Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    About 3 years ago, I was backpacking the Lake Shore Trail in Lake Superior Provincial Park. Second day out I need to cross the Sand River Bridge, so I hiked up to the highway as opposed to hiking in the sand. I noticed a van pulled off on the shoulder of the road with it's hazards on. As I got close to the Van it took off, leaving 3 Black Bears feasting on bread slices and marshmallows. This is early morning middle of nowhere just me and 3 bears. The bears where looking at me like "Now what do you have to eat". I did then the only thing I could do, just kept hiking while looking over my shoulder.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    A looong time ago, my best friend and I decided we would go camping for the weekend in the middle of winter. We were young and stupid. Too stupid in fact, to check the weather first. There was already about a foot of snow on the ground and the skies in Pennsylvania are always grey in the winter anyway, so we didn't think anything about the sky getting dark and grey. That night (in our canvas Wenzel pup tent and cotton batting sleeping bags) we got a sleet storm. Starting about 2 or 3 in the morning - the trees started exploding! I had never even heard of such a thing. In the loud din of the whirling winds and sleet coating our tent there would be a bang like a grenade and the sound of a tree falling and the tinkle of breaking glass as the ice covered branches and twigs broke.
    The next morning the sun was out clear and bright and we were in a beautiful ice-coated mystical winter wonderland. With trees exploding around us. I was never really 'scared' because if a tree fell on us and killed us - well, che sera sera. But we decided it would be prudent to just go on home anyway. Besides, we didn't even bring enough food for the weekend.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    This passed summer as I was interning for the National Park Service, Prince William Forest Park in Virginia, we took a trip to Shenandoah.

One of the days there we were hiking White Oak Canyon, which is littered with magnificent waterfalls. It was very hot that day and we all decided to stop at the base of the water fall and head for a swim.

Just after swimming I stepped out and laid out on the rock, enhancing my already dark tan. All of a sudden my buddy and fellow intern yelled in a horrifying manner and I heard THUMP - SPLASH!!

I look up at the waterfall and there was a tiny kid looking down. Turns out that tiny kids friend fell, or was pushed, or was dared to jump, down the water fall. This water fall, to my best judgement, was approximately 60 - 70 feet high. The kid landed in the pool right next to us! You hear everyone say OMG, and then a dead hush for what seemed like an eternity. When all of a sudden the kid popped up out of the water and ran back up the trail to his friend.

Now none of us know how the kid came to come careening down this waterfall. But the fact that he was alive was an act of God. I really thought we were going to be dealing with a dead body. Later that day we caught up with some rangers and since we were working at a National Park we talked to them and told them about the incident. They said yes it was reported but no one responsible was found.

That was definitely my scariest moment in the woods.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

Scariest Moment in the Woods?

^^^^^ I remember doing that as a kid!
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB or BBXLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Spend enough time in the woods and you will get freaked out. One that comes to mind:
    Hiked up upon an abandoned concrete cellar. Peaked in to see what it looked like inside, and a turkey vulture about took my head off. Pretty scary though with a big bird flying at you out of the darkness.

I have also seen a Mountain lion in the wild without having any protection. She was with a cub too, so really put me on guard. Of course this was just after I had a conversation with a pro bow hunter who had been stalked before.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB or BBXLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Many years ago was on a fly-in fishing trip out of Lac Seul, ON. Canada, and me and a buddy made a portage into another lake to fish, about a mile long, and we fished for a few hours after making the portage, and had our limits of walleye, and northerns, and decided to portage back, dragging a 14ft V bottom boat, and all our equipment and gear and fish,,and a black bear started following us,,it kept getting closer and closer,,till finally was right upon us within about 20ft, and we were doing a stand-off with it,,finally we threw our stringers of fish at him as he was closing in on us. He took the fish and dragged the 2 stringers into the brush so we beat it back down the portage with everything,,as it took 2 trips and we were on our second,,got back out of the fly-in,,told the outfitter about it,,,later that summer, got a letter from him,,ours was the second time the bear had done it to fishermen that season,,3rd time later that spring the bear chased down some more fishermen,,,they had to go up and kill the bear to keep it from happening ever again. I have had a couple of other encounters of bears but nothing like that experience.
    I know you may have not had any other choice, but you just re-enforced that behavior for that bear. If you could have found a way to scare him off appropriately (pots/pans or bear mace), that bear may not have had to been put down. Just keep in mind that this is learned behavior. Glad you stayed safe though.

Quote Originally Posted by joefbtg28 View Post
    I know you may have not had any other choice, but you just re-enforced that behavior for that bear. If you could have found a way to scare him off appropriately (pots/pans or bear mace), that bear may not have had to been put down. Just keep in mind that this is learned behavior. Glad you stayed safe though.
    Don't they recommend you drop your pack and run, hoping the bear will investigate the easy meal and not the running meal? I think this is the same principle in applicantion by tossing a diversion.

Now, my last time at Linville Gorge, a local resident was telling me how she tosses out her fruit rinds, melons and the bears "just happen to find them" in her backyard. Again, she lives RIGHT next to the gorge. She was VERY nice and helpful but couldn't believe what I was hearing from a fellow backpacker. (as she was telling us to keep an eye out for bears as we were about to spend a week in the gorge.)

Big difference between the two I think.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Suspension
    Webbing+Rings
    Great stories coming out in this thread, good enough to inspire me for my first post!

This was quite a few years back when I was in cub scouts. We were spending the week camped out in large canvas tents at a nearby scout camp, with the theme for the week being "cave men". To go along with the theme, every time we did chores around camp, the scout leader would give us these little bone-shaped things painted different colours with which we would have to "pay" for our meals and extra treats all week long.

About the 3rd night in to the week every one of us gets awakened to what sound to us like the largest meanest bear scratching away at the back end of the tent trying to get in to devour us. Now of course, most of us run for the opposite end of the tent, but the bravest among us grabs a baseball bat that was laying in the tent and gives the monster a whack and we hear it scatter off into the bush. Once our heart rate drops back down to normal-ish, we formulate a plan to head on outside and investigate. 6 spooked kids with flashlights and a baseball bat go outside for a look around and have the eeriest sight of 4 sets of shiny eyes looking at us from high in the trees.

Sure enough, we'd been the victims of a raccoon raid... with the critters intent on getting the painted doggy biscuits our genius scout leaders had been giving out to all of us... Good thing it was just coons!

Hammock
    Custom Trail Lair; Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Incubator/Bandit 0
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    On a BWCA scout trip when I was 15, we decided to make camp on island of Burt Lake. Weather was beautiful. Fishing was great. We had just started to cook supper when storm rolled in. The eight of us in the crew all huddled under a tarp to ride out the storm. Lightning struck one of the trees the tarp was tied to and knocked us all to our feet. When we came to, we were all petrified and sore, but lightning was still all around us. Guide said to stand on life jackets to absorb shock if another hit. After storm rolled out, went to our tent and it was shredded by the tree splinters. As we tried to sleep, another storm rolled in with lightning all around. Worst night of my life.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    adjwebbing/whoopie
    Everytime it gets DARK!!
    God gave me two good legs and two good eyes I better use them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast