HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

AT Section Hike

I'm looking for some hiking partners for a section hike.

I'm going to be hiking from Kent, CT to Route 4, VT late May, early June. Total miles @ 235.

I've got over 5,000 miles of hiking the AT, so I've got the experience, but I've had 4 surgeries this past year. The last one was 5 months ago with a full knee replacement. I'm wanting to hike @ 10 to 15 miles a day, depending on the section, and doing some Slack Packing as well.

I'll be driving there from Northern California, so I'll have my vehicle with me. If someone wanted to do some Slack Packing & you had a vehicle, we could hopscotch with the vehicles.

I plan on hiking the full AT again in 2014, and this is a test to see if my body still has what it takes.

So, is anyone interested?

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    My buddy and I have plane tickets for May 13 & May 20 to fly to Albany. Plans are to start at Salisbury, CT, and go till Sunday. Maybe we'll see you there?

Hammock
    WBBB / WWM
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing & whoops..
    I could be in for a couple days.

I'll keep an eye on this.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    My buddy and I have plane tickets for May 13 & May 20 to fly to Albany. Plans are to start at Salisbury, CT, and go till Sunday. Maybe we'll see you there?
    Are you hiking the AT? North or South?

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    A continuation of my journey begun at Springer the day Katrina hit New Orleans. On the 2nd day of that trip I met a guy with a hammock, and knew at first sight that hammocking was it for me. That guy's name? One Thing. At the time he was getting over lyme and testing his legs for another run at the trail.

You probably don't remember me, but at that time my pack was 50+ pounds, my gear was "functional" but heavy, and my gut was a lot bigger...

I did not have a trail name at that time. You told me about (something like this) SWITCH, "So What Else Can I Toss Today". My trail name now is: SWEAT, slowly walking, enjoying the AT ... while perspiring profusely.

Heading north. Hope we can hook up at least for a day. My buddy and I are hoping to do more than 10 miles per day on this trip.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Yes Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    A continuation of my journey begun at Springer the day Katrina hit New Orleans. On the 2nd day of that trip I met a guy with a hammock, and knew at first sight that hammocking was it for me. That guy's name? One Thing. At the time he was getting over lyme and testing his legs for another run at the trail.

You probably don't remember me, but at that time my pack was 50+ pounds, my gear was "functional" but heavy, and my gut was a lot bigger...

I did not have a trail name at that time. You told me about (something like this) SWITCH, "So What Else Can I Toss Today". My trail name now is: SWEAT, slowly walking, enjoying the AT ... while perspiring profusely.

Heading north. Hope we can hook up at least for a day. My buddy and I are hoping to do more than 10 miles per day on this trip.

Hey, ya I remember you. All I can say is good for you. I remember you because the trail was empty. Everyone was scared about that girl Katrina. (She did turn out to be on the ugly side) We got hit hard once Katrina started working its way up North.

Needless to say, I didn't listen to the doctors to stay off the trail while I was recovering from Lyme. (Which I had for over 2 yrs while hiking the AT) The Lyme got worst, & I fell off a small cliff. Broke, cracked, & bruised everything on the left side of my body. I've had a number of surgeries, & still have the Lyme. But why let that stop ya from getting back out and hiking a few more thousand miles.

I remember that night very well. That's one of the crazy things about hiking the AT, everything good or bad is stuck in my brain. I build a fire that night. The next morning you took a picture before I headed out.

I remember you asking a ton of questions about the hammock. So glad to hear you made the jump.

Keep in touch, and I hope to see you out there again.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Wow! You Really Did Switch

I just looked at some of your pictures here on HF. Outstanding job on the gear you've made. You're right, I wouldn't have known you. You & I did a reverse in size. After over 2 yrs of hiking over 5,000 miles, after the fall, I was laid up for over a year. I packed on the pounds.

I always had a ton of respect for section hikers. One, you guys always had extra food. And two, most were willing to share. I'm trying my hand at DIY, but I'm better at hiking than sewing.

Take it easy.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Amazing that you were able to find that pix! For those of you wondering... Gooch Mtn shelter in Georgia.

Let me know what you decide to do about hiking CT/MA/VT and let's see if we can hook up.

• + New Posts