CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Ohio Hang 3/29-31

I'm in. Looking forward to it.
    "He that lives upon hope will die fasting."

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Jeffrey View Post
    WARNING! Want to give everyone a fair WARNING: These lower sites all require a stream crossing. I plan on stripping to my skivvies and having some sort of water shoe to cross if the water seems to be a little high. It is springtime after all. May want to have your towel handy to dry off as well. From what I remember though, it was about knee deep with only a moderate discharge when I stayed at site 2 a few years ago during the springtime.
    That's what I'm talkin' about. Thanks for the head sup, man.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

Ohio Hang 3/29-31

Yeah, Jeff and I were talking this morning and we realized we hadn't mentioned the stream crossing.

Thanks for that Jeff.

I'm planning to be there around 1-3 Friday the 22nd.

Don't forget to get a permit at the kiosk everybody.

My buddy's going to try to take a half day Friday. If he gets it we should be up around the same time.

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I need to start keeping an eye on the forums again. . . I've been away too long. Hope to make it out for a hang with the Ohio crowd sometime soon, but I can't make this one. I'm making a solo trip out to Hoosier National Forest later this week, then heading up to Indy to visit some friends. I'd like to get back into the habit of getting out for a hang at least once a month though so I'll be out and about in Ohio, hopefully sooner rather than later.
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

sorry I won't be able to join in the fun but wanted to check in. I met many of you last winter at a couple of hangs & you were kind enough to fill me in on the basics of hammocking as I prepared for an AT thru hike. began 1st day of spring last yr, naively thinking I just needed to have the gear & know how to use it & just hike north for 6 or 7 months. OMG was I wrong. I never got the food business figured out. I had to quit the trail after 10 weeks just shy of 700 miles & a full 20 lbs lighter. even on the toughest days I never stopped feeling thrilled to be there. starting again in 3 wks - where I left off in VA. More realistic this time - I'll just for hike a few mos & I'll see how far I can get

Quote Originally Posted by rtramseyer View Post
    sorry I won't be able to join in the fun but wanted to check in. I met many of you last winter at a couple of hangs & you were kind enough to fill me in on the basics of hammocking as I prepared for an AT thru hike. began 1st day of spring last yr, naively thinking I just needed to have the gear & know how to use it & just hike north for 6 or 7 months. OMG was I wrong. I never got the food business figured out. I had to quit the trail after 10 weeks just shy of 700 miles & a full 20 lbs lighter. even on the toughest days I never stopped feeling thrilled to be there. starting again in 3 wks - where I left off in VA. More realistic this time - I'll just for hike a few mos & I'll see how far I can get
    You're a full blown adventurer! Congrats on getting out on the trail. Did you take your sweet custom shoes out with you? I'm a total convert to the ultra-breathable footwear. Always more than welcome and safe travels on your next bout of trail-time.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by rtramseyer View Post
    Rita,

How often our Ohio group had lamented that we lost track of you after you started your hike. You must bring us up on your experiences sometime. Will you journal or blog?

David

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

Ohio Hang 3/29-31

Rita,

Many times around a fire we talked about where you may be and how you were doing out there.

Please keep us updated on how things go this time around.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I can't make it next weekend, as I'm on-call for work, but I'd planned on going out to Mohican tomorrow afternoon just for a quick overnight.

I'm going to check out sites 1 - 3 again, but if the stream crossing looks too hairy, I may backtrack back to 4, 6, or 7. It'll be a little too chilly (40*, with a 50% chance of freezing rain) to risk hypothermia, since I'll be out by myself. Anything over knee deep, and I'm not attempting it. I just need a quick, informal, relaxing night in the woods.

I'll try to grab some pics along the way of the stream crossings, and the other sites if I end up at one of 'em.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast