Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I was about 2/3 up the yosimite falls trail, when i turned toward the open valley and told god that its ok to die here; it's beautiful. I was out of shape and was climbing the trail as quickly as possible; thought my heart was gonna pop through my chest.

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    Myself and 5 friends drove a pickup truck onto a private ranch where they had a small pond with some big cat fish, somewhere in Mississippi. We hopped out of the truck and walked over to pond. On one side of us was some pretty tall shrubs & bamboo stye open-range fence that you couldn't see beyond to well, the other an open field and nowhere to run. About 5 minutes into fishing, one of the biggest, loudest, meanest animals I've ever seen for the first time came busting through this shrub fence running at a dead heat towards us. We ran over to the truck, some jumped inside the cab, some jumped into the back and a couple of us kept the truck between us and the animal. This guy was every bit of 2,000 lbs.

The Brahman bull proceeded to jump on the side of the pickup slamming every bit of it's weight over and over onto the side of the pick up, it sounded like it was going rip the truck into. One old fella picked up a hoe from the back of the truck and started hitting it over the head, nothing seem to stop it. Finally, a person started the truck and began over-revving the motor and it stopped, wandered over into a nearby field and was snorting loudly.

I thought to be a dead-man.

Come to find out, one of it's cow's gave birth in the night was protecting it's young.

Below was the welcoming committee - Keep the pole...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Whitley Gap Shelter

The AT in north GA and NC took a beating with some bad tornadoes a few years ago. One night some hiking companions and I on a week long section hike ended up at Whitley Gap shelter just as the weather moved in. We were totally spent after a long day and just gulped down some food and headed for our shelters.

I set up my hammock/tarp while one pair crawled into a mountaineering tent. The others all headed for the shelter. As the night went on lightning cracked and the wind howled. Guy lines that had been banjo string tight when I went to bed slackened in the high winds and my tarp began to flap against me like a sail broken loose. I was hanging from a pair of foot diameter maples in some low underbrush, hoping to break the wind. Well, it wasn't working...and the trees swayed so much I was afraid they were going to snap my tarp ridgeline (zing-it doesn't stretch much).

Every so often the wind and water would build where it sounded like a freight train coming down the valley. I knew for sure this was the front end of a tornado roaring over the hillside. Every time I though "well, this is it".....figuring I was about to be incinerated by a bolt of lightning or crushed under one of the trees in the area. This went on basically all night. Fortunately I actually stayed warm and dry, just scared of imminent death.

Come morning my friends crawled out of their tent like there had been a gentle spring shower. Never was I more jealous of the ground dwellers. On the other hand....my friends in the shelter were far more miserable throughout the night than me. The front of the shelter was facing right into the oncoming wind so everyone was soaked. So this was the scariest night out for me and also the worst weather....

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7d
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Suspension
    straps whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by HungLow View Post
    Myself and 5 friends drove a pickup truck onto a private ranch where they had a small pond with some big cat fish, somewhere in Mississippi. We hopped out of the truck and walked over to pond. On one side of us was some pretty tall shrubs & bamboo stye open-range fence that you couldn't see beyond to well, the other an open field and nowhere to run. About 5 minutes into fishing, one of the biggest, loudest, meanest animals I've ever seen for the first time came busting through this shrub fence running at a dead heat towards us. We ran over to the truck, some jumped inside the cab, some jumped into the back and a couple of us kept the truck between us and the animal. This guy was every bit of 2,000 lbs.

The Brahman bull proceeded to jump on the side of the pickup slamming every bit of it's weight over and over onto the side of the pick up, it sounded like it was going rip the truck into. One old fella picked up a hoe from the back of the truck and started hitting it over the head, nothing seem to stop it. Finally, a person started the truck and began over-revving the motor and it stopped, wandered over into a nearby field and was snorting loudly.

I thought to be a dead-man.

Come to find out, one of it's cow's gave birth in the night was protecting it's young.

Below was the welcoming committee - Keep the pole...

More probable he was protecting his cow and not the calf. Cows go into heat soon after delivery.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Wow, so many to choose from. Plus so many neat posts!

My first night camping in the back country in the Smokies, EVERY sound was a bear coming to eat my head. My son slept like a rock next to me, the joys of being 10 & ignorant. (OMG, that was a long time ago, he's 32 now)

I was last in my group on the AT, had decided to hike further than planned cause it was a good trail, clear night & perfect weather. I hit a large patch of slippery roots on a 90 degree turn, tried to turn, kept going straight, towards a very tall cliff (I'm guessing 200', not straight down, but steep enough that I would have been hurt.) Thankfully there was a sapling just large enough to keep me from going over, I held on to that tree for dear life. Yea, took a few minutes to slow down my heart & remember to breath again.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY Walmart Fabric
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Strap & Carabiner

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
    There was this...

http://panhandlepedaling.wordpress.c...nfested-swamp/

pretty much all of my trips end up with me scared...

http://monkeyweazeladventures.wordpr...e-first-cross/
    Titi Creek Trail... My kinda trail

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    You saw my post ,that was it. I never have heard a roar before,it freaked me out for sure. The not knowing what it was is the worst part.

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Not really too scary.....just hair-raising at first. Wolf.
    One night laid in the hammock and listened to 5 packs howling around me in some dandy wolf harmony. I was alone. I considered it a Gift from above.
    Scariest was one night on the SHT with a moose and calf crashing around in the woods near camp. Trumpeting and sounding like a battalion of giants.
    Shug

Two noticeable wolf encounters, Shug
    One was on an island in Quetico as we were setting up our gear for a night after an all day paddle. Something crashed through the brush right behind us. It was a deer being chased by a wolf who went up over the knob and down to the gravel bar right in front of us to swim away. That wolf stopped and looked back at us for ten seconds, just before plunging in after the deer that was on it's way swimming to the next island. That was my wife's first 10 day canoe trip and a great one.

Another was up on another wilderness lake about 30 miles away from the first area. As we watched a moose swim to a far shore, the sun started going down. We started counting the wolf calls at 7:00pm, first one, then two and three. More and more joined in until we lost count at at least 15-20. They howled all night until 4am as we laid out on the previous days sun warmed rocks looking out over a crystal clear view of the northern stars.

Pure heaven!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20, KAQ 1, Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing / buckles
    Images
    Great video capture Shug! A wolf is the one thing I haven't encountered that I really would like to see.

Not bothered by critters but some humans bother me. About 30 yrs ago my backpacking buddy and I were hiking south out of NC into GA on the AT. It had rained from the time we started. We had been discussing some recent encounters folks on the AT had north of us where they were mugged and gear stolen. One may have even been killed. We never liked staying at trail shelters that were closer than a mile to a road because of drive ins causing trouble. Sometimes shooting at shelters for kicks. It had rained every minute since we started so we decided to bed down, against our better judgement, at a shelter that was within seeing distance of a forest service road . After we settled in up drives two clowns, one looked very much like a grizzly bear, and they come to the shelter with pretty empty packs. We start thinking "stolen". Grizz opens his pack and pulls out a quart of Jack. Uh oh, trouble. He and his bud polish off about half the qt and then ask if we want to play a game. OH, CRAP! It's a dice game and when he goes to get the dice and his pack falls over, a nice and shiny .45 falls out. This ain't gonna be pretty. We are hoping these two will drink themselves into a stupor and we humor them playing what we found out many years later is the game of Farkle. We ended up staying awake all night watching these two snore. We didn't leave because it was flooding rain and we figured as drunk as they were we could take them before they could get the gun. As we tried to sneak away at first light, Grizz woke up and pulled out an old Optimus hiker stove to make coffee. He primed the thing with about a pint of gas and lit it inside the shelter. Last time we saw them, the flames from that stove were about to the ceiling of the shelter and old Grizz was hung over and watching her burn. We heard that shelter had burned to the ground not long after we got home. Not sure if Grizz did it since it used to burn occasionally by vandals. After that little experience we went back to our ways of not only avoiding shelters close to the road but I haven't slept in a shelter since.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast