1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    In the woods? Nothing, yet, but in the backyard, yes.

I was set up in the backyard, well side yard, right beside the house. I was sound asleep, probably about 12:00a.m. and then my son's stupid* dog started barking, he was about 10' from my head and I have no idea what he was barking at. He was a big dog, with a very loud bark. Sure made me jump.....RR

*He really was a good dog, for the most part, very protective.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Half-Wit/Dangerbird, Darien..
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling

Talking Last night

Mine was last night when I was hang up in the hills above the Klickitat River. I awoke for some reason and when while I lay in my hammock I heard this deep low grow,,,,, I held my breath and waited to make sure it was some thing real. Then I heard it again and I just started clapping my hands together.... What ever it was, and I think it was a wolf, ran up the hill... It took me a few minutes to calm down... I think it was scared of my hammock.,.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0+4oz
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Fall of 2011 we were camping up in the BWCA. Well the 4 of us had a slight buzz and had just about burned up our firewood. So we decides to head out and gather up socme more, well as my buddy scanned across with his headlight I saw the sole of a shoe under a pile of pine tree limbs. First thing that came to my mind was stand by me. I thought for sure that there would be a body laying under there. Thankfully it was just a pair of shoes somebody had tossed. My eyes got so big and my adrenaline pumped so bad I probably could have seen without the headlamp!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Many years ago was on a fly-in fishing trip out of Lac Seul, ON. Canada, and me and a buddy made a portage into another lake to fish, about a mile long, and we fished for a few hours after making the portage, and had our limits of walleye, and northerns, and decided to portage back, dragging a 14ft V bottom boat, and all our equipment and gear and fish,,and a black bear started following us,,it kept getting closer and closer,,till finally was right upon us within about 20ft, and we were doing a stand-off with it,,finally we threw our stringers of fish at him as he was closing in on us. He took the fish and dragged the 2 stringers into the brush so we beat it back down the portage with everything,,as it took 2 trips and we were on our second,,got back out of the fly-in,,told the outfitter about it,,,later that summer, got a letter from him,,ours was the second time the bear had done it to fishermen that season,,3rd time later that spring the bear chased down some more fishermen,,,they had to go up and kill the bear to keep it from happening ever again. I have had a couple of other encounters of bears but nothing like that experience.

Another time,,I was in Vietnam,,we had a typhoon hit us while on patrol,,10 Marines and a Naval Corpsman,, and we were radioed to get to high ground as fast as possible,,in less than a hour,,winds were over 100 mph,,we were all tied together by rope,,I was point man,,and went across a small stream of water that was about 10ft wide and ankle deep,,by the time the last man crossed it, we had to pull him across by rope as he was swimming,,lost his rifle, and pack and everything except what clothes he wore,,we didn't think he was going to make it. We got to a old abandoned hill compound that had 3/4 of a very small 15' x 20' building still on the very top of it standing,,spent the nite in 200 mph winds and rain pounding us and not able to move..after the storm,spent the next 3 days killing every imaginable poisonness snake that was trying to get to high ground as we were surrounded by water that was over 30ft deep...when we tried to sleep at nite, 2 would stand guard, burning pieces of bamboo for light,,still killing snakes occasionally as the rest of us huddled together in the corner of the hut. We killed more than 75 snakes over 3 days with the biggest about 22 ft long python, to this day,,snakes bother me. If I see them first,,I'm ok and can mess with them,,but if they sneak up on me, I still jump and run. Just don't care for snakes to this day.

Fear is a mindset. You have to control your fear, if nothing more, to think clearly, and analyize your situation and figure out, how to work the situation before you out, to your benifit.
    Last edited by Acer; 03-03-2013 at 18:19.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    Mine was last night when I was hang up in the hills above the Klickitat River. I awoke for some reason and when while I lay in my hammock I heard this deep low grow,,,,, I held my breath and waited to make sure it was some thing real. Then I heard it again and I just started clapping my hands together.... What ever it was, and I think it was a wolf, ran up the hill... It took me a few minutes to calm down... I think it was scared of my hammock.,.
    That'd pucker me up! Good thing you didn't have to go "Leonidas" on him.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Many years ago was on a fly-in fishing trip out of Lac Seul, ON. Canada, and me and a buddy made a portage into another lake to fish, about a mile long, and we fished for a few hours after making the portage, and had our limits of walleye, and northerns, and decided to portage back, dragging a 14ft V bottom boat, and all our equipment and gear and fish,,and a black bear started following us,,it kept getting closer and closer,,till finally was right upon us within about 20ft, and we were doing a stand-off with it,,finally we threw our stringers of fish at him as he was closing in on us. He took the fish and dragged the 2 stringers into the brush so we beat it back down the portage with everything,,as it took 2 trips and we were on our second,,got back out of the fly-in,,told the outfitter about it,,,later that summer, got a letter from him,,ours was the second time the bear had done it to fishermen that season,,3rd time later that spring the bear chased down some more fishermen,,,they had to go up and kill the bear to keep it from happening ever again. I have had a couple of other encounters of bears but nothing like that experience.

Another time,,I was in Vietnam,,we had a typhoon hit us while on patrol,,10 Marines and a Naval Corpsman,, and we were radioed to get to high ground as fast as possible,,in less than a hour,,winds were over 100 mph,,we were all tied together by rope,,I was point man,,and went across a small stream of water that was about 10ft wide and ankle deep,,by the time the last man crossed it, we had to pull him across by rope as he was swimming,,lost his rifle, and pack and everything except what clothes he wore,,we didn't think he was going to make it. We got to a old abandoned hill compound that had 3/4 of a very small 15' x 20' building still on the very top of it standing,,spent the nite in 200 mph winds and rain pounding us and not able to move..after the storm,spent the next 3 days killing every imaginable poisonness snake that was trying to get to high ground as we were surrounded by water that was over 30ft deep...when we tried to sleep at nite, 2 would stand guard, burning pieces of bamboo for light,,still killing snakes occasionally as the rest of us huddled together in the corner of the hut. We killed more than 75 snakes over 3 days with the biggest about 22 ft long python, to this day,,snakes bother me. If I see them first,,I'm ok and can mess with them,,but if they sneak up on me, I still jump and run. Just don't care for snakes to this day.

Fear is a mindset. You have to control your fear, if nothing more, to think clearly, and analyize your situation and figure out, how to work the situation before you out, to your benifit.
    Not as bad, but spent about 2 years in North Africa with the Marines. I spent many of days and rainy nights walking the perimeter of a post that was surrounded by tall grass. One day the Navy came out and did a controlled burn around the perimeter, that is when I saw the thousands of burnt snake carcasses. Certainly changed by awareness.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I had a new one last night:
    Been feeling poorly Starting late PM on Thursday till Saturday AM(ish) so had spent all that time (mostly) in bed, and bed is my hammock outside. Went to bed last night, got in, just snuggled in & Felt/Heard a ripping sound as I jerked towards the ground I just knew my suspension had tore loos from the fabric of my hammock.
    Then I stopped, inches from the ground. So I got my shoes on & investigated,,,,, While feeling ill, I had not set my Warbonnet D rings correctly & they chose that moment to let me know. Still, that got my adrenaline flowing. I just got snuggled back in, still a little pumped after the fear of having to replace my hammock (It's well after midnight by now) & an EXPLOSION shook my hammock! Yea, it actually shook the hammock & then I jumped. Seems the neighbors decided to blow something up about 80 feet from me. I never found out what, but the cops didn't arrest anyone. The ambulance did treat someone for quite a long time, so I suspect one of the kids (Neighbors youngest is about 22, so a "Kid" to me) got hurt, as they were the ones outside at that time.
    I'm old enough to know, what ever blew up was WAY louder than a (now illegal) M80 firework, so I have no idea what it was, but it was BIG!

Yea, it took a while to get to sleep last night. Weird in the middle of town.

Found out this morning what the explosion was: neighbors oldest had friends over & wanted a "campfire" so got out the gasoline can & poured it on some wood, before she had even stopped pouring, a "Friend" lit it, "nearly blowing her hand off" so to speak.

Funny thing peanuts, I was thinking of reaching for my plugs just as I dozed, a few seconds before the explosion. LOL.
    Last edited by Doctari; 03-04-2013 at 04:31.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    man ,do i love ear plugs.....no worries what goes bump in the night
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Another trip, wasn't scary, but pretty cool. Camping with the scouts, about 2 in the morning, a pack of coyotes started howling. Then from the other direction, another answering. I knew that there were coyotes in the area, but had never seen them, or heard them before.....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Another trip, wasn't scary, but pretty cool. Camping with the scouts, about 2 in the morning, a pack of coyotes started howling. Then from the other direction, another answering. I knew that there were coyotes in the area, but had never seen them, or heard them before.....RR
    LukeSteg and I had a smiliar experience during a winter night-hike. They were hootin' and hollerin', was awesome

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast