DIY w/~90in RL
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    "G'ma'sFeatherBed"
    Suspension
    Whoopies

My 2 cents

I am not trying to put HH on blast just add some info for someone who is on the fence about hammock camping in general.

My first hammock ever was a HH expedition zip, I had also bought the HHSS for my bottom insulation, I also had the over cover and 20* burrow from Hammock Gear. My first hang I set out to my local woods with a light rain the temps in the mid 40s. I was back home in four hours with these take-aways.

1. I needed a bigger tarp. As i power-walked back home all i could think about was what was the biggest tarp i could purchase. The rain that did get trough was stopped by the under cover of the SS.

2. Even though there was a light rain outside the tarp I felt like there was a light rain on the inside of the hammock. The moisture build up was so much that I thought my tarp was letting all the rain through and that my hammock was soaked with rain water.

3. I am more claustrophobic than I realize. I was mostly the overcover i think but with my tq, but net, rl organizer, and overcover. All i could think about was that i was in my HH coffin.

4. I was not a fan of the one side entry being the only way to get in and out. mostly because of the first point but also to adjust the HHSS on the no zip side i had to pinch the SS fabric from inside the hammock. if my arms were longer or if i was Mr. Fantastic i would have had no problem reaching up and over the ridgeline to adjust the SS but i was dealt neither of those cards.

Most of these things are just a me issue. I think i could have not used the over cover and been fine, I had pretty much a vapor barrier jacket on so that did not help much for the sweating/ moisture control and pitched my tarp in a better fashion. My hanging buddy loves his HH explorer deluxe he has not expressed any issues to me about his setup. That was the first and last time I slept in that hammock. I have gone on a DIY binge. I wish there was a rental service for all hammocks so you can test them out before you buy. I hope that this helps out at least one person. "That's all I have to say about that."-Forest Gump.

Hammock
    hh safari
    Tarp
    hh hex 1.3
    Insulation
    jacks nest
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    All new things take some getting accustomed to that's where this forum comes in takes some of the trial and error away.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    It's hard to even find a place that sells one brand of hammock, never mind most of them. I'm hoping to do a hammock tutorial at a local outdoors event this spring. Let people try them out. Of course, they'll be stuck trying HH since that's all we have.
    I've never had an issue with the fly. The asyms are designed for light weight. I've been through some serious storms with it, and have yet to get wet. My wife was always worried though, so I got her the Typhoon for Christmas. You do have the option to upgrade to the Hex when you order, but that does add a lot of weight. I'm going to make a larger tarp, but just to get more coverage for sitting.
    I've only ever used the bottom entry, which I am rather fond of. Watching my son get in his zip model last night I was always worried he was going to lean forward too much and flip over onto his face.
    Has your claustrophobia been eased with the DIY hammock?

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    I would have felt claustrophobic with the overcover as well.

But like all things, hammock camping takes some trial and error (which is different for everyone).

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Some of us like the integrated bug nets some of us don't. I don't... and you explained why mostly. I also didn't like waking up on the net looking at the ground. (I'm an active sleeper & it shifted the hammock around).
    I use a separate net now and a plain ol' gathered end hammock. Diff things make diff people happy and it takes some trial & error to find your niche. At least the hammocks hold their value and can be sold to get back most of your investment.

I'm glad you didn't give up...It took me a while and now I'm very happy.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Trying out and looking and touching hammock set ups is one of the reasons I like group hangs. There is always a variety of hammocks, tarps, suspensions and tweaks. Maybe we need to coordinate a group hang/hammock show at our local outfitters. Would need lots of turtle dog stands!
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY w/~90in RL
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    "G'ma'sFeatherBed"
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    Has your claustrophobia been eased with the DIY hammock?
    I have had no problem my my DIY. I dont have a bug net for it yet I don't know what design I will want to go with or if I even need it.

Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    I would have felt claustrophobic with the overcover as well.
    After living in Lubbock for 18 years I feel claustrophobic everywhere I go. Especially in Europe.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym,USMC Tarp
    Suspension
    Beeners and Rings
    BTW, Whatcha gonna do with that HHSS? Just askin.....
    Luck is the meeting of Destiny and Hard Work.......................................

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Try again without the over cover and a bigger tarp, without the over cover it will open up a lot. Even go with no tarp if possible! Nothing like stars though the trees. The bug net will fade away from thought.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW - I would try it with the over cover pulled back on the head end. Do not string it through the end rope and either fold it back or roll up one side so you can see out and get some more ventilation. You are going to get condensation is a situation like that if you are below the dew point and have high humidity in any kind of hammock. Your feet do not get claustrophobic but your head does. ;-) Pitch your feet into the wind and enjoy.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts