Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Stovemandan View Post
    You are correct. This thread will more than likely become a Donating Member only thread.
    I don't see that as being a wise move on the part of the Moderators. This thread brings up aspects of being a Donating Member that non-Donating Members seldom see, know of, think of or read about. It has already inspired at least one person(Lorac) to become one, that might not have happened otherwise, if the thread had been moved before he saw it.

Heck, I've been visiting this site for over 2 years and wasn't aware of the benefits discussed so far. There's a hidden backpacking forum? I may have to become a Donating Member myself !
    Last edited by trailryder42; 02-17-2013 at 12:05.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/SSniveller
    Suspension
    Tri-Glide Set

Unleash the beast

Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    I don't see that as being a wise move on the part of the Moderators. This thread brings up aspects of being a Donating Member that non-Donating Members seldom see, know of, think of or read about. It has already inspired at least one person(Lorac) to become one, that might not have happened otherwise, if the thread had been moved before he saw it.

Heck, I've been visiting this site for over 2 years and wasn't aware of the benefits discussed so far. There's a hidden backpacking forum? I may have to become a Donating Member myself !
    I agree. If it weren't for this thread, I would have no knowledge of the Secret Knot Club.
    Still shakin' it Boss, still shakin' it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Guys, it isn't a hidden forum. It is discussed openly in the Terms of Service, there are announcement threads about it, and there's a Donation button right at the top of the site.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Guys, it isn't a hidden forum. It is discussed openly in the Terms of Service, there are announcement threads about it, and there's a Donation button right at the top of the site.
    I guess it depends on the type browser you are. I skim, skipping over everything except what immediately is of interest. I've been an internet browser long enough to have learned to ignore / dismiss most stuff on a webpage, in order to navigate quicker and not spend so much time on the computer.

Terms of Service, Announcement threads, Donation Button?,......Don't remember ever seeing them, or at least ever giving them any attention.

I have a bunch of websites I go to for backpacking. Most of them were around long before HF. To me it never hurts to visit as many as you can since you never know what you may learn.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I have a bunch of websites I go to for backpacking. Most of them were around long before HF. To me it never hurts to visit as many as you can since you never know what you may learn.

I get around to quite a few that I've belonged to for many years also, as Ewker knows. This one is growing nicely and is run very well, so I've been spending a lot of time here.
    I'm another one that needs to step up and donate here and get to some more backpacking specific discussions.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEarth View Post
    I like the guys on BackPackingLight as well. A lot of them live out west and I've flown out and done trips with them. It's a great group. I think your doing yourself a disservice to think the holy grail is in one spot for all perspectives.
    Absolutely, but you're also doing yourself a disservice by not checking out the other sections here.

My first forray into forums was a guitar forum. I still use it, but it is snarky and condescending more times than not. Then I started looking at Whiteblaze when I got into backpacking and thought they were just the nicest bunch on the web... After hanging around over there for a while I've really gotten sick of a lot of the poor attitudes there. This forum on the otherhand seems to really be just positive people. I've really enjoyed my time here, and was happy to donate. (I didn't realize donating would get me into other sections, I just did it because I liked the cause and I only have to tell my wife when I spend more than $50. )
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stovemandan View Post
    You are correct. This thread will more than likely become a Donating Member only thread. .
    It would have, if the discussion stayed with backpacking, but there is more talk on becoming a donating member. Since that spin was thrown in, in may stay where it is.......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    when i became a donating member i didn't know about the extra sections that i'd gain access too either. i just wanted to donate because of all the great info on the site and how much everyone on here had helped me.

Hammock
    ENO DN, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly, Edge,
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

secret club

My two cents? This was not obvious to me. I have been reading HF almost every day for a few months now and I had no idea all this "extra" stuff was available. Truthfully, I hardly ever see the home page. I pull up the last page, whatever it was, hit new posts, and scroll through them.

Only $10? Yeah, it will happen. I may have to put it off for a few days just to prove to myself that I have some self control left when it comes to hammocks. My first ever UQ, the Yeti, will arrive any day, and I'm trying to figure out how to tell the wife I want to sleep outside midweek. So far, I've managed to pull it off as a weekend thing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast