Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps

Whipping help and rings if you please

I finally got my first hammock sewed, and I whipped the ends. The fabric is slick as hell and I simply folded and folded the ends.
    1) Do you need to pay attention to whip the ends the same way to keep the scoops on the same side?
    2) My whipping slipped a bit then held, is that normal or is this fabric just that slick?
    3) Should I stick with the folding method or just start hand gathering it?
    4) This design is plenty wide but the sides were not tight at all, and I had a weird tight spot down the middle, can I solve that while gathering the ends? (still comfortable though!)
    5) when you use 1"webbing with rings off the hammock, what rings do you use? I found some at my local store that are climbing rated but expensive and heavy! I was playing around with just going off carabiners and using red's 1 ring(biner) with a toggle lock.
    6) how much stretch is normal? When my 4 year old sat in it, he got a bit of stretch, when I did my butt was almost on the ground.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    I...1) Do you need to pay attention to whip the ends the same way to keep the scoops on the same side?

If I understand the question...probably not.

2) My whipping slipped a bit then held, is that normal or is this fabric just that slick?

It shouldn't slip. Whip it as tight as you can and right up against the end hem.

3) Should I stick with the folding method or just start hand gathering it?

I've done it many ways. Sometimes there are subtle differences in the feel of the lay. Have fun and experiment...it only takes a few minutes to redo an end.

4) This design is plenty wide but the sides were not tight at all, and I had a weird tight spot down the middle, can I solve that while gathering the ends? (still comfortable though!)

You can certainly make a difference. After you have gathered an end, try pulling the first 6" of fabric from each corner out ~1". That should take some of the flop out of the edges. You can also install the Knotty Stretch-side mod.

5) when you use 1"webbing with rings off the hammock, what rings do you use? I found some at my local store that are climbing rated but expensive and heavy! I was playing around with just going off carabiners and using red's 1 ring(biner) with a toggle lock.

SMC descending rings.

6) how much stretch is normal? When my 4 year old sat in it, he got a bit of stretch, when I did my butt was almost on the ground.

Depending on the fabric, there can be some stretch. Also nylon webbing straps are usually avoided because they stretch. Use polyester webbing, if you're not already.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    looks like you have some good answers there. i'll just add a good source for rings. slingrings.com has them in various sizes and colors. i use the 2in black ones. the prices are for a pair. they have super quick to ship in my experiance.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    ...i'll just add a good source for rings. slingrings.com has them in various sizes and colors...
    What's the strength of their rings? They only state pulling testing to 250 lbs and several other tests with no results given.

Hammock
    DIY 4x9 1.1 oz ripstop (5.3 oz)
    Tarp
    ZPack Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    DG UCRs, Mule Tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    I finally got my first hammock sewed, and I whipped the ends.

RISK: It may slip up to the end hem. It is the 3 thicknesses of the hem that keep the whipping from slipping off. I have begun leaving off the whipping entirely and just using a double wrapped lark's head alone. I am using a dynaglide lark's head though.

RISK: I find that the sides seem floppy until I say down diagonally. Then my feet take up the slack on one side, raising the side of the hammock about 18 inches, my shoulder takes up most of the slack on the other side. The "wierd crease" seems to be due to the tightest band supporting the part my bottom or back or hip which is pushing down the most. When I move my bottom left or right, the "cord" moves and I find a comfortable place where it supports my ankle or the back of a knee in a comfortable way. But I never get rid of it.
    Answer in line above...
    Rick (Risk) Website: http://www.imrisk.com
    I cook. I sew. I walk. I lead. I hang. I write. I play.
    Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.amazon.com/Wildly-Success.../dp/B00COCI5HW

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    The slingrings hold me fine and I'm 240. I'm no mathmagician but if they are rated at 250 and they are doubled up for hammock use then 500? Not sure how the all the other forces involved affect that but I ain't felled. Well I digress, if you don't back it up with a slippery halfhitch you will fall.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Thanks for the responses and the gear links. I did some better searching here on the boards as well so I have a better idea what to do. So much fun product testing with a 4 yr old. I almost had him asleep in the hammock at one point.

Hammock
    hh safari
    Tarp
    hh hex 1.3
    Insulation
    jacks nest
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    That's right start them young keep them interested and you will always have a camping buddy.

• + New Posts