I have a couple multi-day trips planned for this up and coming summer. Because of these trips, I finally ordered a hammock, as apose to tent or bottom of the boat sleeping.
A bit of an over view of the trips (none have designated camp sites, so we set camp when we're tired;
- One will be river hopping from small river to the next via kayak with a small section along the shore of the Georgian Bay (big water).
- One is a mtn bike, then hike/bushwhack
- The last will see us hop off the train (request a stop) in the middle of nowhere, in search of an old ghost town (early 1900's lumber and fur trade town).
So... a few noob questions when it comes the hammock camping.
- Where do you folks generally store your footwear when sleeping (water shoes, hiking boots, etc)?
Sounds trivial, but with no accurate weather reports (middle of nowhere), likely in dense bush, it would be nice to have the footwear close at hand and dry.
- Any tips or tricks when it comes to dense bush hanging?
The Hammock I ordered is ~9ft long. I'm a bit concerned finding a pair of trees suitable in dense bush could be an issue.
- (non-noob question) How or where to you store your other gear?
While tent camping, I'd either hook my pack on a tree, or under the edge of the fly on the tent.