Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ridgelines, etc. for DIY hammocks

I am putting together a hammock and had a few questions and needed some suggestions.

There are plenty of videos on how to make a hammock, which has worked the best for you? There are so many different ways to tie on the suspension and so many suspensions! Also, what are your feelings on a ridgeline? I don't plan on using a bug net right away and I know I can put one on later, I just want to know as far as comfort goes. What is more comfortable or convenient? I know alot of this comes down to personal preference, just thought I'd get some input so I can decide how to make my hammock. Any helpful tips or videos are greatly appreciated!

See you on the trail!

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm with ya, I got a lot to learn. I made one on a whim and at first it was comfortable. Today I hung it and thought eh...maybe not so much. I did lay in a wbbb. I may ask to borrow it to try out as mine seemed too tight. I think it may have something to do with having no ridgeline.
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I won't name any brands but the longer your hammock is the better. The normal width of 60" is fine for a hammock, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. The bridge hammock is supposedly more comfortable to some, but since I haven't tried one I cannot confirm or deny that statement.

People are all different. Most have had really good luck with the warbonnet blackbird (okay listed a brand) but I have read where others absolutely hate it. I personally will only use a detached net for my hammock period. I have a knee problem that requires me to rewhip the ends and if I were to have an integrated net it would severely complicate that.

Long story short, buy one to get hanging then figure out what you do and don't like. If I were to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing. I only have about $200 invested in all of my gear. 3 hammocks, a tq, 2 uq's, and 2 tarps. It's cheap and easy to get started. Feel free to pm me if you would like to know how I did it. Welcome to the forums btw...

Forgot the most important part...make your hammock start off at 11' then once you get comfy you can see how short you can go. I'm 6'2" and have found that I am comfy with about a 10' hammock. It'll save weight in the long run...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Firetruck, It's good to know we are in the same boat. I am a little worried that I'll mess something up, that's why I need all the advice I can get!

Fish, thank you for the help! You are probably right, and I guess that's what I've been reading: you have to try it out to know.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    There's not a whole lot to mess up that can't be changed/fixed, so jump on in.

Knotty's way.

DIY Gear Supply instructions.

Just Jeff's info.

As far as picking one of the many suspension systems...just pick one. You're going to end up trying them all anyway.

gmcttr, thanks for the links! Looks like I have some work to do! I cannot wait to hang!

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I whipped tablecloths together... It looks like this when done... easy and efficient... This works the same with whoopies as well as UCRs... U have found I really like the less cord involved in the UCR, less to get tangled and if you use a bishop bag it makes it a lot less likely to find your whole whoopie strung out inside your pack...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Dream Puff
    I use a ridge line to get the same hang every time. It simplifies set up when the only adjustment you have to worry about is how far of the ground you are. As long as the ridge line is tight everything is were I like it to be. Some nights I will just throw my tarp over it and call it good, no extra lines or stakes to run.

Brute, thank you! That is exactly what I've been looking for. If I added a ridge line, I could just put the ridge line's loop through the suspension, right? Also, what is better, the gathered end or whipped end hammock? I've read quite a bit about each, I just cannot decide!

As a side note, I absolutely love HF! Great people, good conversation, and amazing insight! Everyone is so polite and generous! Thanks you to all!

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Ridgelines, etc. for DIY hammocks

Quote Originally Posted by hofer150 View Post
    Brute, thank you! That is exactly what I've been looking for. If I added a ridge line, I could just put the ridge line's loop through the suspension, right? Also, what is better, the gathered end or whipped end hammock? I've read quite a bit about each, I just cannot decide!

As a side note, I absolutely love HF! Great people, good conversation, and amazing insight! Everyone is so polite and generous! Thanks you to all!
    Yeah, ridgeline just attaches to suspension. All types you are considering are gathered end I'm pretty sure. Whipped end hammocks are the easiest and most adjustable in that you can undo one end and redo it at a different length I done this to decide the length I wanted. Another type of gathered end is an end channel... just sew a 1-2 inch channel with 2+ rows of stitching (I use 3-4) then put your chosen suspension through the channel (I like channels best). A kind of hybrid would be the knotty version, shown in gmcttr's link above.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast