Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Dog and hammock camping

I was wondering if anyone brings their dig in trips involving a hammock. What do you do with the pooch at night. Considering bringing my pup and putting a ccf pad under the hammock for her and pitching a winter tarp.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My pup "Kiba" is my go to hiking partner. Depending on the size will determine on whether or not it will be comfy in the hammock. Kiba weighs around 20ibs, so it's really nice to have her in there. Here is a video of us camping in 14f temps and I show how she sleeps in there with me too.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    That's a nice looking dig fronkey. Mine is 40 lbs and doesn't even like sleeping on the bed. Loves to stay for an hour then jumps off and goes to sleep un her crate. Just don't see her staying in a hammock. As a hiker she rocks
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Images
    mine is a 70lb lab. Kaia. she sleeps in the hammock up to about 40 degrees. above that she sleeps on her quilt. she get in and out of hammock on own.

KK&K
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Does your hammock have a zippered bug netting? That will make a big difference on whether your dog will relax in the hammock or not, in my experience. I have a 35lb beagle that launched himself out of the hammock to chase things in my backyard at 2:30am the first time I hung with him. I've keep the zipper mostly closed on my WBBB since and he either sleeps alongside me (to the left of my head-left, feet-right laying style) or on top of my chest/stomach depending on whether or not he gets cold.

At that weight, make sure to keep his claws trimmed or ground so he doesn't scratch/tear your material. I don't religiously trim my dogs claws, but I at least make sure they are somewhat worn and not super sharp before I take him on a trip. If you use clippers, I wouldn't clip his claws right before you stick him in the hammock because the edges will be jagged.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    We went last night. She didnt sleep a wink being her first overnight. She stayed on the ground. Once shes more settled Ill put her in for the night. Shes 35# and its a good rule about the claws. We use a dremel style trimmer that keeps the edges off and a pair of ruff wear socks help too when were just day napping.

As for the ground we use a few panels of a zlite pad and a piece of reflectex. Layed on my tyvek ground sheet and shes sports her ruff wear cloudchaser jacket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Working on a DIY w no netting. Going to make fronkey's bug net with the elastic chord. Using 1.1 for hammock so afraid combined weight will be a bit high.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jnelson871 View Post
    That's a nice looking dig fronkey. Mine is 40 lbs and doesn't even like sleeping on the bed. Loves to stay for an hour then jumps off and goes to sleep un her crate. Just don't see her staying in a hammock. As a hiker she rocks
    In that case I would just hang my hammock low to the ground and do the CCF pad like you mentioned earlier. What I did the first few times with Kiba was keep the leash on my wrist while we slept just in case she jumped out (She never did).
    Now I don't even leash her and if she wants to get up in the night to go to the bathroom, I just toss her out and she comes back when she's done.

Quote Originally Posted by jnelson871 View Post
    Working on a DIY w no netting. Going to make fronkey's bug net with the elastic chord. Using 1.1 for hammock so afraid combined weight will be a bit high.
    I would highly suggest using a 1.9 for your hammock instead of 1.1. It's not because of the weight, but the moving around a dog will do to get comfy. Like mentioned above, the nails can be a problem for heavier dogs and they will bust right through a 1.1.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TallWv View Post
    We went last night. She dodnt sleep a wink.being her first overnight. She stayed on the ground. Obce she more settled Ill put her in for the night. Shes 35# and its a good rule about the claws. We use a dremel style trimmer that keeps the edges off and a pair of ruff wear socks help too when were just day napping.

As for the ground we use a few pabel of a zlite pad and a piece of reflectex. Layed on my tyvek ground sheet and shes sports here ruff wear cloudchaser jacket.
    That is pretty much the same thing that I do with my dog Hunter and Nelson.

It was a little bit warmer during the time of year that I took these photos, so they didn't want to use the ground pad. Dogs will be dogs!

P1010969 (Large).JPG

P1010973 (Large).JPG

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Will try hanging low and leashing her to my wrist. She us a Norwegian elk hound and will sleep in the snow if I let her lol. The pad us more for my piece of mind I think. Will take her out once I finish my hammock and report back. Definitly not letting her in the hammock.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast