DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by rtramseyer View Post
    sorry I won't be able to join in the fun but wanted to check in. I met many of you last winter at a couple of hangs & you were kind enough to fill me in on the basics of hammocking as I prepared for an AT thru hike. began 1st day of spring last yr, naively thinking I just needed to have the gear & know how to use it & just hike north for 6 or 7 months. OMG was I wrong. I never got the food business figured out. I had to quit the trail after 10 weeks just shy of 700 miles & a full 20 lbs lighter. even on the toughest days I never stopped feeling thrilled to be there. starting again in 3 wks - where I left off in VA. More realistic this time - I'll just for hike a few mos & I'll see how far I can get
    Check in with Dos, here on the forums. She made her thru last year and knows how the food drops work and all of that stuff..along with being female on the trail. She used to go by TwoIsles here on the forum, until she was given her trail name while on her thru.

I won't be able to make this hang....although I love, love, love water, and will miss Brother Jefferys creek show. How disappointing

Not to thread hijack, but.........

I do plan on doing a midweek in or near Zeleski if anyone wants to join. Sometime between March 25 and the 29 for two nights. I'll have two teen boys with me (Dakota and his best friend) and we'll be spending one entire day at Old Mans Caves. I know midweek makes it next to impossible for many of you, but if anyone is interested, I'll nail down the dates better for you. We're still adjusting with our on and off again temporary family member's heavy band schedule and I don't know what that schedule will be during spring break. Due to the mid week timing of this trip, I didn't feel it was worth the start up of a totally new thread planning area. So, if someone else has the same spring break week, let me know

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered End
    Tarp
    Speer Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Ohio Hang 3/29-31

I'm unfortunately out, due to a lower back & left hip injury. If I make a miraculous recovery I'll try to make it.
    "He that lives upon hope will die fasting."

- Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Re: Ohio Hang 3/29-31

My wife and i are going to be there around 3 or 4, but will not be at the lower sites. So we can hang out, or you can do the lower sites if you wanted.
    Travel Journal: http://clackstont100.weebly.com/

Hammock
    Yukon Double W Diy Woopies
    Tarp
    kelty Noah's 12
    Suspension
    DIY Woopies,Rap ri
    Images
    Looks like I am good to go.
    Can't wait to hang with some forum Members and talk gear.
    I am just building my gear so I will be annoyingly asking you all about yours.
    I will be there asap after work on Friday prob about 3 ish ; takes me about 2 hours to get down there from Fremont Ohio.
    Is there pot luck action happening, should I bring stuff to share? I don't want to be rude on my first official Forums Hang.
    Keep your Feet in the dust and your head out of the sand

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    How much hiking is this trip leading in to? Or is it a hike in/hike out deal?

I'd be interested in coming. I just did a 5 mile exercise hike today with 55lbs. My feet got blisters (I'll save the story for later), but if the miles are small this weekend I may be able to swing it. I need to get out camping again.

Was at camp 1 last night. Creek crossing was significant. Water had some junk in the trunk. Made it across walking on logs, little too deep to just take off shoes and roll up pants at the trail crossings but can find suitable ones near it off trail.

Took about 15/20 minutes to hike out, including creek crossing. Easy in, uphill out.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Was at camp 1 last night. Creek crossing was significant. Water had some junk in the trunk. Made it across walking on logs, little too deep to just take off shoes and roll up pants at the trail crossings but can find suitable ones near it off trail.

Took about 15/20 minutes to hike out, including creek crossing. Easy in, uphill out.
    Heck, I was just downstream from you at site 3. I found that there is a back way into sites 1 - 3 from the south. If you look at the map, there's a parking area on county road 3286. No need to cross the creek at all. The parking has room for 3 cars or so without blocking the gate, so consider that for those of you who are going next week.

Site 3 is 0.9 miles from the parking area, all downhill on the way in (about 200 feet of elevation loss). It's a great site for 3 - 5 hammocks, with good water. You could easily fit 10 more if you clear out the multiflora roses. Go through the gate at the parking area for a hundred yards or so, turn right at point E, and left at point F to descend to 3.

The creek crossing at 3 was a rock hop, as it's fairly wide there where the creek makes a turn south. For those of you who are going next week, if you have to cross because of the parking situation, you could always cross at 3, loop back around to whichever site you're staying at, although it will make for a long hike.

I took some pictures and attached them. Let me know if they don't work, as I'm posting this from my phone. uploadfromtaptalk1363561947603.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363561983190.jpguploadfromtaptalk1363562022172.jpg

Have fun guys! I'm liking site 3 so far, as I don't need to haul in a bunch of water, and it even has sandstone tables! It also looks less used than 9 or 10, as there was plenty of downed hardwood.
    Last edited by USMCStang; 03-17-2013 at 18:25.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

I was wondering if that was you on the registry, didn't see your car figured you'd bugged out. We parked at the bridal/hiking trail parking lot. Got to camp about 6:15pm, just enough time to set up and start a fire, but we'd planned on getting there earlier and were going to day hike the loop down there. There was definitely a bite in the air last night, my downmat in my WBRR failed to keep me cozy, have to look at my system again. Was a good place to test gear.
    Last edited by Red Wing; 03-18-2013 at 17:30.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I was wondering if that was you on the registry, didn't see your car figured you'd bugged out. We parked at the bridal/hiking trail parking lot. Got to camp about 6:15pm, just enough time to set up and start a fire, but we'd planned on getting their earlier and were going to day hike the loop down there. There was definitely a bite in the air last night, my downmat in my WBRR failed to keep me cozy, have to look at my system again. Was a good place to test gear.
    Yep, twas I. I used my DIY stretch side hammock, and my wife's 20* phoenix and stayed toasty, but I sleep hot anyway. It got down to 25* according to my thermometer.

We'll have to get out again in a few weeks.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie

My wife, dog and I were out there last night too. We were on site 6. Really nice site, liked site 5 too, but was too windy. Probably nice in the warmer months., found my car had lots little tongue marks around where the salt hits it. Didn't get a picture. That twp rd is fun to drive up!
    Travel Journal: http://clackstont100.weebly.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast