ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Scariest Moment in the Woods?

Hairbear's post about the strange sounds got me thinking about this and I was wondering what is your scariest encounters in nature? Mine would be last summer when I was fly fishing near the Upper Chattahoochee Campground. Me and a friend had gone way down river and were deep in the woods, when a wild hog/sow busted out of the bushes, squealing like crazy, from no less than five feet away. It chased us into to river where we got to deeper water out of its reach. It stood there and grunted at us before trotting back into the woods. Turned out we had separated it from its piglets and it was defending them. We saw it lead about twelve of its piglets across the river downstream from us before heading up the other side of the mountain.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Porcupine came in the campsite & really unnerved me one night - bold and a lot bigger than I remembered. He just walked right into my camp. After I scared him off he watched me from about 50 ft. away. I could see his beady red eyes staring at me for about an hour.

Imagine having a porcupine brush up against the bottom of your hammock. That's the stuff of nightmares.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 02-18-2013 at 00:06.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Had a bear charge me all of a sudden like out of the bush ,,,adrenalin rush of the year.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I've had a few up close encounters with bears, but nothing where they have been aggressive towards me like that!
    Last edited by TheGorge; 02-18-2013 at 00:34.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Camping on the Kancamagus Highway in NH in 1972. It was the first night of a four day hike and I was sleeping under a picnic table using a painters drop cloth as cover with my pack setting on the ground outside. It was an M1942 Mountain Rucksack with a cast iron frame (aluminum was a strategic material in 1942 and it went to airplanes, not packs). It was loaded down with four days food (back then it was mostly canned food), so was likley at least 40# and probably more. I hear the pack being dragged across the ground.

After I got my heart started back up, I gave a shout and made a lot of noise getting out from under the table. Something had gotten in it and had run off with a loaf of bread. I cinch the pack back up and put it under the drop cloth on the seat of the picnic table and tried to go back to sleep, but every small noise I heard suddenly seemed like Sasquatch coming down the hill with blood in his eye.

About 10 minutes pass and I've gotten myself under control, when all of a sudden it feels like something is walking on my sleeping bag. I'm side sleeping in a semi-fetal postion and this thing curls up behind me right where my knees are bent. I've got no idea what the durnting is and I am frightened devoid of feces but muster up enough courage to flex my knees inward sharply and what ever it was left the area.

I finally got to sleep as I'd hiked a long way that day and when I woke up I thought I might have imagined the whole thing. Until I saw six or seven dusty racoon paw prints on my sleeping bag.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl,DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    phoenix 20F
    Suspension
    webbing&dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Camping on the Kancamagus Highway in NH in 1972. It was the first night of a four day hike and I was sleeping under a picnic table using a painters drop cloth as cover with my pack setting on the ground outside. It was an M1942 Mountain Rucksack with a cast iron frame (aluminum was a strategic material in 1942 and it went to airplanes, not packs). It was loaded down with four days food (back then it was mostly canned food), so was likley at least 40# and probably more. I hear the pack being dragged across the ground.

After I got my heart started back up, I gave a shout and made a lot of noise getting out from under the table. Something had gotten in it and had run off with a loaf of bread. I cinch the pack back up and put it under the drop cloth on the seat of the picnic table and tried to go back to sleep, but every small noise I heard suddenly seemed like Sasquatch coming down the hill with blood in his eye.

About 10 minutes pass and I've gotten myself under control, when all of a sudden it feels like something is walking on my sleeping bag. I'm side sleeping in a semi-fetal postion and this thing curls up behind me right where my knees are bent. I've got no idea what the durnting is and I am frightened devoid of feces but muster up enough courage to flex my knees inward sharply and what ever it was left the area.

I finally got to sleep as I'd hiked a long way that day and when I woke up I thought I might have imagined the whole thing. Until I saw six or seven dusty racoon paw prints on my sleeping bag.
    You were "spooned" by a raccoon

Too funny I just snorted the cider I was drinking out my nose...

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Duck hunting at a lake, when my mate decided to shoot a duck that was 3 meters in front of me with his shot gun from 30 meters away...my camouflage was perhaps too good that day, and we decided to get ourselves a VHF set from that time on....that was also the last time we wore ghillie suits while hunting, lol. We were young and straight out of our army national service so the Rambo factor was a tad high...

Fishing at same lake, standing on a small peninsula, no retreat possible, when A bull moose decides to join me...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    One time, I thought I'd forgotten to pack the coffee - bloody petrifying until I found it in my cousin's pack.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok Tarp
    Insulation
    TR Basecamp AF LW
    Suspension
    Amok system
    I've had nothing too terribly dramatic so far, however the one moment where I thought that my heart stopped for a few beats was when I somehow managed to climb up a tree while hunting without spooking a turkey that was roosting a few feet above the tree stand. Just after sunrise all I hear are what sounded to me like drumbeats just over my head and if it were not for the safety belt being super tight, I might have went over the side! That darn bird never made a noise until it took off and my what a racket they can make with just their wings when they fly!

Hammock
    1.1 DOUBLE WBBB
    Tarp
    EDGE
    Suspension
    webbing
    forgot and left a pack of gum in my tent camping next to a river while on a fly fishing trip, woke up at 1am to the sound of heavy breathing outside of the tent...when it got to the point I thought the bear was going to attempt to come inside i yelled get out of here and it backed off a ways then took off

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast