Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Full Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie,trunks
    Images

clark hammock question

on their page they claim that the pockets will insulate your torso down to 32f. just wandering if anybody has had any experience with these hammocks.

Sure, there are lots of us around here on the forums. I use the NX250, I have used it outdoors about six months on an every night basis. When the air temps went down to the 50's it worked pretty well if I tucked the top cover under my legs and sides, in the 40's it was easy to get a cool back or feet with the same set up. I also used the weather shield while in these temps. When I added an under quilt to the set up it was like coming in by the fire. The pockets when empty, in my opinion, do little more than buffer what ever breeze might come by, but some do believe that the "trapped" air in them does some insulating. I am glad they are not responsible for my sleeping comfort. All that said, I absolutely love this hammock, it has been my every night sleeping place since the end of May 2012, and no end in sight. Bomb proof durability, and for me, great comfort. Hope that helps with your questions.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I can get down into the mid-50's comfortably with empty pockets. Thats with a summer weight sleeping bag inside. Any colder than that and I need something more. Extra clothing in the pockets does help but I never have enough extra stuff to fill all the pockets.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 w/ ridgeline & NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I can get down into the mid-50's comfortably with empty pockets. Thats with a summer weight sleeping bag inside. Any colder than that and I need something more. Extra clothing in the pockets does help but I never have enough extra stuff to fill all the pockets.
    I've been told that some folks carry zip top baggies to fill with air to fill the pockets. Not sure how well it'd work, but it may be better than nothing. I may try it on my next outing.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bacon_grease View Post
    I've been told that some folks carry zip top baggies to fill with air to fill the pockets. Not sure how well it'd work, but it may be better than nothing. I may try it on my next outing.
    Leaves work. I've been down to 35, 32 deg rated bag with gear stuffed in the pockets. I had the storm shield about 3/4 closed, but I was fine. Mine is an NX 200, dont' make those any more because people like sticks in their hammocks too much

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 w/ ridgeline & NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchego View Post
    Leaves work. I've been down to 35, 32 deg rated bag with gear stuffed in the pockets. I had the storm shield about 3/4 closed, but I was fine. Mine is an NX 200, dont' make those any more because people like sticks in their hammocks too much
    They stopped making the NX-200? Man, that was one slick hammock.

I suppose their reasoning is that if you want a 200, you can buy the 250 and leave the sticks at home.

Hammock
    Clark North American/DD Travel/WBBB
    Tarp
    DD XL Basha
    Insulation
    pad,reflector.
    Suspension
    ropes/tree straps.
    I've slept in my North american in some pretty cold nights.The very first hang was -9 Celsius. I had a good bag and a pad and I slept on some of my spare clothes.The coldest night I spent in mine was -15 Celsius.I'm not sure what the pockets did as far as keeping the air "warmer" close to me.But I survived both trips and a ton of others in between.My Clark has been my home away from home for a few years now and I hope it keeps up the good service.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bacon_grease View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchego View Post
    Leaves work. I've been down to 35, 32 deg rated bag with gear stuffed in the pockets...
    I like these two ideas! I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I'm salivating over a NX-x50 (probably 250) before going on overnight wilderness trips again for remote fly angling. Air filled baggies should work (best) if the air inside the baggies and pockets remains still. Up here in western WA the forests are mainly thick fir, hemlock, and cedar, but there is slide alder in some areas. Though cutting boughs is an easy source of emergency insulation below the treeline, dead leaves are usually not readily available. Where leaves (usually wet/damp around here) were plentiful, bringing 6 small trash bags to put the leaves into to keep the pocket dry seems like a good idea.

In my younger days I used to be a climber/ski mountaineer from the early 70s to the early 90s but now my duffer bones wouldn't appreciate sleeping on the ground. On snow I used to shake/wipe the snow off my outer layer, get in my tent and empty everything out of my pack, put a Thermarest over the pack, then spread all my gear on the Thermarest, and put my bag over that. Even my boots went into a plastic bag under my feet or my head. On average it gave me an extra inch or so of insulation + the 1.5 inch pad under my torso; not a lot. Needless to say it wasn't like sleeping on a cloud but I was always warm in a 20° bag and a expedition or mid-weight Thermax or Caprilene base layer.

With the Clark NX-250 since I'm not really putting any body weight on the insulating gear, I should only feel the gear below on my body if the bulk of material I stuff into the pockets pushes up from the bottom into the top of the pockets, no? Sounds sweet.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 03-21-2013 at 01:08.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

pocket insulation

I wonder if the ziplock bag would work better if enough pillow insulation were taken and dispersed into the 6 baggies. of course the insulation would have to loft greatly

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I seem to recall there has been some talk about DIY Z Liners, and modifying sleeping bags into Underquilts. What is the top to bottom height of the NX pockets? Do the pockets have room for more loft than an UQ? When stuffed with insulation, do the pockets overlap like slant-baffles in a good sleeping bag?

I have some experience sewing up mountaineering soft goods. I have a couple of nice sleeping bags I don't use in my SB storage trunk. Would sewing squares into an old sleeping bag, cutting out the squares and finishing the seams to use them for NX-x50 pocket insulation be worth trying? Would I be better off fashioning an UQ from a sleeping bag?
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 03-22-2013 at 20:22.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast