Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Post made in jest. Actually spent many a night in the backwoods in a tent and have encountered bear on several occassions. They are very intresting animals. Much safer at night in the woods than downtown that's for sure.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bearbaithangin View Post
    Post made in jest. Actually spent many a night in the backwoods in a tent and have encountered bear on several occassions. They are very intresting animals. Much safer at night in the woods than downtown that's for sure.
    Well then, looks like you owe us a scare :>)
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest... So far
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Cheeseburgers
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My scariest moment in the woods is always the moment that I realize that it's time to pack up and go home =(
    "Think Outside the Tent"

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    we were camping at a campground with some other couples when we were young and no kids. Kind of a primitive spot, but there were some other sites nearby. We had been up partying a while when an old beater car came up to our site and these two rednecks got out and just walked over to our fire and started talking to us like we were old friends. Nervous introductions were made. Beers were asked for and given. More partying for a while with our new friends until they started making some inappropriate comments about our wives. Things got uncomfortable quick. We tried to make like we were done for the night and turning in and they wanted to stay around our fire anyway. we asked them to go and they did, but with some grumbling and cusswords that got louder the further off they walked. They left and we resumed, but then they came back and said something from the car like "we ain't good enough for yall" and we said we were just turning in. well we stayed up. They made a few more passes over the next couple of hours. Pretty sure they were looking for some trouble to get into. I don't carry, but that was one time I wish I did.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That's scarier then any animal

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    we were camping at a campground with some other couples when we were young and no kids. Kind of a primitive spot, but there were some other sites nearby. We had been up partying a while when an old beater car came up to our site and these two rednecks got out and just walked over to our fire and started talking to us like we were old friends. Nervous introductions were made. Beers were asked for and given. More partying for a while with our new friends until they started making some inappropriate comments about our wives. Things got uncomfortable quick. We tried to make like we were done for the night and turning in and they wanted to stay around our fire anyway. we asked them to go and they did, but with some grumbling and cusswords that got louder the further off they walked. They left and we resumed, but then they came back and said something from the car like "we ain't good enough for yall" and we said we were just turning in. well we stayed up. They made a few more passes over the next couple of hours. Pretty sure they were looking for some trouble to get into. I don't carry, but that was one time I wish I did.
    And that's the reason I do carry out in the woods...I'm not worried about Mother Nature bothering me, but there are some crazy people out there...

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch hdwe
    My scariest moment was years ago, tent camping at a state park. There was a group of us and we had four tents set up. The park was full. About 2 in the morning we were woken up by an engine roaring and gunning. We were like, man that sounds like it is in the camping area. No way, right? We unzipped and looked out and there was a truck roaring up and down between the tents. Some how he had got through the post and wire. All of a sudden he came spinning around and was headed straight for our friends tent. Just in time he slammed on his brakes and stopped, just a few inches from their tent. He backed up and took off again. He tried to get back through to the road and got his truck hung up on another post and wire and as much as he rocked and gunned he couldn't get loose. The Park rangers came and the police and hauled him away. A lot of folks packed up right then and left they were so scared. The next morning we looked at his tracks were he slammed on the brakes next to our friends tent. Any closer and he would have ran them right over. The story they told the next day was that he was drunk and had a fight with his girlfriend. Lots of lucky folks in the campground that night. People are much scarier than the animals to me.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch hdwe
    Second scariest was two years ago and we were camped in Beaver's Bend State park. We had been kayaking that morning and came back to camp to eat and rest. Just sitting around outside talking. An RV pulled in to one spot, decided they liked the spot next to it better and moved over. Maybe 10 minutes later I heard this loud cracking and jumped up and starting looking because I knew a tree was going to fall. This huge beautiful pine tree fell and landed right across that space that the RV had just pulled out of and it fell right across a tent on down the way. It fell in slow motion and when it hit the ground the entire campground shook. We all went running, scared to death, but fortunately no one was in the tent. They were gone and playing in the river. They had a huge surprise when they got back to the campgrounds to find their flattened tent under a tree. There wasn't any moving that tree. They had to bring in saws and a loader to do it. The tree looked perfectly healthy. It sure made us look at all those trees differently. We were there for another week and it was hard to shake that uneasy feeling when you heard a limb crack or the wind blew because we were right in the big middle of them.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I was camping up on a ridge near the Delaware Water Gap and a porcupine just walked into my campsite. I didn't know if it was diseased or rabid or what. I started screaming like a little girl and waving my arms. The porcupine stopped about five feet away from me and gave me a staredown. He then walked off about 50 feet away and I could see his beady eyes staring at me (from the light of my headlamp) the rest of the night. I don't know how I ever got to sleep that night.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB1.1DL
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    WS
    So I'm deep in the Aussie bush about 2 days walk away from help and I walk over one of these... A brown snake

They say most of the people who die from the bites are the one who step on them.

I didn't even know until my mate behind me started making a commotion and I went back to see what the big deal was.

Let me tell you my eyes were super lazerbeam focused on every bit of ground in front of me after that...

She'll be right mate

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast