Hammock
    Stearmliner DL; W.L. bugnet
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Incubator 0*
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I'm glad this thread popped back up. Its been fun reading all these stories again, and the new ones. Anyone who has spent time in the woods has some story to tell. Its one of the things that makes HF so enjoyable for me.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Speer, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    My only scary story. It was early spring in northern MN and it was my first time out solo camping in about 30 years so my mind is pretty active (thinking hungry bears and wolves).

So, I find this campsite along a river when this really thick fog starts rolling in. Now my mind starts racing (bears and wolves, wolves and bears). I figure I need to bring in more wood for the fire, just about the time it starts to get dark. I got about 150 feet from the campsite and had to go into the woods to grab some downed wood. All of the sudden something explodes up into the air about 5 feet from me. A partridge. I nearly fell over backwards trying to backup, until I figured out what it was. But the worst part of the night…it was mating season for the partridge and they kept drumming all around me…every 15 minutes…. ALL NIGHT LONG! Worst night of sleep ever.

Hammock
    Bat Hammock (Mosquito Hammocks)
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    M.H. Ultralamina
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    It will be quite hard to explain my fear with words but this was probably the most terrifying moment I have ever lived through:

I was sleeping in a tent (bad start, I know) on a river bank that was made up of baseball sized rocks. I was awakened from a dream, still not fully alert, by the sound of rocks rustling outside of my tent. As I realized that it was not part of my dream I instantly went into silent-adrenaline-mode as I sat up and rolled onto my knees. The rustle of my sleeping bag made the thing outside of my tent take a few steps and they were HUGE. The rocks sounded like thunder with each step and I felt another surge of adrenaline as I grabbed my knife and SCREAMED at the top of my lungs "GGGEEETTTT TTHHHEEE F**** AWAY FROM MEEE!!!!". The thing outside of my tent was absolutely enormous because when it took off running and jumped into the river it sounded like an elephant was running away from me. I swear, I could have lifted a car I was so pumped with adrenaline. I am guessing it was (probably a deer) a giant man eating sasquatch. And I defeated him.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Was hiking deep in the woods when a tornado came through. I dove under the first downed tree and prayed.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy 10ft 1.4 Poly-D
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hex 12
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I once had to lay perfectly still while a poisonous snake crawled across my back. While I held another guy down and made sure he did not make a sound. Hey, it was work related. I HATE snakes!
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF
    VA-4th Annual NOVA Hang-Nov 6-8 PWFP

Hammock
    DH NightHawk and Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie &amp; Python
    I was in the woods along a small creek w brother in law. First night hammock camping. Brother in law can sleep at the drop of a hat. Setup camp, had a fire going, middle of nowhere and it's dark. Brother in law fell asleep I'm looking around , feeding the fire twigs, when I here something 100 down the creek bed. I put my 150 Luman headlamp on full blast and shine down in the direction and will never forget what I saw. Scared the holy moly out of me. I see two Red eyes. The eyes or the head turns to cross the creek (we were camped on a raised section in the middle. Then as I'm looking I see another set of red eyes look at me and turn towards the other side of the creek. Instantly I say oh crap whatever it or they are the just split up and the are gonna circle in on us. " big rob wake up something's out there and we have about 6 seconds!" He jumps up and I'm thinking "we'll this isn't going to be good" on instinct I square up 1 second from drawing my Glock G23 and going head to head w these creatures. ............. At the absolute pinnacle , maybe holding my breath...... 1/2 second.....I here a bow...row..row.row..coon dog, and it's buddy in the creek barking and happily running up to us to investigate our camp and fire. "Go on now get out of here we said" they had gps collars attached. They went on deeper into the woods hunting. We breathed a sy of relief. That incident scared me but at least I know I was going to face the threat. "Big rob" recounts the story of me getting into a battle stance. Lol. I think back and am grateful that I didn't take down a hunters dogs. (I was only fractions of a second from doing it) I'm not going to lie to you guys I was thinking a pack of wolves or Bigfoot was coming for us! I will never forget the red eyes piercing out of the darkness . I will never go camping without some heat, I don't know how you guys do it. That's my story.
    Last edited by _jstevens2010_; 03-18-2014 at 21:23.

Hammock
    Undecided
    Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    Undecided
    Suspension
    None - Yet
    1st time - Hunting in No. East Oregon for Mule Deer. My brother and I had seen a nice buck that morning on a ridge. We planned an afternoon hunt. We split up as we got close and planned where each would be and when. It was near twilight and I started back. Had not heard anything from my brother. I was 1/2 Mi or so back when I thought I heard something behind me. I froze, turned real slow, not 100' away, slunk real low, was a cougar (mountain lion). I raised up to shoot and it took off. I walked back and its tracks were right on mine for about the length of a football field.

2nd time - On Oregon coast, buddy and I cleared a path early spring through woods and into a gulley. We built a stand in the trees overlooking the gulley. We then went out and started collecting road killed deer. Brought carcass down and tied with rope (Baiting black bear). I went down one afternoon to check and a crashing through the woods towards me was getting louder. I froze. A nice black bear appeared and meandered onto a log that was down over this area. It was then that I started thinking that I was standing directly between the bear and bait. I had my 9mm on me but I was afraid to use it thinking it would just make the bear angry. I started waiving and screaming. It slowly turned and slowly made its way back where it came from, not seeming bothered at all. My only thoughts after was I was way underprepared considering what I was doing.
    Semper Fi

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe/Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park, I had been on the trail for about 3 hours listening to the birds sing and the sound of small animals scurry in the under growth. Then everything went silent. I don't mean things got quiet, I mean dead silent. SPF went to 10. I started walking faster and constantly looking behind me. Never saw anything and after about 30 minutes (it felt like hours) I started to hear birds again. I don't know what caused it but I hope to never experience it again.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Hoochie
    Insulation
    DIY Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok, I'm half way around the world from most of you so you will need a little bit of imagination.

I was at Cape York, in North Queensland. The leather handbags (crocodiles) up there get to 12 feet without a problem, and bigger.
    I have been fishing with the wife near the camp; I have left her on a causeway and ventured a little further downstream. As I am walking over the rock ledges the odd two and three foot Croc scurries away off the hot rocks from its sunbathing and into the water to get away from me. As with most nurseries, there is a mum somewhere around, so I am watching the water very closely.
    So I find a section of creek that looks promising, plenty of fallen trees in the water to give the Barramundi somewhere to hide. I start flicking a lure at the overhangs a few times, then walk a few paces, flick a few more times and then move onto the next tree. All the time my eyes are skimming the water to make sure nothing is watching me from the depths. I walk a bit more through the thickening tree line along the bank; flick the lure under the next submerged trunk, looking out for mum all the time.
    I suppose I should point out at this moment, that if mum wants to have me for dinner all she does is give a strong flick of her tail and sends her body right up the bank, grab me by the legs and slides back and drag my body under the water were she will jam me under the logs I have been fishing until my body rots a bit.
    I have been so interested in casting and watching the water for her, I didn't watch where I was walking, I had edged my way along the bank not realising I was now at a point on the bank that I could not continue any further sideways, and the thick bush behind me had slowly crept from 15 feet from the water now gave me less than 3 feet of bank to stand on, “ohh s*&t” if mum is under the water, I am screwed.
    I have never moved so fast along a wet slippery bank in my life, as I get back to the rock ledge where the young had been, something bigger moved in the water. That was it, called out to the Mrs to find her own way back up to the camp, and don't be too slow about it

4581840-3x2-940x627.jpg

Two years back I had the privilege to spend a few weeks in North East Arnhem Land, Northern territory with the local Aboriginals. We spent time making our own spears, learning the culture, and going out bush with the men of the tribe and the young kids, with our handmade spears hunting.
    One of the trips out, we are walking in a single file of about 12 of us as the scrub was so thick. We had been walking for a few hours without seeing or hearing too much of the local wildlife, when suddenly the young aboriginal kids come running past us, as fast as their little legs would carry them, heading back the way we had just come. As we weaved our way around the scrub and caught up with the front of the line, we looked into a very small clearing. In it we had one young Aboriginal man and one young white man up two different trees with their spears on the ground below them. The third person in the line as it entered the clearing was an older Aboriginal that could not climb fast enough; he was behind a large tree and on the other side of it was a bloody great big full grown water buffalo that had been quite happily eating when the group stumbled across it. Now this creature headed straight for the front of the line, the first two being quick enough to climb leaving the older guy on the other side of the tree from it. But the water buffalo then started to chase the guy around the tree. First to the left, then to the right, then left again, right again, and left again. Then it decides to stand its ground but use its huge horns to keep reaching around the tree trying to gouge the older guy. We walked into the small clearing to see the guys in the trees laughing at the guy on the ground, when the buffalo saw all the human back up walk in on this it made a mad dash through the scrub and disappeared. The aboriginal man was well into his 50’s if not older and lived his whole life in the bush, and it was the first time he had ever been bailed up like that.

pic1.jpg

Scariest moment in the bush was this one, and it was a bloody human that I feared.
    The year before, but with the same Aboriginal mob, a small group of 6 of us had been walking in the scrub along the edge of the mangroves looking for animals for food. The Yolngu men (the Aborigines mob name) have fantastic vision and sense of awareness of what’s around them. Walking in a row he puts up his hand to stop us, and points into the mangroves. There, fast asleep is a feral pig not 10 paces from us. It was enjoying the snooze in the sun so much it didn’t hear us come up on it. And to be honest, even at 10 feet away I have no idea how he spotted it because it took a lot of pointing to see the pig in the bush. We all crouched down, as the only white fella with a rifle works his way to the front on the line. He gets a sight on the pig after again it being pointed out by the Yolngu man. He raises the gun and takes aim, fires, “click” and the cartridge jams. He tries to work the casing out but it will not budge. We take the weight off our knees and sit down as he and a second white fiddle around trying to empty the chamber. All this is going on in absolute silence as the pig is still fast asleep 10 feet from us. After pulling the rifle to bits, and about 6mins of time, the finally get it ready to fire. He stands and leans against a tree to take aim, but cannot see the pig in the scrub, again it’s pointed out to him, “ahh there” he steady’s himself, he aims, he pulls the trigger, and “click” he has the safety on (head smack). Ok, so after realising the safety he takes aim again, steady, gently squeezes the trigger, “BANG” .................. he missed the pig!!!, but now it’s not asleep and takes off in a flash. So the gunman cocks and fires, cocks and fires, cocks and fires, the only problem is the pig has taken off in the direction we have just come from, so as he is aiming and firing the rifle, he is swinging around back over the heads of the rest of us guys sitting on the ground. His last shot got it and flipped the pig clean over its own head. Scared the crap out of us though.
    Must admit, the pig hind legs tasted really nice after being cooked in the ground of a couple of hours.

CIMG0143.JPG

None of the photos are from the events, they are from online to give you an idea of the sizes

Hammock
    HH BE for bugs, DIY for cold
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    Jarbridge or Pad
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bungie View Post
    Scariest moment in the bush was this one, and it was a bloody human that I feared.
    Good one bungie. Great and unique experiences you have had.
    I too have a great respect for wild life, but I fear man (and grizzly bears).
    It was spring time and I was still a youngster (in my late 40's :>) out on a solo trout fishing/hammock camping trip on the Va./West Va. boarder. It was also Spring Gobbler season (turkey).
    I woke up at first light/pre-dawn to see a person outlined by the eastern sky on a ridge/hill top above me very slowly headed my way. A quick shout by me and the guy turned around and quickly departed the area. This didn't really scare me until the next night when I was settling in for the night and thought about it - he was a turkey hunter stalking me in my hammock. I had Orange vests hanging at both ends of the hammock, but I guess the light wasn't enough looking down in the valley or trees were in the way or the fog off the stream impeded the view.
    It's funny how one close call will change the way you look at things you've been successfully doing for many years. That was over 10 years ago and I no longer go on solo fish/camp trips during hunting season; every spring I still go fish camping, but now I stay at a primitive State Campground in the area with 6 to 12 friends - but they are t**t campers. I feel that the turkey hunter is still causing me grief 10+ years later but I do sleep well.
    Enjoying the simple things in life.
    Hennessey and DIY
    2 Seasons: Bug season and too cold for bugs