Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Ridgerunner(in the mail)
    Tarp
    Cloudburst(in the
    Insulation
    Lynx/Mamba
    Images
    Your not alone in the Sierra. I'm looking into my first hammock set up. Can't wait to get started. Figure I will end up with a few configurations before I learn what I like.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Keep the information coming. I've been car, tent and RV camping for years, and now I want to hammock, so any information is greatly appreciated.

I been to yosemite 2 times and ansel adams once with my hammock...at elevations of about 8000-9000 ft. ive hung fine...temps in august have dropped as low as 35...i had a hennesssey ultralite with a 32 degree cats meow sleeping bag and my special "foil covered bubble wrap pad". I went to the hardware store and got that shiny bubble insulation they coat ducts with...im not sure what it called but it cheap and light. i made a pad out of it...i was cold in the early am but was fine and awoke at about 6am and made a fire to warm up.

Hammock
    Knotty design, 1.5 oz stretch side
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnmanmike View Post
    I'm hoping to get some feedback on hanging in the Sierras. Having camped there on the ground for many years, I know that the temperature and weather varies widely. I'm wondering what quilts to get. My first thought would be to get 20 degrees top and bottom, and vent when needed...I've been snowed on in August on more than one occasion!
    I usually hang out in the Golden Trout Wilderness. Usually start in mid april and can go until late Oct. maybe 1st week in Nov. In years past I have used thermarest pads and been fine with a 20 degree down bag. I made a couple of Sew-up PLUQ and had planned on using them this season but have also been working on 6 to 8 oz. climashield UQs. The PLUQ have been used around the first of the year when it was in the high 20s and stayed warm (both have 2 additional layer of insultex). I would think 20s would be a good target, I always bring a pair of UL bottoms and LS top and a pair of socks to sleep in if I think it may get cool (your talking about 10 extra oz.) Bring a warm stocking cap or balacava, it does make a big difference. Good luck and have fun.
    - Gary -

"Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Hammockgear
    Insulation
    Te-Wa & JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    GaryBunk is right about keeping your head warm.

Also, I find that I am usually cover head to toe with warm layers when I sleep at night in the Sierra. I have a WBBB and a traveler. I usually take just the traveler and a simple head bug net for the Sierra trip.

Pro tip. Having a baseball cap style hat help with keeping the bug net off your face.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by georgemaung View Post
    GaryBunk is right about keeping your head warm.

Pro tip. Having a baseball cap style hat help with keeping the bug net off your face.
    +1 to the cap and I love the ball cap idea!
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12