Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB universal tarp
    Insulation
    Mtn Hardwear bag
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Scariest moment? Just this past weekend.

I was going to set up my hammock and tarp. So I pulled the two olive green stuff sacks out of my pack. One was my mamajamba tarp. The other was my...superfly tarp!!! NOOO!!!!

I will not be making that mistake again, especially when nearly 4 hours from home.
    Did you MacGuyver the superfly into a hammock?

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images

I was going to set up my hammock and tarp. So I pulled the two olive green stuff sacks out of my pack. One was my mamajamba tarp. The other was my...superfly tarp!!! NOOO!!!!

I will not be making that mistake again, especially when nearly 4 hours from home.
    How is it ended ? convert trap to be table cloth hammock ?

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hex's
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco TQ/UQ + sock
    Suspension
    Dutch bling

This is way too much of a good thing.

I see color coding in your future !

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Reminds me of when I forgot my poles once in my pre-hang days. Had a new pack where it didn't attach as well as the std tent rollup pkg typically does, and I separated the poles so I could get the fly, etc. inside the pack. Poles were supposed to go on the side. If there's a good thing about tents, its that I was able to rely on staying in my buddy's 2-man tent instead of bailing on camp. Weather went from perfectly clear in the evening to rain in the a.m., of course.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I went to the Poconos to stay with my neighbor a few days in the mountain house this past summer. Their property ends at a huge public land forest. I decided to camp out there just beyond their property line. About 3 AM or so I heard foot steps, a few grunts and some heavy breathing, then.....an aweful smell. what ever it was it was too close for comfort so i high tailed it back to the house. They were already up in the house because something had paid them a visit as well. After a few minutes of shining our lights around we saw a black blob lumbering through the yard. A rather large black bear was snooping around. The next day I walked out to get my gear and found bear tracks about 10 feet or so from my camp. The bear didn't seem agitated or aggressive. Just snooping around looking for food i guess, but it sure scared the crud out of me.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    This is way too much of a good thing.

I see color coding in your future !
    Definitely! I don't want to change the sacks since I like them, but I will be using a sharpie to color the cord locks, or something! Blackbird, Traveler, Mamajamba, and Superfly all nearly identical!

I ended up driving 45 minutes to the nearest town. Overpaid for a hammock at the sporting goods shop, but it worked out. I was already $50 worth of gas into it, plus the mileage, beyond the point of no return

Hammock
    WBBB & HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    SF, HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3,EERevX20
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie Sling
    Back in early May, I was on AT, hanging across trail from Silars Bald Shelter around 11:30 PM. I chose to sleep outside of shelter, as the others were having a "safety meeting" in the shelter. Laying in my WBBB under my HG Cuben fiber tarp with doors, I heard somethings coming through the woods, and heard small branches or sticks cracking, then it continued to come closer and closer. I figured it to be a deer at best or a bear at worst. As it continued to sound closer and closer, I started to get concerned...what if this was a bear. I had heard someone got attacked about 3-4 miles away weeks earlier. I decided to ramp up the volume on my iPhone to 100% and cued up Van Halen's intro to Poundcake...a very shrill sort of electric drill sound (big Van Halen fan). Almost immediately, I heard a heart-stopping deep roar/growl sound, that seemed unmistakenly bear-like, and the animal retreated to the woods. (I gathered up my gear and fled to the shelter.) A few weeks after I got back, there was a newspaper and TV report from that same area, where a 16 yo boy was pulled from his hammock by a bear. He was saved by his dad, who fought the bear off. They eventually found the bear and killed it. While I can't be positive, I am all but 100% sure that Eddie Van Halen saved my life that night. -True story. From now on, perhaps in addition to bear spray, which would have been of questionable value while in my WBBB, I will bring a small compressed air boat horn with me when in such areas. Memorable.
    J3

"No Matter where you go, there you are." -B. Banzai
    -Crede quod habes et habes-

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    I've
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJackJim View Post
    Back in early May, I was on AT, hanging across trail from Silars Bald Shelter around 11:30 PM. I chose to sleep outside of shelter, as the others were having a "safety meeting" in the shelter. Laying in my WBBB under my HG Cuben fiber tarp with doors, I heard somethings coming through the woods, and heard small branches or sticks cracking, then it continued to come closer and closer. I figured it to be a deer at best or a bear at worst. As it continued to sound closer and closer, I started to get concerned...what if this was a bear. I had heard someone got attacked about 3-4 miles away weeks earlier. I decided to ramp up the volume on my iPhone to 100% and cued up Van Halen's intro to Poundcake...a very shrill sort of electric drill sound (big Van Halen fan). Almost immediately, I heard a heart-stopping deep roar/growl sound, that seemed unmistakenly bear-like, and the animal retreated to the woods. (I gathered up my gear and fled to the shelter.) A few weeks after I got back, there was a newspaper and TV report from that same area, where a 16 yo boy was pulled from his hammock by a bear. He was saved by his dad, who fought the bear off. They eventually found the bear and killed it. While I can't be positive, I am all but 100% sure that Eddie Van Halen saved my life that night. -True story. From now on, perhaps in addition to bear spray, which would have been of questionable value while in my WBBB, I will bring a small compressed air boat horn with me when in such areas. Memorable.
    I've read other reports where those air horns are better than the spray plus you could use it for a emergency sound signal. Dual purpose!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    You really cannot imagine how much noise this little device makes-so much better than a whistle.It has a rubber ballon sort of diaphragm in it that could be punctured if you were careless enough so I carry the whistle still but if I needed to make some noise this little air horn is IT!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d-games&sr=1-2

Hammock
    WBBB & HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    SF, HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3,EERevX20
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie Sling
    Ok. I'm easy. Just ordered my 6 airblasters from Amazon
    J3

"No Matter where you go, there you are." -B. Banzai