Hammock
    DD Traveler
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Air mat
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    There are these stupid owls around here which make heavy breathing monster noises, you know like Darth Vader. It sounds like some big horrible monster stalking you in the bushes.
    They make the breathing out noise about every 5 seconds as their mating call or whatever.

I've had one of them harass me when out alone. Luckily I already knew what it was after dealing with one on my fence at home (when I had the dog and cat as backup ).

But if I didn't already know they were "ghoul owls" (I don't know what sort, that's what I have named them) I would have done a runner out of there

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    While my wife and I were sitting at a picnic table cooking hamburgers at Asseteague National Park, a herd of wild horses (6 or 7) charge at us, grabbed a loaf of bread off the table and ran about 100 yards and ate the bread. They knew what they were doing:>)
    I used to go there a lot in the Summers since it was a dog-friendly beach. One day we were filling up our water at the spigot on our way to the beach and a horse walked up and started drinking from the puddle below the spigot. There was a sign right there that prohibited giving water to the horses... We all stood there laughing for a few minutes, wondering what to do. When a several hundred pound beast wants the water that I've just spilled on the ground how do I stop him?
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    hammaka, diy tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    web
    i was fishing in a pond once right where the stream joined the pond. it has a strip of land sticking out about 10 feet long and about 3 feet wide.i was fishing on the stream side, catching bream like crazy.i was putting them on a stringer in the water behind me, when i heard my fish splashing around. i thought the dang turtles was after my fish. when i turned around a 6 foot gator had my fish in his mouth.i didnt even take time to reel my line in. i bit it off at the reel grabbed my bucket and ran.
    you cant please everyone, so ya got to please yourself. - ricky nelson

HYOH

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I was hanging in a state park down in Mississippi. It was late afternoon, I was alone and lovin' it. Out of nowhere three huge, burly guys walk up on my camp. FREAKED ME OUT! They start poking around in the brush around my camp without so much as a how do you do. I asked if I could help with something (praying it wouldn't be diggin' my own grave). They politely explained that they were hunting for a geocache. Turned out my hammock was right on top of the cache
    God let me be the man that my dog thinks I am

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Lightning strike....mine was most definitely that lightning strike on June 13, 2007 that lifted my body off the ground and sent pain from my head down into my chest like I've never felt before. I'm now able to read people's minds and turn off all the lights in my house by blinking however.
    This is my signature.

Thanks for this thread! read it all after I got home from work this morning. spent my "night" strolling down memory lane! For scariest I have two to contribute #2 and the best story: was winding down a solo trip on coastal Alaska. the last night was spending outside Valdez. Found a nice little spot outside of town on the edge of a sphagnum bog. I woke up in the middle of the night with my tent shaking, thought it was an earthquake and went back to sleep. was awakened a little latter by the tent shaking again, then I heard it! A low huffing and the tent shaking more violently! I slowly, quietly got out of my bag to look out the door to see where the bear was. didn't see him and thought he wandered off. No such luck just as I was calming down he huffed again. I then looked up, he was straddling my tent. There was something in the tree he wanted! I slowly pulled my .357 and waited to be included on the menu, or at lest stepped on. I knew the gun wouldn't do me much good against an alaskan brown. An eternity later he gave up and walked off. never did know what he was after. #1 when son was small,3 or 4 and we were car camping he stepped and a yellow jacket nest. i spent the night in the er he spent several days in the hospital. many, many stings each wasn't sure he was going to make it to the er. He's now 34 and still camps! Howard

Quote Originally Posted by 1Armadillo View Post
    Slo -A long time ago when I was about 12, a neighbor and I spent the night in a detached garage in our neighborhood. It was the proverbial dark and stormy night and when screech owl started calling in a dead tree beside the garage, it definitely got our attention, since neither of us had heard one before. Listen to the recording at Shewie's post.
    Gave it a listen, nothing like it. And there sounded like half-dozen all in synch over-top of eachother like row-your-boat. High pitched but guttural with a little trill on the crescendos. Started at about 3am and went on for about an hour or so. Think heavy metal scream+horror movie scream+wolf howl and it's somewhere in there. Scariest thing I've ever heard and I've got a lot of dirt time.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Didn't exactly scare me, nor was in the woods, but I think had I been sober at the time I would have pissed myself a bit.

A few years ago I was in Whistler BC partying hard. Well eventually I realized I had hit my limit so I decided to walk back to camp. Anyway, I stop at a crosswalk with bushes on either side. So the entrance to the walkway was approximately 8ft wide or so. I stopped to text my buddies that I had left the bar, and while doing so I heard some people from across the street yell "holy sh!t!!".

It was at that time that I looked up, and no more than 6ft from me was a brown bear USING THE CROSSWALK. It was walking away from me, meaning that it had passed by my side, getting within approx 3ft of me. I attribute my lack of noticing it to my current fuzzy state of mind. Anyhow, this thing was taller than my hip on all fours, and I'm 5'-8". Being inebriated I think I made some comment like "CROIKY it's a @!#$%^& grizzly bear!" Meanwhile this bear is walking straight towards the people on the other end of the crosswalk. They simply backed out of its way and it passed without incident.

I'd never seen a bear before in person, and I'm glad the first experience was a mild one! I couldn't believe how "tame" the thing seemed. It's body language suggested it barely even noticed the people around.

Heard what I thought was a loud snoring noise on the way to my tent at night, when a bull moose trots out of these alders in front of me. Unbelievable. I was scared and in awe at the same time because it was the first moose I had seen on foot. His eyes were like 10 inches apart, gigantic rack, just a massive animal, probably weighed around one thousand pounds. He just stared at me. He was in the general direction I was going to my tent, and I just slowly diagonally went towards/away from him. Once he saw me heading away from him, he stomped back off into the alders.

Felt like I had seen a dinosaur. More cool than scary, but was pretty tense for the both of us for a moment. Oh that and he could have bludgeoned me to death at any moment.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Last winter, my girlfriend and I were camping in the Adirondacks in NY. Late at night, while sitting by the campfire drinking wine, we suddenly heard the very loud "CRACK" of a big stick breaking about 10 yards away in the dark. It wasn't the sound of a stick being stepped on, but more like someone standing there, breaking a very large branch (broomstick size) on purpose.

I looked up, startled, and was just about to mention how unusual it sounded when it happened again, just seconds later! I turned my Black Diamond's headlamp onto the high-power spotlight mode and looked at the spot where the noise came from. Nothing. No reflections from an animal's eyes and no sound of something/somebody leaving the area. I was convinced it was a person, but we were hiking off-trail and were a couple of miles from the nearest trail or campsite. If someone or something large enough to break a stick that size had come that close, we would have certainly heard it walking in the leaves.

My girlfriend is absolutely fearless -- no fear of the dark, the woods, etc. She looked over her shoulder briefly (the noise had been behind where she was sitting), shrugged her shoulders, and called me a baby. :-) I've done LOTS of solo camping and have never heard a sound like what we heard. She wasn't the least bit concerned. I was convinced someone was there, but there obviously wasn't.

Last fall, we were on a five-day canoe camping adventure in the Five Ponds Wilderness area of the ADKs. We camped on a large island the first few nights, hoping to minimize the hassle of having to deal with bears. On the third night, she got up from the campfire to go and pee. She always just walks off into the dark a long ways, unafraid. But she immediately came back and said she was scared and wanted me to go with her. As she is usually so totally unafraid of the dark woods, it spooked me that she was suddenly afraid; it was actually the very first time I've ever heard her say it, and we've done a lot of camping.

I was worried there was a legitimate reason for her to suddenly be afraid, but there apparently was not (thank goodness!).

Sometimes, I guess you just get spooked!

Take it easy,
    desmobob

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast