Closest spot near Denver to hang?

I'm thinking about buying a setup and hanging this weekend as a test run. I'm looking for a suggestion for a drive-up spot I can take a front wheel drive car and hang my hammock--basically--right there. Maintained fireroad, not rutted, would be mandatory as I have very little clearance. I'm not looking for a car-camp campground, just a side of the road forest land site with trees and nice atmosphere.

Suggestions?

Weekend is getting close. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Drive down Deckers Road (by Deckers ). You'll find lots of little pull-off campsites along that road. With the nice weather here, it may be tough to find a car-access site unless you get there Friday afternoon/evening.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Drive down Deckers Road (by Deckers ). You'll find lots of little pull-off campsites along that road. With the nice weather here, it may be tough to find a car-access site unless you get there Friday afternoon/evening.
    How about the dirt road across from the Deckers Store? Or another dirt road that would be passable for a few miles off the main highway? That would be ideal. My little car can't deal with too many ruts but Dirt and gravel are fine...

Maybe just turn at the store, head all the way past the CO-67 and the Pine Creek turns that go to Sedalia and keep on the dirt for a while... Hmmm...

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Have you checked out this site: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...ed%2520Camping

I know of 2 places: One is about 20 minutes outside of Ned - Rainbow Lakes. There's a campground there but they also have some first-come-first-serve (FCFS) spots not in the campground that you can drive up to. I would call the ranger and ask about them: Boulder Ranger District: 303-541-2500

I just got back from camping there this morning. I got there using my Subaru Forester. You have to slow down to about 20-25mph when you get past about halfway up the road that turns off of Peak2Peak Hwy (look for the Rainbow Lakes sign).

The other place is about 20 miles north of Ft Collins - Red Feather Lakes. Same deal - there's a campground but they also have FCFS spots away from the campground that are isolated.

In both cases, the word is that if you haven't got a spot by noon on Friday, all the spots are gone for the weekend.

HTH
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Here's a listing of those "dispersed" camping areas around Ned: http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/arp/...28024&actid=34
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Quote Originally Posted by sliver View Post
    Have you checked out this site: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...ed%2520Camping

I know of 2 places: One is about 20 minutes outside of Ned - Rainbow Lakes. There's a campground there but they also have some first-come-first-serve (FCFS) spots not in the campground that you can drive up to. I would call the ranger and ask about them: Boulder Ranger District: 303-541-2500

I just got back from camping there this morning. I got there using my Subaru Forester. You have to slow down to about 20-25mph when you get past about halfway up the road that turns off of Peak2Peak Hwy (look for the Rainbow Lakes sign).

The other place is about 20 miles north of Ft Collins - Red Feather Lakes. Same deal - there's a campground but they also have FCFS spots away from the campground that are isolated.

In both cases, the word is that if you haven't got a spot by noon on Friday, all the spots are gone for the weekend.

HTH
    Quote Originally Posted by sliver View Post
    Here's a listing of those "dispersed" camping areas around Ned: http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/arp/...28024&actid=34
    Awesome! Exactly what I needed!

I really just want to hang for a couple nights to make sure my back can handle it overnight and out of doors before I start hiking in. I would hate to find out my back is shot when I'm 10 miles from the trailhead.

• + New Posts