Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images

HHSS handles 23F Temps!

I've been trying to dial in my HHSS system for proper level of insulation with outside temperatures... just completed a car camping trip over the weekend with an overnight low of 23F and had a VERY comfortable night.

Here's the setup: standard HHSS UC with OCF pad with space blanket on top. I added a 40F (900 down) top quilt to the UC below the OCF pad. I slept in a 15F Big Agnes Lost Ranger (650 down) sleeping bag with insulated air core pad inserted in the bag sleeve. My tarp was pulled low to the hammock with edges staked tight to the ground.

Great results! I stayed toasty warm with zero condensation in the hammock or UC.

A few weeks ago, I tried the standard HHSS UC with just the 40F TQ on top of me in the hammock during a 34F night - with marginal results. I bought the Big Agnes LR and pad 50% off at a local outfitter - using it inside the hammock and using my 40F TQ as a pseudo UQ really gave me a boost to handle the low 20s this past weekend. I feel I now have a setup to handle wide range of temps that I need.

Good Stuff!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Hennessy A-sym/Hex
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy

HHSS handles 23F Temps!

Great to hear. I just ordered my HHSS today. I'm not planning many winter hangs to start out with, but good to know you can tweak the setup to get to those lower temperatures.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Great to hear! Sounds like you had a pretty good weekend.

Images
    I used my SS this past weekend at the Mid-TN hang, and we saw 14* Sat. night. I had my down jacket(Marmot Zeus) layered under the SS pad and the space blanket on top and stayed quite comfortable. There were a few cool spots occasionally, but I would just rearrange the 15* sleeping bag I was using as a TQ and go right back to sleep. I was warm enough that I did not want to crawl out at 7:30 when I heard the rest of camp out and about.

I did use the over cover, so by morning I had a layer of ice on the underside of it. I tried to feel around in the undercover and on the space blanket to check for excessive condensation when I got up. Everything seemed fine, but when I got home and put everthing out to dry the hammock showed more dampness than I expected. I shook off the over cover before packing it up trying to get rid of most of the ice, but there could have been enough left to dampen the hammock when it thawed.

Ragnall

• + New Posts