Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Was hiking and not three feet from me a bush starting hissing and growling at me than a mountain lion dashed out and luckily ran the other direction.

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Up in the deep Arctic, in Alaska for a Caribou hunt. Next morning walking down a river stream. With .45-70 cal slung across my back. .45 cal long colt Loaded HOT. on hip. Found some small bear prints leading up to a Tundra shelf. Cool, heading that way anyway's. following the small bear tracks. cleared the top edge, when I see a flash to my left. Hmm.. fox, wolf, furry creature??.. moved on.. walked another 4 paces. When Looking up seeing a blur of Fur heading my way. OH SCAT!!.. ( had issues with my .45 long colt needs help rotating the cylinders) Started to grab My .45-70 Dummy me.. it was cross slung. BAD. Then went for my .45 long colt Un- holstered, drew down on this 300-400 Griz wanting to make me hamburger.. Cocking hammer back.. going for the trigger, and doing the distance before I can fire. 20 feet was my Kill zone. With the paper work Pile in my mind.. Getting ready to pull trigger, a flash of the small bear prints.. MOMMY BEAR!!.. With in seconds.. She Diverted her charge into the brush. Same spot baby bear was at early on.. lesson learned, do not follow small bear tracks & cross sling your Primary Rifle!!.

Camping here locally.. for a SAR dog test. We had camped, had normal time. Cooking, eating snacks all that. Before bed, I did a extra step of locking the totes. 6 am, hear a THWACK THUMP.. Roll in my sleeping bag look up with glassy eyes's, seeing a dark object. Ah.. just making coffee and dropped the camp stove. Start to roll back, when I hear buddy yell.. GET OUT!! get!! get!!.. ugh.. Look again, clearing my eye's.. OH scat.. BA'AR!!! Grab pistol from under my Sleeping bag, making all sorts of noise. Using what learned from dealing with bears. Well, that did not go so well. Mr.Black bear ( young), had on his mind humans are part of the food chain Or source of food. Thing started to Fuzz up, get stiff legged with ears & head slowly dropping as its Pivoting towards me. ( DING, RED ALERT RED ALERT!! Charge Attack is coming). Dble tapped on either side, Got the message.. but slowly walks off.. THIS IS NOT GOOD!!!.. yelling to buddy grab shooter and Get ready to shoot... I tossed rock at bear. as rock hit, fired off 2 more rounds near. Bear walks off... I am standing just my under shorts. ( bear was killed two day's later in town!. was problem bear. Flat out dangerous bear!!).. a gun in camp change that outcome!.

Bumped into a cougar.. It spotted me first.. and was in spot I would have to walk past. 23 yards to be exact!!. I drew on it, was going to fire.. but Questioned my range.. Thus did not fire.. unless cat showed more aggression. It fled, in eery silence.

Moose, went White eye'ed towards me in my zodiac. Love the 25 HP jet.. Throttle up POOF gone.. Moose, thought thick brush was good place to hide..

Sorry no Mythical Bigfoot or UFO's.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Scariest Moment in the Woods?

Chug just listed my biggest wilderness fears: moose, mountain lion, bear, momma bear.

Only one he missed is banjos.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    MOSQUITO HAMMOCK (jungle hammock)
    Tarp
    Jungle hammock fly
    Insulation
    working on it...?
    Suspension
    nylon web
    It was my first trip to Alaska to visit my dad. I was there for 2 weeks fishing. and for some of that time my dad had to work. So I would get on the four wheeler and go exploring. Dad told me never to go anywhere without a gun. The problem was that the only gun available that day was the 22-250. Just enough gun to really make a grizzly mad. But being the invincible 19 year old that I was...
    Anyway. I had been riding along the dirt "road" for a while, making my way toward the river when I spotted some tracks running along the edge of the road. I continued to follow them until they dropped of the side and ran down to the rivers edge. I shut off the four wheeler and followed on foot, forgetting the rifle and focusing only on getting a good picture of a grizzly track. Well I found exactly what I wanted. Right next to a small puddle of water was an excellent print. Perfect right down to the claw marks. I placed my size 11 boot next to the print for scale, took the picture, and was amazed that the track extended 4" past the end of my boot. I then realized that the water from the puddle was still seeping into the grizzly track! I was maybe 10 feet from thick underbrush, and I could feel the hair raise on the back of my neck. Needless to say, I evacuated the area in a hurry. Later that day my dad told me that the Wildlife dept. had flown over the area and counted 200+ grizzlies along a 3 mile stretch of the river.
    I must say there is no place quite like an Alaskan river during a salmon run.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjhoyle View Post
    It was my first trip to Alaska to visit my dad. I was there for 2 weeks fishing. and for some of that time my dad had to work. So I would get on the four wheeler and go exploring. Dad told me never to go anywhere without a gun. The problem was that the only gun available that day was the 22-250. Just enough gun to really make a grizzly mad. But being the invincible 19 year old that I was...
    Anyway. I had been riding along the dirt "road" for a while, making my way toward the river when I spotted some tracks running along the edge of the road. I continued to follow them until they dropped of the side and ran down to the rivers edge. I shut off the four wheeler and followed on foot, forgetting the rifle and focusing only on getting a good picture of a grizzly track. Well I found exactly what I wanted. Right next to a small puddle of water was an excellent print. Perfect right down to the claw marks. I placed my size 11 boot next to the print for scale, took the picture, and was amazed that the track extended 4" past the end of my boot. I then realized that the water from the puddle was still seeping into the grizzly track! I was maybe 10 feet from thick underbrush, and I could feel the hair raise on the back of my neck. Needless to say, I evacuated the area in a hurry. Later that day my dad told me that the Wildlife dept. had flown over the area and counted 200+ grizzlies along a 3 mile stretch of the river.
    I must say there is no place quite like an Alaskan river during a salmon run.
    My first thought: Now you know what your lunch feels like just before you open the container. Thankfully your container didn't get opened.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Scariest moment at the time: I was hiking along in Ocala National Forest, on my first long solo hike. I ducked under a deadfall and stood up into a banana spider web. Now, those things aren't particularly venomous or aggressive...but they set traps for hikers, right at head height. So, I straighten up and have this hanging from the brim of my hat, two inches from my eyes!:

Scariest moment afterward: I was--again--hiking in ONF, this time seeing if I could cover thirty miles in a day. Well, being stupid, I didn't pack enough water to cross Farles' Prairie. I started to suffer from heat exhaustion, given the 90*+ temperatures and lack of water. I ran out of water approximately 3 miles (an hour) from the next water source. By the time I reached Farles Lake (the next water source), I had stopped sweating. That's a really bad sign of heat illness. I almost puked on the side of the trail, from my internal thermostat going haywire. At the time, I was just miserable. Looking back on it, though, it could've been the end of me, had I not soldiered on. Lesson learned: carry enough water!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    One time, I thought I'd forgotten to pack the coffee - bloody petrifying until I found it in my cousin's pack.
    I can relate to this:>)

I came up on a mother black bear and 3 cubs in heavy brush. The cubs ran right past me and climbed a tree 3 feet from me. Mommy got all puffy on me so I backed away as fast as I could.

While my wife and I were sitting at a picnic table cooking hamburgers at Asseteague National Park, a herd of wild horses (6 or 7) charge at us, grabbed a loaf of bread off the table and ran about 100 yards and ate the bread. They knew what they were doing:>)
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Have written this story before.

While camping with my family in the Smokies (1962) a MotherBear and her 3 cubs visited the campground frequently.

One night our family returned to the campground around ten. All was quiet and very dark.
    My father and the boys were in their tent.

My mother, sister and I headed for the latrine, a long distance away. Halfway there we heard MotherBear, then saw her about 40' - 50' away.
    Mother decided to return to our site; tell Dad and keep my four year old brother from walking out of the tent.

The unexpected movement of three humans turning around disturbed MotherBear.
    She made a sound that sent the cubs up a tree. Then she charged.

We stopped. I stretched out my arms to protect my Mother and sister.
    MotherBear was charging . . . fast. Space closing. Expected to feel her claws in my flesh.

My Mother made a loud sound : a sound she never made before or since. Perhaps it could be called a bark.
    MotherBear stopped in her tracks ! Was it 12' or 10' or 5' ? I do not know.
    She had stopped her charge, looked at us a few moments, turned, called down her cubs and walked away.

We stood there shaking. Trying to understand what had happened.
    ( For the sixteen year old I was, it was a life defining moment : knowing I had stood to protect my family. )

A man appeared out of the darkness, a hunter, and he explained what had happened.

MotherBear understood our actions : defensive, not threatening. MotherBear stopped her charge because she understood
    that the loud, one note sound my Mother made was the same mother language she had used.

hammock memory : the next day at the same campsite.
    The rest of the family went on a hike. I stayed at the site, reading and took a nap in the hammock.
    I was wakened by a fairly gentle bump, thought it was one of my brothers teasing.
    I opened my eyes as the back of a bear moved away from the hammock.
    I felt no fear; there was an overwhelming good sense of being part of wild nature.

G
    Last edited by G...Hawk; 02-21-2013 at 16:50.
    trailname : Distracted By Stone

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Still sleeping in the ground at the time and didn't really understand how little woodsmanship my hiking partner had, I let him talk me into camping on a ridge top that was flat enough to show signs that water regularly washed over it in the rain. It's a clear day and I'm thinking he knows at least as much as me and he wouldn't try to talk me into anything stupid, would he? Well, he would and in this case, it was one of those storms that had the local old folks saying things like (use your best mountain accent when you read this) "dang, if that wasn't the worst storm since the barn and cows got blowed over the cliff back in '32".

Lighting was flashing all around, the ground was shaking, my tent blew down. (I, at least, had found a place out of the drainage path.) My partner's tent got flooded as water washed over the lip of his tent floor.

For a while I prayed to live. After what seemed like hours, I started praying for a direct lighting strike to put me out of my misery.

After the storm passed we got to stand around in the dark, waiting for enough light to collect our soggy gear and hike out. Sometimes, you're just going to get caught out in nasty weather, but that along with a poor choice of a camp site and without enough experience to "bomb-proof" you set-up, can lead to a near-death experience.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    BW webbing
    Deep in the woods I have never had any unpleasant moments, other than packing during lightning storms. But one night I was hanging at a vintage motorcycle rally and some middle age adolescents were overindulging in there adult beverage's. Very close to my camp I hear in a much louder yell than all the other boystress BS that has been going on. ( I AM GOINT TO KILL YOU YOU MOTHER ******) at that time there was lots of crashing and grunting for a few moments. At which time I found my ear plugs I wear while riding installed them deep into my ear canals and drifted off to a rather peaceful sleep the rest of the night. There was no blood stains all over the ground the next morning so I guess they worked it all out.
    Other than that, I do get a little nervous to be exploring an abandoned road or some old trail and ride into a hemp plot or get a whiff of nasty smelling chemicals around a broken down building a sure sign some scumb bag is cooking meth.
    Life was so much simpler when it was just some good ole boys cooking sower mash.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast