Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Fine with me, Mule.

This is a re-post from last year for those who need maps, directions, and GPS coodinates.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker
    OK, for those who like topos and GPS, here is some eye candy. I also attached the Nebo Ridge Trail map you can get from the trailhead boxes. This is basically a repost from last year's hang--hope it helps someone. This will get you to Brown Hollow and from there to Browning Hill. If the itinerary changes, you're on your own.

I attached two topos with the trails marked in red. I made a mistake the first time I traced the trail (not having been there) and that line is marked with "x's." From the North Trailhead, go to waypoint #4, turn left and follow the trail down to the campsite (marked "C#1" on map) at Brown Hollow. The next morning, re-trace trail back to waypoint #4, turn left, and follow the trail through waypoints 5, 6, and 7. The other red trail heading East, then South from waypoint #5 is the Nebo Ridge Trail heading to the South trailhead.

Anyway, here are the coordinates:

1: N39 04.757' W086 14.920' (North Trailhead)

2: N39 04.375' W086 14.708' (Top of Wilkerson Hill)

3: N39 04.202' W086 14.665' (Stay on trail to left)

4: N39 04.204' W086 14.488' (Brown Hollow is down trail to left or stay to right to go to Browning Hill)

C#1: N39 04.099' W086 13.491' (Brown Hollow Campsite--this is NOT located off a little spur trail to the East as I drew on the map, but about the same distance to the West on the trail shown, in the next draw west of that spur. However, there were some nice campsites located on that spur.)

Next morning, re-trace steps up hill to waypoint #4, then go to #5:

5: N39 03.801' W086 14.600' (Junction of Combs Road--CROSS ROAD through small campsite and follow small trail to rear on the right. Stay away from small trail leading back to Combs Road on left side of campsite. Junction with Nebo Trail South-bound is a few hundred yards before arriving at Combs Road from the North.)

6: N39 03.726' W086 15.342' (Just before junction with another trail heading back to left. Stay to right--not a big deal on way to Browning Hill but you can miss this intersection (or get mighty confused) on way back.

7: N39 03.808' W086 15.988' (Fire pit in center of the stonehenge on Browning Hill--You Made It!)

Other coordinates for 2 other trailheads:

Berry Ridge Trailhead (about a mile from Brown Hollow campsite, coordinates are close, but may not be exact, and there is not a marked trailhead): N39 03.740' W086 13.002.

South Nebo Ridge Trailhead (about a 6-7 mile hike to Brown Hollow, passes right by Berry Ridge Trailhead): N39 01.106' W086 14.533'

OK, that should get you there! The trails are clear but unmarked (though I bet Mule's caution tape is still there), so you have to pay attention and it would be best to stick with someone familiar with the area.

--Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq &amp; tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I had a nice little visit to the hollow last night. Best night I've had in a long time. I figured that since I can't be there next month I'd leave you all a little present. I tore apart, dug out, and rebuilt the fire ring. Hope no one messes it up too badly before you all get to try it out. I can't post pics at the moment. . .I probably won't get 'em up 'till Monday or Tuesday.
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear DCF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by salamander42 View Post
    I had a nice little visit to the hollow last night. Best night I've had in a long time. I figured that since I can't be there next month I'd leave you all a little present. I tore apart, dug out, and rebuilt the fire ring. Hope no one messes it up too badly before you all get to try it out. I can't post pics at the moment. . .I probably won't get 'em up 'till Monday or Tuesday.
    Thank You Salamander

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ &amp; M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by salamander42 View Post
    Good lookin out brother.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    When you guys talk about browning hill nebo ridge etc. Are u talking about the sycamore loop?
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images

Hoosier Hang 2013??

Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    When you guys talk about browning hill nebo ridge etc. Are u talking about the sycamore loop?
    Nebo Ridge is a completely different area, not in the Deam Wilderness, but not far away.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images

Hoosier Hang 2013??

Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    Nebo Ridge is a completely different area, not in the Deam Wilderness, but not far away. Bonsaihiker posted the Nebo Ridge Trail map in post #72.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Crescent valley option

OK, Trout, Evileotter and I went in search of Crescent Valley yesterday. We found it. I am going to try to attach a video so you can all see it and help me decide if you'd rather have the HH here this year. Parking is excellent. Park at the Tower on Tower Ridge Road, take the Sycamore Trail loop off the main trail that heads to Terrell Cemetery, then bushwhack about 10 or 15 minutes through some Greenbriars and you are there. Hiking possibilities are many because you are camped in the center of the Sycamore Branch trail which goes by the Cemetary and Terrell Pond and connects with the Axiom Branch Trail too. I may put this on another thread so we can do a poll to see what you think.
    Here is the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfhe2Q88nGk
    Last edited by Mule; 03-16-2013 at 21:15. Reason: add link
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Please see the video and let me know if you even want to consider it as a good place for the HH this year, if it is to some of you I will make a new thread named Choose Location for Hoosier Hang and put a poll in the thread.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfhe2Q88nGk
    Take the poll here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69896
    Last edited by Mule; 03-16-2013 at 21:50.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast