Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm with Bill. If you're off the beaten path on crown land, just clear the spot you need for your site. It will be grown in by the end of the summer again. If you're in traveled areas, or by waterways, try and find a clear spot you can use.
    What ghost town are you looking for? My dad grew up in a now abandoned town North of Lake Nipigon. We've been planning to go up there for a couple of years now.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    I'm with Bill. If you're off the beaten path on crown land, just clear the spot you need for your site. It will be grown in by the end of the summer again. If you're in traveled areas, or by waterways, try and find a clear spot you can use.
    What ghost town are you looking for? My dad grew up in a now abandoned town North of Lake Nipigon. We've been planning to go up there for a couple of years now.
    Will be going to Nicholson Ontario This year.
    I would much rather go in search of Dalton Station, but an old highschool buddy of mine's family was from Nicholson back when it still had the mill, so we're checking out where his family had grown up and worked.
    Dalton Station would me more my kind of trip with being harder to get to and very limited access. Nicholson will still be fun, and we still have to contend with what we'll find when we hop off the train.

If you are into geocaching (I'm not anymore, but still), next year's major trip will be of interest. http://coord.info/GCDFB (N 51° 55.225 W 082° 42.669). This one will be possibly one of my toughest adventures and may even be a solo trip of I can't find a travel partner.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    I also like to stay aware of potential tick-nesting sites. Best places to find them, per my dog, are in animal "beds" and under broad-leaf trees. Animal beds being anyplace that looks cozy and protected and padded, like a little depression next to a pine tree or a broadleaf. Where animals sleep ticks breed.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Quote Originally Posted by steveflinn View Post
    I also like to stay aware of potential tick-nesting sites. Best places to find them, per my dog, are in animal "beds" and under broad-leaf trees. Animal beds being anyplace that looks cozy and protected and padded, like a little depression next to a pine tree or a broadleaf. Where animals sleep ticks breed.
    We're fairly lucky where I am (so far) as the ticks haven't been spotted this far north. Other then the French River Rattlers around where we live (which I've never seen evidence of), we don't have any real poisonous insects or animals up here.
    Southern Ontario is a different story however.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm surprised you don't have ticks that far South Mike. They've moved in heavily up here in the last 10 years. If you head North they vanish pretty quick, but it won't be long before they're there as well.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    I'm surprised you don't have ticks that far South Mike. They've moved in heavily up here in the last 10 years. If you head North they vanish pretty quick, but it won't be long before they're there as well.
    I'm not that far south of you....

The ticks appear to be somewhat land locked. This means they can come in (from the US) through your area and Niagra, but because the big body of water between where I am and the US, it's taking time for them to get here.

Given that you see the same/similar temps as we see here (Sudbury), I guess winter temperatures isn't keeping them at bay.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    DIY Silny
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Mike View Post
    If you are into geocaching (I'm not anymore, but still), next year's major trip will be of interest. http://coord.info/GCDFB (N 51° 55.225 W 082° 42.669). This one will be possibly one of my toughest adventures and may even be a solo trip of I can't find a travel partner.
    My wife and I are geocachers. We tend to combine geocaching with our camping, traveling, and scuba adventures. I've been thinking of placing a few hard-to-get-to caches in the coast range here in Oregon.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Demitri View Post
    My wife and I are geocachers. We tend to combine geocaching with our camping, traveling, and scuba adventures. I've been thinking of placing a few hard-to-get-to caches in the coast range here in Oregon.
    I'm all about the tough, out of the way caches.
    Have 4 hardcore caches and one 5/5 event.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12