Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls

Video/info desribing ultralight sleep system/clothing down to freezing?

I'm trying to figure out how to compliment my top and bottom quilt set up for temps down to a bit below freezing. Assume mild wind and no rain. (I understand this assumption will ruffle some feathers here, but that's another subject. And I can delay the trip according to the weather forecast).

It will be three days/ two nights of backpacking and pretty hard hiking so weight is definitely an issue. I've tried to find videos/descriptions about this but so far I've found things for seriously cold/bad weather conditions, for summer conditions, for car campers or short hikes, for tent weirdos, etc. that don't quite match what I'm looking for.

In other words, when hammock quilts are described as 20F, what is assumed about sleep clothes that go along with them? It's a big variable. I'd like to see, given a TQ/UQ setup, how my sleep clothes match up with what others do for my temp range. Can you stretch your system by just wearing two pairs of pajams/long johns, or by other means?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by goober; 12-09-2017 at 11:18.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    that's such a personal thing, it'd be almost impossible to say "XXXXX is the perfect compliment to a 20 degree quilt"

like personally, if I'm going to sleep outside tonight (-3 to -10ish) I'm wearing wool socks, a layer of regular old long underwear and long sleeve t shirt. I'd also have another layer of fleece available (sweat pants and a bunny hug )

I'm also carrying a soft water bottle that I'd put hot water in and toss it in the footbox about 5 minutes before I get into the hammock

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't try to "supplement" insulation - I end up colder than I would be buck naked. I don't want my perspiration caught up in layers of clothing. Down does a great job of wicking the moisture away from the body.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Yes, as Tikker states the is a personal thing and varies from person to person and whether you are a cold sleeper vs a warm sleeper. The only way to know what works for you is to simulate as close as you can and that typically means heading to the back yard and test in the conditions you are going to encounter. Add to that all the environmental elements that change on hikes as well as how you are feeling physically and it make these types of questions hard to answer. Personally I'm a cold sleeper and my rule of thumb is I never intend to take my quilt sets any close than 5-10 degrees of their rating thus building in some cushion for the personal and environmental factors. There have been many who push the limits and have no issues and other that push the limits and are still alive but didn't sleep well thus exacerbating the next days hike and starting a downward spiral of feeling out of energy and sluggish. So many may say just throw more cloths on, or use your down jacket, or use a hot water bottle and while all of these work the most simple solution is to take a warmer quilt if you have one. If you do not then by all means take extra cloths, socks, shirts, pants, and use that coat and hot water bottle. The good thing is that you won't die and at worse have a sleepless night and feel like crap the next day

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goober View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how to compliment my top and bottom quilt set up for temps down to a bit below freezing. Assume mild wind and no rain. (I understand this assumption will ruffle some feathers here, but that's another subject. And I can delay the trip according to the weather forecast).

It will be three days/ two nights of backpacking and pretty hard hiking so weight is definitely an issue. I've tried to find videos/descriptions about this but so far I've found things for seriously cold/bad weather conditions, for summer conditions, for car campers or short hikes, for tent weirdos, etc. that don't quite match what I'm looking for.

In other words, when hammock quilts are described as 20F, what is assumed about sleep clothes that go along with them? It's a big variable. I'd like to see, given a TQ/UQ setup, how my sleep clothes match up with what others do for my temp range.

Thanks in advance.
    Good point.

I am looking forward to the responses.

i use base layer 150 merino and thick possum socks down to 35-40° with 20° insulation

I also use a partial UQ so I supplement with Thermawrest trail pad for feet, Dutch sit pad for head, & JRB summer quilt liner.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 12-09-2017 at 17:43.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    As an added point if your insulation is some of the high quality from our cottage vendors they are typically rated very conservatively. Last winter I slept very warm at 12° in my 0° LocoLibre top quilt and 0° Lynx under quilt and slept in light weight REI long underwear and a short sleeve 150 weight smart wool shirt and wool socks. I ended up having to take the socks off during the night because I was getting too warm. So a lot of it depends on the quality of your insulation as well.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I take a light set of long johns. I may wear a hoodie I’m already carrying to add some warmth to my head.

Add a couple hand warmers to your pack for night time. And the hot water bottle trick helps with little additional weight penalty. I usually carry a large ziplock to go around the bottle for insurance.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Video/info desribing ultralight sleep system/clothing down to freezing?

No wet or damp clothes for sleeping
    LOOSE wool socks
    Toboggan
    Wear warm comfortable clothes but not so much you sweat--then you will be cold
    I might not wear a bulky coat for sleeping but might cover up with overcoat under top quilt and I'll be comfortable and if over heating can remove without getting up.
    That said I need to be sure top and bottom quilts are up to snuff.

It's easier to push a quilt or blanket to the side than remove two sets of long johns, when the inner pair is damp from sweat and then putting back on the outer pair?
    Good luck stay warm and know stuff happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 12-09-2017 at 17:09.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't try to "supplement" insulation - I end up colder than I would be buck naked. I don't want my perspiration caught up in layers of clothing. Down does a great job of wicking the moisture away from the body.
    +1

When sleeping in my hammock I wear a pair of Darn Tough micro crew socks, a polyester shirt, and polyester shorts (or just in ExOfficio when I forget my shorts ), and some sort of head beanie. It makes for a very comfortable set up (nice feeling and loose material for the shirt and shorts), it's pretty lightweight/packable, and I have stayed completely warm between the down quilts (20° UQ and 40° TQ) with the temps down to 33 (coldest temp I have tried since beginning hammocking this year).

Sure it might make the nature calls a little on the chilly side (as I do not dress up to go out) but it makes you appreciate your down all the more as you enter back into your hammock!
    Last edited by mirrorslap; 12-09-2017 at 17:18.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Test your set up under controlled conditions like your back yard to find out what works and what doesn't. On several occasions when testing in the back yard I have ended up going inside after I found out the setup I was testing did not work as I thought it would. Better to happen in the back yard than miles out on the trail with no place to go. Right now I know which of my gear combinations is good down to 9 degrees ( fahrenheit ) which is only 4 degrees warmer that the record low for our area ( I know that is not very cold compared to many areas but one has to work with what one has ).

Layering clothes as long as they are not tight and cut off circulation which will make you colder.

A sock can help keep the wind from stealing the warmth from your rig ( just be sure to keep partially open for ventilation.

I like to use hand warmers in my front pants pockets as that puts them over / near the groin area where some major blood vessels travel.

If using a 3/4 length UQ many people will use a small pad in the foot pad to rest ones feet on. I like to throw my jacket down at the foot end and rest my feet on top of the jacket.

Eat a candy bar and or energy bar before going to bed.

When its going to be below freezing I take a poncho liner to wrap loosely around my head for insulation ( I can never get those baklavas to stay on ) leaving an area to breath thru.

I try not to drink anything before going to sleep to reduce the need to get up in the middle of the night.

Take a thermometer so you will know just how cold it really got.

Have a back up plan.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast