Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

Sewing Machine Choice

Just bought a sewing machine and thought I'd share my experience in choosing it.

I have used an old Singer model 348 since I started making gear two years ago. It's fiddley and I never could really get it adjusted. I managed to make a hammock and a pack, but fought the sewing machine every step of the way. I finally gave up on the machine.

Many use inexpensive new machines, but they are made in asia somewhere and have reliability questions. I didn't want to spend $100 plus only to have it break the first time things got tough.

Funbun, a now and then poster here, got his machine from a ebay guy who refurbishes old singers. That sounded like a good way to go, so I contacted him myself. Unfortunately, He no longer sells the machines, citing ebay running up the cost of old singers and the competition from cheap imports.

But, he was most generous in advising me on WHICH old machine to buy. He likes some, but not all, Singer Class 15 machines and the better old Japanese Precision imports.

He also advised me not to spend money on the Singer 348 because it has a rep. for not staying adjusted.

After many "not that one" advisements because of nonmetal gears or other reasons, he approved this one, and I bought it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

and it has been serviced and tuned up front. I was attracted by the "sews weight layers of denim" claim. My advisor says it was made by Toyota after WWII.

Delivery next week. I'll post back with my impression after a few miles.

I'd also like to thank Ramblinrev for the how to videos. I'm watching and learning for a while each day.

Tom

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    That beast is bomb proof. It might not do a zig zag but by the same token there may be after market attachments still available for it that will. That's if you care enuf about a zig-zag stitch. They went for decades without zigzag and things didn't fall apart.

Point of warning however... I suspect if you try to do stretch fleece on that machine you will break stitches every time. That's because a straight stitch is not suitable for stretch fabrics. You can get away with it with a zigzag if you play around with it enuf. So if you plan on doing a lot of stretch fleece stitching you might want to look for an attachment. Assuming the machine does not do zig zag.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    That beast is bomb proof. It might not do a zig zag but by the same token there may be after market attachments still available for it that will.
    Wow, I never knew you could buy a zig zag attatchment for old machines like that. Is this true for most old machines...like an old 1950's model Sewmore 404 for example?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    operative terms being "may be" I know years ago before machines had the zig zag feature my mom had an attachment for her machine that did zig zag to a limited degree. To what extent they are still available I have no clue. You'd have to talk to a dealer to find out. Or take your chances with ebay.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Thanks!

• + New Posts