Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    While replacing the deck at the cabin a few years back, I kept getting woke up by a blood curdling scream from up in the mountain. With my heart pounding and my mind going through tactics of how I was going to rescue this woman, the scream would seamlessly transition into an bull elk bugle. It went on for quite some time, and even though I new it was an elk, every bugle had me questioning my sanity.

Just imagine...
    Climbing out of bed and up a 30-40 degree slope (i'm tellin' you, it's freakin' steap!) in the dark with my gun, while trying to track down screams that make your imagination go place it shouldn't have to...........not on my list of things to do at 3a.m.....or anytime for that matter.
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling
    I lived in Guam for 3 years and hiked almost every trail there. We were hiking in an uninhabited area of the island's east side doing some spelunking one day. We were looking for the last of three caves systems we had set out to explore. Moving through the thick brush I saw what looked like the entrance to a cave that was in the same area marked on the map. We started moving towards the opening when a loud shuffling broke out in the cave. All of a sudden three baby hogs ran squealing out and I knew what was about to follow. I immediately started stepping back and here comes momma making a charge right at me. I had only a knife on me and had no time to run so I continued backing up hoping she would turn and she did about 10' from me. Once the babies were safe she cut into the brush. Gave me a good scare.

The other time I was hiking in the limestone forest in Guam as well and came across a leafy patch in the limestone. As I'm walking through the ground in front of me moves in a big mass suddenly. A 4-5' monitor lizard was inches in front of me. It wasn't sure if I had seen it I think because it nestled back into the leaves and didn't move a muscle. I backed off a bit and took the opportunity to photograph it. It got comfortable with me after a few minutes, stood up and wandered into the woods. Had one jump out of tree once as well as I passed under it and scared me to death. It ran off through the tall grass making the grass look like raptors were running through it like in Jurassic Park haha.
    -VagrantSalt
    www.jagphotostudio.com

"When from our better selves we have too long been parted by the hurrying world, and droop. Sick of its business, of its pleasures tired, how gracious, how benign in solitude." -William Wordsworth

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym
    Suspension
    Straps
    Scariest night I ever had was camping near Sudbury, ON. Big storm hit the area. We were in a tent, and could tell it was a ridiculous storm... thunder, lightning, hail, crazy wind. It was deafening. We didn't realize how bad it really was until we went out in the morning, and it turned out a tornado had come through the area, trees were down everywhere, and one person had a tree land on them (they were ok in general but were still taken to hospital).

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I was on a solo kayak fishing float on a warm water small mouth river... got my crank bait hung on a log and paddled up to the log to reach for it with my hand. About the time I grabbed the lure, I realized a large cotton mouth was stretched out on the log. He saw my hand about the same time I saw him - was only about 8 inches from my hand.

I did such an extreme reflex jump that I ended up in the water... the snake eneded up in the water as well after the commotion. Didn't take me long to get back into the boat!

After my heart rate settled down, I realized that I was a solid 4 hour paddle to the nearest help - would have been a really bad place for a snake bite.

I've always closely inspected logs and branches before getting close ever since.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Family camping in Halsey forest and my Godfather thought it was funny to wear a werewolf mask and wake us kids up by ripping the tent down. Ya, still not funny!

Slo -A long time ago when I was about 12, a neighbor and I spent the night in a detached garage in our neighborhood. It was the proverbial dark and stormy night and when screech owl started calling in a dead tree beside the garage, it definitely got our attention, since neither of us had heard one before. Listen to the recording at Shewie's post.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Scariest moment at the time: I was hiking along in Ocala National Forest, on my first long solo hike. I ducked under a deadfall and stood up into a banana spider web. Now, those things aren't particularly venomous or aggressive...but they set traps for hikers, right at head height. So, I straighten up and have this hanging from the brim of my hat, two inches from my eyes!:

Scariest moment afterward: I was--again--hiking in ONF, this time seeing if I could cover thirty miles in a day. Well, being stupid, I didn't pack enough water to cross Farles' Prairie. I started to suffer from heat exhaustion, given the 90*+ temperatures and lack of water. I ran out of water approximately 3 miles (an hour) from the next water source. By the time I reached Farles Lake (the next water source), I had stopped sweating. That's a really bad sign of heat illness. I almost puked on the side of the trail, from my internal thermostat going haywire. At the time, I was just miserable. Looking back on it, though, it could've been the end of me, had I not soldiered on. Lesson learned: carry enough water!
    That picture and story reminded me of my time in Panama as a military working dog handler. Me and another handler were chasing two guys who had just robbed a house through the jungle. We were on parallel trails trying to get close enough to them to let the dogs go.....pitch dark....breaking through spider webs the whole time...but not thinking about it since I was focused on the task at hand. The guy I was chasing cut into the thick stuff so me and my dog went in after but lost him. A lot of the time those guys would get in the thick jungle, just stand still and we would go right past them. Dummy here wasn't having any of that so I pull out my flashlight to see if I could find him. Bad idea. Those big ole banana spiders were EVERYWHERE and not only did I lose the guy I was chasing but I had to walk the gauntlet to get back out of there. Lesson learned. No lights in the jungle. Just take whatever you run into and drive on. If something gets its teeth into you; hope the ambulance gets there on time.

Jay

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jayf124 View Post
    That picture and story reminded me of my time in Panama as a military working dog handler. Me and another handler were chasing two guys who had just robbed a house through the jungle. We were on parallel trails trying to get close enough to them to let the dogs go.....pitch dark....breaking through spider webs the whole time...but not thinking about it since I was focused on the task at hand. The guy I was chasing cut into the thick stuff so me and my dog went in after but lost him. A lot of the time those guys would get in the thick jungle, just stand still and we would go right past them. Dummy here wasn't having any of that so I pull out my flashlight to see if I could find him. Bad idea. Those big ole banana spiders were EVERYWHERE and not only did I lose the guy I was chasing but I had to walk the gauntlet to get back out of there. Lesson learned. No lights in the jungle. Just take whatever you run into and drive on. If something gets its teeth into you; hope the ambulance gets there on time.

Jay
    I hear you...any time other than deep "winter" down here, I have trouble trail running due to those suckers. I'll literally walk a two or three mile section of trail and knock down all of the webs before trying to run it. It makes my trail run a "day off"-only thing. And hiking? Well, there's a reason I started carrying hiking poles...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

My girlfriend and I were hiking in Sequoia NP, and as we were walking around a slow left turn and looking at the view on the right we walked right up on a bear. We were less than ten feet from it when we saw it which wasn't the scary part. The scary part was once it saw us it turned and trundled a few feet farther away and then stopped, turned and stared us down for a second. After a minute it turned a walked away, which was quite a relief. But maybe I was more startled than scared, he didn't seem too aggressive.
    ...To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Camo SuperFly
    Insulation
    Yeti underquilt
    Suspension
    Straps
    OK, not really scary but, I had just arrived and started setting up camp. Sat down to rest a bit before really getting started. Got the feeling someone was looking at me. I looked all around but couldn't lose the feeling. For an hour, I would work a bit and search a bit, trying to surprise and discover whoever was spying on me. I could just feel those eyes boring into me. I finally glanced up at just the right place and there was an owl sitting on a limb not 20 feet away. I had started to get spooked before I spotted my companion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast