Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    While living in Louisiana I took my oldest son on a backpacking trip of the Wild Azalea Trail. We hiked in a short distance the first night and camped beside a creek. That night it started raining and it poured all night long. The next morning that creek that had been in the bottom of a 4' gully was at the edge and was coming over into our campsite. We packed as fast as we could and by the time we got ready to go it was already ankle deep in our camp. We had to wade out through that stuff over what had been a bridge. For me it was up to my thighs, for my son it was over his waste. I was more scared that I was going to lose him than I was for myself. Now we can look back at it and laugh.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    HH UL Expl, Expd, WBBB XL, homemade
    Tarp
    Hex, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HHSS or Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Straps or whoopies
    I've had a few incidents in the wild:

1) whilst camping (I know, sorry) on the eastern edge of the Masai Mara in Kenya, being awoken by the a lion roaring just outside the tent. It's a sound that's so alarming and terror inducing, the reaction it produces must be hard wired into our DNA. I was so glad I had a thin layer on canvas to protect me.

2) hanging on the edge of a beach in Borneo, finding the tracks in the sand of a BIG crocodile that had gone directly underneath my hammock at some point in the night. I moved the hammock up higher for the next night.

3) sleeping in a cave high in the Drakensberg Mountains in South Africa, having a mouse run over my face. Feeling its tiny little cold feet scampering over my forehead, nose and mouth before disappearing into my sleeping bag gets your heart going from rest to 180 bpm in milliseconds and was probably more upsetting than all the above.

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeDangle View Post
    Feeling its tiny little cold feet scampering over my forehead, nose and mouth before disappearing into my sleeping bag gets your heart going from rest to 180 bpm in milliseconds
    LOL. That is so funny, but I understand! One night, long ago in Arizona, I was sleeping under the stars (no hammock, no tent, just a mummy bag) and woke up to something crawling over my face. Of course, the first thing I thought of was a scorpion! Not moving my head an iota, I slowly moved my arm around to the zipper and started to unzip the bag, freezing every time I felt it stop moving. I got the bag undone just as it started to crawl down my chin. Taking a deep breath, I slapped it away, threw the bag open, and jumped away. I had my flashlight on in a second....just in time to see a moth fly leisurely away from the bag.

Felt like a kid scared about the monster under the bed.
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Quote Originally Posted by rjc149 View Post
    Didn't happen to me, but to a summer camp director I had. This wasn't a story she told people often because it actually traumatized her.

She used to go on solo backpacking trips in the Adirondacks, sometimes week long peak bagging trips. She was (is) a 46'er and pretty experienced, she was no damsel in distress when it came to the woods.

She went on one of her typical week-long solo summer trips. The weather was great, she managed to see a lot of wildlife, which isn't too common in the high peaks area. At one point she saw a large black bear, and saw the same bear the next day.

One night, she heard something rustling or trudging outside of her tent. Somewhere out there in the inky black, something was moving. The noise was really stealthy, like whatever it was, it was trying not to be heard. Of course she heard it, and blew her whistle and clanged two cook pots together to scare it off. The noise stopped, and uneasily, she fell asleep, thinking it was the bear she has seen. But the noise it made when walking -- it was too small, too light to be a bear. It would move slowly, then dart quickly, then move slowly, then stop for 5 or so minutes, as if hoping her alarm would pass before moving again... Mountain lion? In the Adirondacks? Maybe something smaller, like a bobcat? It was too small to be a bear, but too heavy to be a bobcat.

The second night, it came pretty close to her tent and it freaked her out a little. Whatever it was, it was bold. She scared it off, blowing her whistle and yelling into the pitch blackness speared by the beam of her flash light. After that night, the rustling stopped. She thought nothing more of it and simply enjoyed herself. The trip went off without a hitch.

She got home, unpacked her things, had a long-awaited shower and a hot meal. It had been a great time, and she remembered why she loved going solo. She followed her own schedule, unaccountable to anyone but herself. Solo is the only way to go, she thought to herself. It was just her and nature. But this time, there was something else.

When she developed the film on her disposable camera, there were several photos of her sleeping inside the tent.

Needless to say, that was the last solo trip she even took.
    that is the scariest to me!!!

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by old creek View Post
    that is the scariest to me!!!
    For real. That story gave me the chills. Did you ever see the pictures?

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjc149 View Post
    Didn't happen to me, but to a summer camp director I had. This wasn't a story she told people often because it actually traumatized her.

She used to go on solo backpacking trips in the Adirondacks, sometimes week long peak bagging trips. She was (is) a 46'er and pretty experienced, she was no damsel in distress when it came to the woods.

She went on one of her typical week-long solo summer trips. The weather was great, she managed to see a lot of wildlife, which isn't too common in the high peaks area. At one point she saw a large black bear, and saw the same bear the next day.

One night, she heard something rustling or trudging outside of her tent. Somewhere out there in the inky black, something was moving. The noise was really stealthy, like whatever it was, it was trying not to be heard. Of course she heard it, and blew her whistle and clanged two cook pots together to scare it off. The noise stopped, and uneasily, she fell asleep, thinking it was the bear she has seen. But the noise it made when walking -- it was too small, too light to be a bear. It would move slowly, then dart quickly, then move slowly, then stop for 5 or so minutes, as if hoping her alarm would pass before moving again... Mountain lion? In the Adirondacks? Maybe something smaller, like a bobcat? It was too small to be a bear, but too heavy to be a bobcat.

The second night, it came pretty close to her tent and it freaked her out a little. Whatever it was, it was bold. She scared it off, blowing her whistle and yelling into the pitch blackness speared by the beam of her flash light. After that night, the rustling stopped. She thought nothing more of it and simply enjoyed herself. The trip went off without a hitch.

She got home, unpacked her things, had a long-awaited shower and a hot meal. It had been a great time, and she remembered why she loved going solo. She followed her own schedule, unaccountable to anyone but herself. Solo is the only way to go, she thought to herself. It was just her and nature. But this time, there was something else.

When she developed the film on her disposable camera, there were several photos of her sleeping inside the tent.

Needless to say, that was the last solo trip she even took.
    That is pretty creepy.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    TX-270, TTTM
    Tarp
    CCS, Vertex
    Insulation
    HG, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    HammockFan &Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    That is pretty creepy.
    Way creepy!

my wife and my friend that I hike, camp and canoe with are both surprised I don't carry any kind of protection with me because of the weight but after reading that I may be leaning their way a bit. I rarely camp at a campsite and purposely camp in places that are hard to navigate and impossible to navigate quietly but I am going to be going to more easily accessed places now that my grandkids are getting big enough to follow and as has been said here many, many times the most dangerous critter out there could very well be the guy who passed you on the trail that afternoon.
    I used to have a little more back bone but since we had a lunatic kill and dismember a woman in the forest near me I can get booered pretty easy, especially since I don't carry anything for self defense other than tooth and nail.

or as Sarge say's " your gonna die." had to say it Sgt Rock, just watched your video on the light weight suspension yesterday, I loved it.

creek

Hammock
    Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    I came back to my hammock at dusk, and I see a pair of legs (jeans) just sitting up in a branch over my hammock. What were they doing - how did they get up there, and why are they just sitting there... watching? "Uh, hello?" No response. Then I smack my forehead and realize I'm freaking myself out with my own laundry I left hanging there.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxleif View Post
    I came back to my hammock at dusk, and I see a pair of legs (jeans) just sitting up in a branch over my hammock. What were they doing - how did they get up there, and why are they just sitting there... watching? "Uh, hello?" No response. Then I smack my forehead and realize I'm freaking myself out with my own laundry I left hanging there.
    I wonder how many people have done that. I did it to myself more than once. one time I really deserved it, I figured I would scare my then new wife. I hung a shirt on the back of a rocking chair in the bed room placed the pants and even put the boots in the legs of the pants, cap on a plant holder behind the chair and everything was set. I got up in the middle of the night heading to the bathroom and nearly had a heart attack and almost didn't need the bathroom. she never saw it and I haven't tried that little trick again.

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast