like a plan to me. I think your idea would work, but I would definitely need something to keep it from flapping around. Noises like that can keep me from sleeping.

Does one really need a ventilation section on a tarp beak (gable, eaves,etc) when the whole bottom portion of the tarp is open?
    Last edited by headchange4u; 06-05-2007 at 15:31.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Sounds like a plan to me. I think your idea would work, but I would defiantly need something to keep it from flapping around. Noises like that can keep me from sleeping.

Does one really need a ventilation section on a tarp beak (gable, eaves,etc) when the whole bottom portion of the tarp is open?
    I would think that trapping a bunch of moisture in the top of the tarp might be a bad idea...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Having trouble picturing that, Jeff. Can you draw a diagram or something to help explain?

Headchange makes a good point, besides being so defiant.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Having trouble picturing that, Jeff. Can you draw a diagram or something to help explain?
    Remember on the LG trip when I told you my idea for better wind protection for my BlackCat? Yeah...that's it Jeff's apparently graduated from raiding all the Walmarts in the country to raiding my brain
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yeah, I remember. Weird really that this has all come to pass since then. (Blackbishop told me about this idea a while ago). I guess all good ideas must come out. T-back has the best implementation of this idea so far.

Obviously we're all on the same wavelength here.

Like, Wow!
    Last edited by NCPatrick; 03-05-2007 at 10:39.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I would think that trapping a bunch of moisture in the top of the tarp might be a bad idea...
    If you set the tarp up perpendicular to the wind you probably would not get much air flow through a top vent anyways, but even when I have the tarp pitched close to the ground for rainy or windy conditions I get air flow all around the hammock.

I would think a top vent would be necessary if you were using something like the JRB Tart Tents which are totally enclosed.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    If you set the tarp up perpendicular to the wind you probably would not get much air flow through a top vent anyways, but even when I have the tarp pitched close to the ground for rainy or windy conditions I get air flow all around the hammock.

I would think a top vent would be necessary if you were using something like the JRB Tart Tents which are totally enclosed.
    On a trip not too long ago, it was chilly (40* low) but a bit humid...I got condensation all over the bottom of my tarp, without end covers. I think it was because I didn't pitch one side high on my trek poles that night. And because there wasn't much wind.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    [QUOTE=headchange4u;9088]Sounds like a plan to me. I think your idea would work, but I would defiantly need something to keep it from flapping around. Noises like that can keep me from sleeping.

.QUOTE]

maybe in addition to the pockets w/ stuff in them, have a channel across the bottom w/ a draw string & cord lock that would take up any slack???
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast